Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    84

    Spur Gear question

    Just wondering... How exactly do you go about adjusting the spur gear? I've read 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn is best... But I Replaced my spur gear and tuned it to slightly over 1/4 turn and it is now hitting about 80mph. Something tells me that this is wrong. I have a bad feeling I'm going to strip the gears.

    There is no way it should be going this fast with no true hop ups. Now 1/4 turn... Were talking 1/4 of a full turn, correct?

    Thank you guys
    Jato 3.3 - Losi Micro-T - The Frog

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    559
    Just curious whats telling you that your hitting 80 mph?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato8283 View Post
    Just wondering... How exactly do you go about adjusting the spur gear? I've read 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn is best... But I Replaced my spur gear and tuned it to slightly over 1/4 turn and it is now hitting about 80mph. Something tells me that this is wrong. I have a bad feeling I'm going to strip the gears.

    There is no way it should be going this fast with no true hop ups. Now 1/4 turn... Were talking 1/4 of a full turn, correct?

    Thank you guys

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    84
    A hand held speed gun. My bosses son plays highschool baseball and he borrowed the pitch gun from the coach for me because I noticed a huge increase in the drive speed and I had to check it. I tested it about 6 times on cars passing by and used it on the car 6 times. I had said it hit about 80mph. It topped out at 78mph exactly
    Jato 3.3 - Losi Micro-T - The Frog

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    84
    Do you know anything about the spur gear adjusments? The car definitely sounds different as it flies by. It shifts into second and everything without trouble (though it shifts a lot sooner now) but its more high pitched than before I messed with the gear. Thank you for your help
    Jato 3.3 - Losi Micro-T - The Frog

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    559
    is this electric conversion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato8283 View Post
    A hand held speed gun. My bosses son plays highschool baseball and he borrowed the pitch gun from the coach for me because I noticed a huge increase in the drive speed and I had to check it. I tested it about 6 times on cars passing by and used it on the car 6 times. I had said it hit about 80mph. It topped out at 78mph exactly

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    84
    No it is not. I run 20%. I have about 4 1/2 or 5 gallons through it
    Jato 3.3 - Losi Micro-T - The Frog

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    84
    Well my suspicions were correct. Ive locked up the tires. They roll forward but not backwards. and the car will run but not move when i hit the throttle. It just revs. Sucks. Ill strip her tomorrow
    Jato 3.3 - Losi Micro-T - The Frog

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Desert JATO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,661
    if your jato still on the 3.3 and stock gearing i would say that the baseball gun measured the speed incorrectly.
    is it so ?

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    84
    Yes, all engine components are stock. It may have been wrong, but the wicked increase in speed was visible. Its not going too fast now haha. It doesnt go anywhere. I have to take it apart and see what I fried
    Jato 3.3 - Losi Micro-T - The Frog

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Desert JATO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,661
    the speed gun must be in stationary position to give an accurate reading. if it was handheld then moved fast by the arm trying to follow or to catch the truck this will give a false reading no question.
    hope that you'll fix your jato and get back to the fun soon

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato8283 View Post
    Yes, all engine components are stock. It may have been wrong, but the wicked increase in speed was visible. Its not going too fast now haha. It doesnt go anywhere. I have to take it apart and see what I fried
    Get a hardened steel set (do NOT get aluminium). You can run it with the slipper clutch tight .
    Last edited by Double G; 06-10-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: language

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    84
    Ill definitely look into that, since I obviously have no idea how to tune my spur haha. I still need to check my clutch as well. I have the new shoes and everything but I couldnt get the spur gear off. I loosen it all the way, but the nut will not come off.
    Jato 3.3 - Losi Micro-T - The Frog

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    25
    Hold the brake disc the nut will come off

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    84
    Thank you. Gonna go do it now
    Jato 3.3 - Losi Micro-T - The Frog

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    84
    Took spur gear off... Got the clutch out... And one of my bearings busted. Many tiny balls fell out and a bunch of shredded metal. Also some gear teeth were falling out of the tranny haha. So obviously the ballbearing breaking made things unaligned and gears got stripped. Good times repairing, Not sure what caused the bearing to bust, but Ill keep an eye on it in the future
    Jato 3.3 - Losi Micro-T - The Frog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •