RC poster

Striped screw on the pinion gear how do I get it out

I striped the screw on the pinion gear holding it to the motor. I was wondering if any one could help and if
    any of you have had this problem. Please help!

RC Qualifier
    I've had luck jamming a torx bit into the rounded out grub screw and breaking it free like that

sometimes you can manage to pry the pinion gear off the motor shaft without loosening the screw, but that all depends on just how tight it is, and once the gear slides off there no pressure holding the grub screw in place other than the holding force that the loctite may have on it

worse case scenario is you have to take a Dremel and a cut off wheel to it and slice a cut in it and break it loose with a small flat head screwdriver

whatever you do, DO NOT try to hold the motor with your hand under it while trying to jam anything into the rounded out screw. before you know it, the motor shaft will spin, the screw driver you're trying to jam into it will slip off, and it will go right into your hand... ask me how I know...
    fix, run, break, repeat

i highly recommend a pinion puller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINION-GEAR-...item2314b04a39

also, what you have is a pinion that has thread lock on it if that's the one you got when you bought it.. to inactivate the glue, you need to heat the shaft. you can use a hair dryer if it gets hot enough or a heat gun. then gently pry it off with a set of pliers on both sides to allow equal pressure or you can bend the shaft.
    "It's just RC, not rocket appliances"-Ricky

RC Champion
    You can use an easyout, attempt to drill it out, the torx bit method is what I have done. I do have a stripped grub screw on a pinion on my mamba I am going to have to drill out myself. I used wd 40 with the torx bit and it usually works...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Champion
    try some heat on screw before removing, even a lighter can work
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

Hey, I would just try using a bigger hex tool and try and see if that will help fix it/get the screw out! PS Welcome to the fourms!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 06-03-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeAtonXMaxx

RC poster
    How does that pinion gear remover work and does any one know if canyon hobbies or r/c planet.com have it for cheaper?

RC Enthusiast
    Torx bit should work like someone has mentioned as that is what I used.

I have always had the best luck with a sledge hammer and a large screwdriver. Just tap on it until it comes off. I have had success with pinions that i glued on. Just take your time and it should work fine. Good luck
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ddority View Post
    How does that pinion gear remover work and does any one know if canyon hobbies or r/c planet.com have it for cheaper?
    you slide the puller under the pinion and just twist the lever and it pulls the pinion off. it's one of my favorite tools. it requires almost no effort. i looked at rc planet and canyon and it doesn't look like they carry it. the puller i linked you to ebay is the one i use. it's great you also don't need to heat the shaft to inactivate the glue either. i use red loc-tite and i can pull any pinion off with that.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 06-04-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    "It's just RC, not rocket appliances"-Ricky

RC Qualifier
    i just used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to get a pinion off a buddys truck . just go slow dont cut down to the motor shaft.
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC poster
    Ha I got it off to day

RC Qualifier
    how did u do it
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC poster
    I spent about a half hour trying to get it off but finally got it off using some type of "wrench" my dad had I have no idea what it is but it worked that's good enough for me.

Nice to hear. This is usually caused by trying to remove the grub screw with a rounded out wrench. Buy a new set if that's the problem.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...