RC Qualifier

Suspension setup running onroad// lowering the slash

Hi there, I am trying to bring the car a bit lower, to make easier/ more stable to drive with 3s onroad.

I am following Traxxas shock mounting advice on page 21 in the 6807 manual.

They are mentioning, to add a 4mm spacer to the front shock-piston...there is already a 5mm spacer installed from the factory- adding another one would be like 9mm total....

What do you think of that? The spacer is just adding more preload and will increase also the ride-hight- and also an overall stiffer front suspension, with less total travel amount, correct?

Any thoughts, suggestions?

So far I put the front shock to the 3rd hole and back shock to the 4th hole, that gives me around a 1cm lower car- no addational spacer added yet.

Would you use the black sway bars?

After only 3 bats running, 1 front shock is already leaking, any quick fix?

Thanks!
    Last edited by lcaa; 06-15-2012 at 08:06 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Hi- I check the 2 spare plastic parts which come with the ultimate:

http://buy.traxxas.com/advanced_sear...p?partnum=2668

But actually, the 1 for the ultimate looks different, the sick one in the middle is the 8mm, the one next to it should be the 4mm, which is NOT there...

Looks like, the one mounted from the factory, is the 4mm one.

I really "LIKE" this Traxxas documentation There is room for improvement-

@ Traxxas: are you collecting those errors in documentation/ partlists somewhere, so we can send it to you?

What is ment then? Remove the 4mm, replacing it with the 8mm spacer?

@ all: I know it is kind of a minor mistake, but still worth to clarify- sorry to bother you

RC Qualifier
    You could always get Revo 3.3 shocks.

Mine sits very low to the ground. The top of the shock is in the hole closest to the center of the truck. The bottom of the shock is in the hole that is closest to the wheel. I have Big Bore shocks on it and it sits low and is very stable. I have a rollbar on it so I rarely run a body on it. It is a great setup for high speed runs
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    ElSob: you did that on front and rear, correct?

The Big Bore shocks which come stock with the ultimate?

Thanks!

Yes,, I did it on the front and rear. The truck sits very low and has great control at high speeds. It's amazing how low these trucks can go with very little changes to the suspension.

RC Qualifier
    Are you using the black sway bars?

Yes I am using the black sway bars. My suspention arms are RPM and I have Mip X-Duty axles. It is a bullet proof setup

RC Enthusiast
    I am following Traxxas shock mounting advice on page 21 in the 6807 manual.
    They are mentioning, to add a 4mm spacer to the front shock-piston...there is already a 5mm spacer installed from the factory- adding another one would be like 9mm total....
    LCCA -
    I followed the exact same instructions and thought the exact same thing.

EL Sob - I have my ultimate setup for street/speed. It’s a stock ultimate with the following changes: lowered the shocks per the manual, spacers per the manual, Robber street tires, changed out to the black sway bars front and rear, slipper clutch, 19/54 and a 3S 5000 lipo. It’s real fast but at hight speeds it starts hydroplaning. It starts to drift and get real squirrely. You have said that yours is stable at real high speeds so I am curious if yours is hydroplaning as well. This is on dry payment, straight line, etc…

Also, what speeds are you achieving? I got mine up to 67 so far and that was with the extra pinion that came with the ultimate.

RC Enthusiast
    Also wondering if the street fighter tires or the xo-1 tires would help with this.

RC Qualifier
    What do you mean be hydroplaning on a DRY surface- I think this is only related to a WET surface?

May be your tires are balloning quite a bit, making it very unstable caused by the small contact area of the tires...?

I am using PL street fighters (2.2 of course) but only driven with 2s yet + stock gearing- so far so good.

What spacers did you actually use, if you had the same problem I had with the manual? Only one 4mm?

Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    I associate hydroplaning with wet surfaces as well, until the slash did it on dry! I know it sounds crazy, but the slash starts sliding right or left on me. Dry surface, hight speed - about 60 mph or so. I think it has something to do with the tires (obviously), maybe balooning, no sure just yet. 3S lipo is bad to the bone. I forgot to mention that i also added a 100 gram weight to the front of the slash and I cut holes in the body - otherwise the the front end will lift and that baby will fly.

As far as the spacers, i just did what it said and added a 4mm spacer!

RC Enthusiast
    meaning: left that spacer in that was already in and added another 4mm spacer.

RC Qualifier
    Ok understand, you had another 4mm spacer from a different car, because I dont have a 4mm spacer extra.

I have an 8mm instead, which came with the car- but still don't understand, why would they suggest that, since a spacer would elevate the car, correct? It has obviously other effects in addition...

RC Qualifier
    i moved the shocks in on the tower and out on the arms, thicker shock fluid and stiffer springs, stiff sway bars, streetfighters and beadlocks seem to be more stable because of the extra weight, and get your body as long as possible and cut a couple vent holes in back. before i did this it was always on the verge of disaster. now its a super stable rocket

RC Racer
    i have the same set up as u EL SoB.....very nice set up

RC Enthusiast
    May be your tires are balloning quite a bit, making it very unstable caused by the small contact area of the tires...?
    Lcca: I think you are correct. 3S lipo, 19/54 and 60 mph = tires ballooning up and tiny surface area, therefore – unstable slash and crash!

Looking into XO-1 tires on the slash 4x4. I just want to go fast and be able to not crash.

Is that too much to ask for? Suggestions welcome…