Thread: Whats bent?

RC Competitor

Whats bent?

my front right tire seems to point slightly outward when the front left tire is straight. what is this?

RC Qualifier
    Do you need to adjust a steering link or camber link? Iwas having this problem recently on a p2de with protrac. One of my rod ends was about to break the links themselves were fine.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Competitor
    the wheel is like turning outward as if i were steering. i thought camber was the angle from top to bottom... does that make sense? lol

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like you have one wheel "toed" out. If you have adjustable linkages you should be able to correct it. If not then sounds like something is bent or broken. First thing I would do is pull the wheels off and give a really good visual inspection on both sides of the front steering components.

RC Competitor
    now a question for my back right wheel. i tighten it all the way and it has more play in it than the left side. it wobbles more when i wiggle it by hand but going down the road it doesnt wobble the car around or anything. just seems maybe something is worn but i cant visually see it

Check the bearings in the axle carrier. And check if the washer is still behind the pin where the hex is on.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Racer
    Check your wheel bearings inner and outer on the carrier. Also make sure your carrier pivot balls are not too slack.

RC Competitor
    the washer is still behind the pin. i didnt go any further, ill mess with it tomorrow. will the bearing be noticeably damaged? and the pivot ball thing seems to be fine. im new to this but it seemed fine to me for what thats worth. can the hex itself wear out and cause slack or will that just be a problem when driving

RC Champion
    +1 on all the above
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Racer
    Yes most of the time you will see that the bearings are visually coming apart and if the hex is worn it could cause some wobble also if your tires are not glued all around there could be dirt and gravel inside tire causing wobble. I had to cut one of my tires loose and clean sand out of it re-tape and glue it and fixed my horrible wobble from tire last week. There was a handful of sand in it!

RC Champion
    The 12mm hex can wear out. They do sell aluminum replacements. I've ruined one rear wheel due to the hex wearing out and spinning inside the wheel's hexagonal socket.

To keep using it I plan to take a plastic hex and gorilla glue or epoxy it into that well. Then I'll have to fit my whole wheel onto the axle pin, which won't be much fun.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Competitor
    off the original topic but will any pinion set screw fit in any pinion? i have 2 traxxas pinions that came with my rustler but had to buy a different brand pinion from my LHS cuz its all he had that day and the set screw doesnt get as tight as i would like before it starts stripping. i was wondering if it would even fit if i used a screw from the traxxas pinion. i would just try it myself but i left my pinions at a friends

RC Racer
    Should work fine.

RC Qualifier
    I have robinson racing, Traxxas, and losi pinions. The Robinsons are not the same thread I believe they are a coarser thread if memory serves me right.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol