I have a few Integy 1800 mAh 35C LiPos. They have an average of 10 - 15 runs each in a stock Merv. Every one of them has started to bulge. I use a Palm 992 to charge and I charge at 1C or less.
Does this mean it's time to get rid of them? These are the first LiPos I've used so I'm still a noob when it comes to telling what's ok to use and what should be canned.
I've recently bought some SPCs and none of them are bulging so I guess I'm worried about the Integys.
i would probably trash them ,definitely dont try to charge them inside!
cheap'os the Integy's i would never buy anything Integy as i've seen about 80% or more neg- about them on most if not all their stuff not only here but other sites too. traxxas and spc are good for the price and quality you get. i also say i would not use at all if they are puffing at all.
DEU 8:18 ESV
Aaaarrrggg! Thanks for the warnings guys, all of the puffed ones are going to go! I'll discharge them in one of my rat RCs to get them down to safe level then they're going in the trash, OUTSIDE!!!
good idea trash cans aren't made of steel anymore!
And the city owns our trash cans so a melted trash can ends up on next months bill!
call you local radio shack and see if they still take old lipo's. better say lithium ploymer as they wont know LIPO as a term maybe. or call your local E waste dump site.
DEU 8:18 ESV
Great idea, there is a Radio Shack right up the street!
** DISPOSAL OF LIPO BATTERIES **
Unlike NiCd batteries, lithium-polymer batteries are environmentally friendly.
For safety reasons, it’s best that LiPo cells be fully discharged before disposal (however,
if physically damaged it is NOT recommended to discharge LiPo cells before disposal -
see below for details). The batteries must also be cool before proceeding with disposal
instructions. To dispose of LiPo cells and packs:
1. If any LiPo cell in the pack has been physically damaged, resulting
in a swollen cell or a split or tear in a cell’s foil covering, do NOT discharge the battery.
Jump to step 5.
2. Place the LiPo battery in a fireproof container or bucket of sand.
3. Connect the battery to a LiPo discharger. Set the discharge cutoff
voltage to the
lowest possible value. Set the discharge current to a C/10 value, with “C” being the
capacity rating of the pack. For example, the “1C” rating for a 1200mAh battery is 1.2A,
and that battery’s C/10 current value is (1.2A / 10) can be used,
such as a power resistor or set of light bulbs as long as the discharge current doesn’t
exceed the C/10 value and cause an overheating condition.
For LiPo packs rated at 7.4V and 11.1V , connect a 150 ohm resistor with a power rating
of 2 watts (commonly found at Radio Shack)to the pack’s positive and negative terminals
to safely discharge connecting it to an ESC/ motor system and allowing the motor to run
indefinitely until no power remains to further cause the system to function.
4. Discharge the battery until its voltage reaches 1.0V per cell or
lower. For resistive load type discharges, discharge the battery for up to 24 hours.
5. Submerse the battery into bucket or tub of salt water. This container should have a lid,
but it should not need to be air-tight. Prepare a plastic container (do not use metal) of cold
water. And mix in 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Drop the battery into the salt water.
Allow the battery to remain in the tub of salt water for at least 2 weeks.
6. Remove the LiPo battery from the salt water, wrap it in newspaper or paper towels and
place it in the normal trash. They are landfill safe.
Sounds like Radio Shack is an easier alternative...
I would wear it down in the car and then toss it
Sounds like a plan 50
+1 50togo, I saw a charged, badly swollen lipo chucked in bucket of salt water, cold and cool stuff happenede -bubbles etc..
1/16 EREVO, 1/10 SUMMIT
Glad to help!
Integy is rubbish!
Sorry to hear that, though.
Active Duty Community Organizer, Philanthropist