RC Racer

LSD Diff for the E-Maxx? How about a Locker?

I know the Summit has a remote locker, and I have heard that it won't fit the E-Maxx. I have found Spools on the net, but would rather not use a spool in a basher that I want to be able to handle high speed on the road.

Is there any form of LSD that will fit in an E-Maxx or ANY remote locker that can be adapted?

I was about to drop the money on a set of 1/8 scale diffs for the E-Maxx but started thinking maybe there's something better?

FYI for those of you not in the Automotive Racing Scene, LSD is not only a drug your parents did for fun, it also stands for Limited Slip Differential. When one tire starts to spin more than the other, it comes in gradually to apply full power to the one that is not spinning. Usually using clutches or other type of slipper assembly.

RC Qualifier
    I doubt you would get a remote locker in there,so far as lsd goes thicker oil is going to be your best bet short of the spool.

RC Competitor
    The E Maxx has a limited slip in it. It uses thick oil to provide the resistance. Different oil viscosity can be used to change how it reacts. If you are looking for something such as a Detroit then you are out of luck. I would not recommend using a summit diff even if you could get it to fit and there are no other remote lockers that I know of. Using a spool may result in a lot of broken parts depending on your setup and how you drive.

RC Racer
    Well that kind of bites. Alright thicker oil it is. Now the question is what should I put in there. The last diff I put together, I honestly didn't know what to use, so I grabbed my grease gun and filled the housing up with ball joint grease. Sounded like a good idea at the time. It was a stock 3906 diff that I was going to try and make due with until I bought the new ones. It lasted about 30 mins before the internal spider let go.

RC Competitor
    Traxxas sells oil for the diffs there are others that sell it also but that is what I use because it is easy. I have never driven on road only off so cant help you with what weight to use. For the off road driving that I do I prefer between 50k and 100k oil, as for on road I have no clue.

RC Racer
    50k and 100k what does that translate to in weight of oil. I have used everything from motor oil to baby oil as shock oil. (yes baby oil works and works fairly well in shocks) I am a real car guy, so I have all sorts of oils and stuff, from Transmission Oil, 80w90w gear oil, assorted motor oils from 5w30 to straight 50w oil.

RC Competitor
    50,000 and 100,000 weight. You can get it just about anywhere that sells rc parts.
    It needs bigger tires.

I am an automotive mechanic... there are no 1:1 fluids that are as thick as diff fluid that I know of.

For what you are doing, I suggest 100k+ (100,000wt) as a starting point. You may end up with 500k or maybe 300k to get it set up the way you want. You can also mix two different weights to get any weight in between the two:
    Here is an oil weight calculator.

As far as a geared LSD... there isn't one.
    As far as a selectable diff... the Summit is the only one and it will not fit in the bulkhead of a Maxx.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I am an automotive mechanic... there are no 1:1 fluids that are as thick as diff fluid that I know of.

For what you are doing, I suggest 100k+ (100,000wt) as a starting point. You may end up with 500k or maybe 300k to get it set up the way you want. You can also mix two different weights to get any weight in between the two:
    Here is an oil weight calculator.

As far as a geared LSD... there isn't one.
    As far as a selectable diff... the Summit is the only one and it will not fit in the bulkhead of a Maxx.
    So honestly you are saying this stuff is 100x thicker than Gear Oil, what would bearing grease be roughly equal too. I just grabbed my grease gun and pumped it full of bearing / ball joint grease on my last diff. Granted it only lasted 30mins in my Brushless E-Maxx as the diff came from a Brushed 3906 that used the weaker housings. I will have to hit up Hobby Town and see what they have.

Jimmy are you a general Mechanic, or Big 3 specific. (Ford, or Chevy or Dodge Man)

I am a Die Hard Pontiac Addict. Granted my Pontiac is Powered by Cadillac but that's a whole different story.

General mechanic... worked for myself for the past 5 years.

Yup... that stuff has more viscosity than gear oil or any grease I have ever worked with. The 500K I have can be left upside down for ages before it even starts to drip.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    General mechanic... worked for myself for the past 5 years.

Yup... that stuff has more viscosity than gear oil or any grease I have ever worked with. The 500K I have can be left upside down for ages before it even starts to drip.
    So its somewhere between Sticky Tar CV Grease and Vaseline. (Baby Butt Cream stuff) I had no idea that the diff could use something that sticky. Well that is pretty good to know. I'll probably pick up the thicker of the stuff then. If it can make it act sorta like an LSD I will be very happy. One of my pet peeves with the E-Maxx is climbing a loose soft dusty hill, and getting the right front and left rear or vice versa tire spinning, then basically digging myself a hole. I end up punching the throttle to spin the tires up so fast that the tires expand on the rims and it sometimes digs in hard enough to pull itself out. Which I know is probably what is killing my spiders running those type of rpms with one tire dead stop and the other WOT.

Thanks Again for the info.

Yup, you are killin the spyder gears & diff cup lettin it one wheel peel like that.

You can always put plumbers puddy in the diff cup, or diff lock lube, don't get much thicker then those two.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

I have heard of the "blu tack" stuff for hanging posters on the wall works too... never tried it myself though.

Heavy diff fluid is super thick and sticky... once you get some you will see what I am talking about.

RC Qualifier
    Blutack? Might as well put a spool in there :P Heavy automotive grease would be my pick.