RC poster

New Dewalt brushless motor?

So i went to dewalt's home page to find the closest service center to see if i could run over and pick up a 14.4v motor and saw that they have introduced a new drill with a brushless motor in it. I was wondering if that motor would be able to work in the summit.

The website says that it is supposed to run 57% longer than their brushed motors and cooler. I am just curious if i should go ahead and get the 14.4v brushed motor or wait for this new brushless motor.
    Last edited by summitbasher; 06-15-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    I believe you will need a new speed control as well if you purchase a brushless motor.

It's back to the old 1:1 saying, again....

"Speed costs money! How fast do you want to go?"
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 06-15-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

Get the 14.4 it is proven,it works
    With the evx 2 I have run mine hard for a long time still going strong. It's not a rocket engine but can be geared a bit more aggressively.a bit more speed ,yes
    but gobs of torque

Sent using magic and trickery
    Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    I believe you will need a new speed control as well if you purchase a brushless motor.

It's back to the old 1:1 saying, again....

"Speed costs money! How fast do you want to go?"
    Correct. The EVX-2 will not run a brushless motor.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    What would be a good esc to get for it? I think I will get the brushed motor now and experiment with the brushless motor when it comes out later.

RC Qualifier
    The EVX-2 "maybe" be able to control your brushed motor.
    END_OF_LINE

You are then back to the brush less equation. The only speed controllers that are worth attaching to a brush less motor for a heavy summit is a remind rx8, castle mmm or mmp or one of those foreign esc.

And unless that brush less dealt is waterproof, or is out of this world torquey then you would be better off just buying the complete brush less system.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-16-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Quote Originally Posted by flp3_16 View Post
    Not sure what you are getting at here.

RC Qualifier
    Can anyone tell me what's the part number for the dewalt motor. The 14.4 motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what's the part number for the dewalt motor. The 14.4 motor.
    396505-21 sv. The "sv" seems to be optional - some places list it, some do not.

theres about six different part numbers for the same/similar motor, the one that ksb51rl says is correct and probably the most advertised.
    There is basically two types, the Old type with 4 mounting lugs on the edge of the can, you don't want this.
    The New type with the flat end, this is what you want.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    theres about six different part numbers for the same/similar motor, the one that ksb51rl says is correct and probably the most advertised.
    There is basically two types, the Old type with 4 mounting lugs on the edge of the can, you don't want this.
    The New type with the flat end, this is what you want.
    All correct! Even Black and Decker (same company as Dewalt) has different numbers for the same part.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flp3_16 View Post
    The EVX2 WILL be able to control your brushed motor... not maybe it works. We all do it. It will NOT be able to control a BRUSHLESS motor.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so the Dewalt and Black and Decker 14.4 motor are the same?

i have only seen schematic drawings for the black and decker and looks the same. I must of deleted the black and decker bit out am sure i had put that in too. I haven't seen the black and decker motor but the schematic drawings it looks to be the same motor. Maybe different winds/turns but the can itself looks to be the same.
    Black and decker is for the diy enthuisiast while dewalt is more professional trade.
    This might just be the better gearbox in the dewalt, compared to the black and decker. everything else the same. I'll have a look see if i can find it again, it has been a while.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    i have only seen schematic drawings for the black and decker and looks the same. I must of deleted the black and decker bit out am sure i had put that in too. I haven't seen the black and decker motor but the schematic drawings it looks to be the same motor. Maybe different winds/turns but the can itself looks to be the same.
    Black and decker is for the diy enthuisiast while dewalt is more professional trade.
    This might just be the better gearbox in the dewalt, compared to the black and decker. everything else the same. I'll have a look see if i can find it again, it has been a while.
    That makes me wonder if one is better then the other and is one is cheaper then the other.
    also who makes the motor. Basically cut the middle man out and order direct.
    I actually work for a company the is a dewalt service center so I've been quizzing my hand tool guy but haven't been able to get much out of him.

I've tried to find the black and decker motor but haven't found one, I lost all my internet bookmarks a while back.
    The dewalt/ black and decker factory is maybe 40mile from where I live. They are quite secretive.
    I contacted dewalt and told them that my motor had been damged, then gave him the motor number, but when I looked online for a replacement, I could only find the part number giving above and asked would that motor be suitable for my drill and why are the numbers different.
    When they replied they said, its a revised part numbers and I should take the drill to the local service centre.
    I would guess that the last two digits are the motor timing number but they wouldn't say.
    Dewalt motors are quite inexpensive for what they are, and they're used successfully with the evx2.
    Last edited by trax de max; 06-17-2012 at 01:43 PM.

B&D 14.4V motor p/n = 579724-04 but I've only uncovered them in the UK or in NZ.
    I'm thinking it has to be the same motor as 396050-21.

RC Qualifier
    What I find really weird is I have fried so many B&D motors in my drills but have never smoked a dewalt drill motor. That just makes me think that the dewalt are better. Also a dewalt drill is almost 200 bucks vs. The Walmart 50 dollar drill.
    I appreciate everyone's research and I know i will be going dewalt powered real soon.

you can just buy the motor for $30, from online robot shop, This is the new style.
    I think they last longer because of the gearboxes, dewalt is designed for all day use commercial. Black and decker is used in the home.

RC poster
    Outside of soldering the wires to the dewalt 14.4v motor is there any modifications needed for the motor to fit or will it just bolt right on.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by summitbasher View Post
    Outside of soldering the wires to the dewalt 14.4v motor is there any modifications needed for the motor to fit or will it just bolt right on.
    Search the thread, there are several good "how to's" with photos. You will need to remove the pinion from the Dewalt. You must also slightly modify the mounting holes on the motor mounting bracket with a Dremel or small file(I used a file).

The Kid
    The Kid

RC poster
    I didn't even think of looking for a how-to thread. I'm not thinking straight today; I'm blaming the heat.

RC Qualifier
    Basher,
    This link came from the recent "Feel the need for speed" thread...... An example of a great, "How To", one of many here on the Summit forum....

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread....-LOTS-OF-PICS
    The Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    Basher,
    This link came from the recent "Feel the need for speed" thread...... An example of a great, "How To", one of many here on the Summit forum....

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread....-LOTS-OF-PICS
    Yes, that's a good one, but please don't spread it around. The canadians are enough of a problem as it is. (Zing!!! pav, j/k)
    If I ever feel the need to install a 396505-21SV, that is the tutorial I plan to consult.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Yes, that's a good one, but please don't spread it around. The canadians are enough of a problem as it is. (Zing!!! pav, j/k)
    If I ever feel the need to install a 396505-21SV, that is the tutorial I plan to consult.
    Easy there big fella......lol

Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Easy there big fella......lol

Ok it was Tapatalk
    I just had to give pav some incentive to lump me up if/when we meet.

Besides, I thought you lived in a rainforest on an island in the Pacific Ocean!

Still Canada ..... The Hawaii of Canada
    But still Canada,the capital city of B.C
    Is Victoria bc. Dont tell Vancouver
    He he he...

Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    Thanks for the link that will help a lot when i go to swap but the motor. However, my wife's car died last night so i guess the dewalt upgrade is going to have to wait until her car is fixed.