RC Competitor

Should I get one?

Have been wanting to buy on for a while and think i will now but cant decide to buy the new stock or buy a used one with many upgrades for the same price. Leaning towards the used upgraded one has anyone bought a used and a new one. And tell me which one that they liked better

RC Champion
    It really depends. I got mine used and it was a lemon. I replaced pretty much half or more of the truck.

Chassis, wheels, tires, drive shafts, motor mount, clutch, shocks rebuild...

RC Competitor
    Alright thanks

RC Racer
    I vote for used. The learning curve for this r/c is pretty steep (imo). It won't be so painful breaking and replacing parts on a truck that already had a few scratches on it.

I got mine clean and bone stock for $400 off Craigslist. It still had the stock gearing and the wheels had never even been removed. I've made some mistakes and done some mods and I'm only into it for not much more than a new one.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by wretep View Post
    I vote for used. The learning curve for this r/c is pretty steep (imo). It won't be so painful breaking and replacing parts on a truck that already had a few scratches on it.

I got mine clean and bone stock for $400 off Craigslist. It still had the stock gearing and the wheels had never even been removed. I've made some mistakes and done some mods and I'm only into it for not much more than a new one.
    Ill look on Craigslist and ebay i am very knowledgeable of it already. Would like one with a pair of lipos and rpm A- arms

RC Racer
    Mods means it's been taken apart and put back together at least once, probably been broken and possibly been abused. Try to find the newest most lightly used example for your money. The bearings and suspension will likely be in much better condition too.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by wretep View Post
    Mods means it's been taken apart and put back together at least once, probably been broken and possibly been abused. Try to find the newest most lightly used example for your money. The bearings and suspension will likely be in much better condition too.
    Alright will tale note of that

RC poster
    I would go with new. Reason number 1 is that at my local hobby shop to many stories of people having problems buying some one else problem. upgrades are only as good as the person installing them. 2 the cost of buying it new is up there but the Traxxas replacement parts are cheap it is the upgrades that drive the cost up.good luck with what ever choice you make.

RC Racer
    I found a cheaper roller (no electronics) that already had some upgrades (rpm arms, carriers). Came out cheaper than new even having to buy motor/esc, radio, servo, and wheels/tires plus I got to pick out what I wanted for each of those instead of just being stuck with what come on it from the factory.

RC Enthusiast
    I bought a used one. Motor and ESC smoked on the first run. It would have been cheaper to buy new.

RC Competitor
    I'll just give u my input that I wish someone gave me before I bought one, when u hook this e revo up to 6s power u will probably be blown away by the power it has, however if u plan on bashing it w that battery setup....... Forget about it!! I do not care what anyone says traxxas put this too powerful motor in a car that cannot handle it, and no I am not bashing on the traxxas company!! U have to remember most all parts on the e revo are from the gas powered revo and they did not upgrade anything when they threw in a mamba monster w 6s power, u will first snap axles one after anther and then when u upgrade to steel mip axles u will start to shred ur ring diff gear, I have just done the losi lst diff mod took it out for literally 5 minutes in the grass!!! and snapped both center stock driveshafts at the same time (currently wait for mip center steel driveshafts in the mail) other than that no major problems, the car is an absolute blast super fun to drive........ Just trying to help u out

RC Competitor
    The one i am looking at has has a robinson slipper unit (steel). Hot racing diff kit.Rpm all around new mmx system, aluminiun front skid plate. And 4 sets of tires. For 550 shipped do you guys think this is a good deal. How do i post pics have a galaxy s5

RC Competitor
    Sounds like a decent deal considering the price of those things however from what I hear and the research Iv done the hot racing diff kits don't help very much what a lot of people don't know is the stock ring gear in the e revo is soft, it's a soft kind of steel next time u strip a ring gear look very closely at it, it has a bronze like color to it which means something has been added to it to make it not as strong there's a reason why they do that. Once again only if u plan to bash with 6s will u have axle and diff problems

I have never purchased any of my trucks new except the stampede 2wd I got for my kids.

Built an FL 2w pede, a slash 4x4 from scratch 9parts here and there and hop ups I chose)

Got three erevo rollers, one I super hopped up to my ultimate basher (keeper), one roller and upgraded a few parts here and there and gave it away. the other is in a box at the moment.

Buying themm as a roller is super cheap and then you can spend the extra on upgrades and the way you want it, I have since MIP drive shafts, traxxas centre drive shaft, traxxas sway bars, rear brace, XL2 witth CC 2200, proline badlands on desperado wheels, ceramic nytride bearings on all wheels, traxxas aluminum pushrods and turn buckles.
    Got also three revo 3.3 from swapping between RC buffs etc and kept one as my nitro basher too and racer, the other two no idea yet
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by matt thurber View Post
    Sounds like a decent deal considering the price of those things however from what I hear and the research Iv done the hot racing diff kits don't help very much what a lot of people don't know is the stock ring gear in the e revo is soft, it's a soft kind of steel next time u strip a ring gear look very closely at it, it has a bronze like color to it which means something has been added to it to make it not as strong there's a reason why they do that. Once again only if u plan to bash with 6s will u have axle and diff problems
    Ehat sort of diff do you suggest i get that will hold up to 6s

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I have never purchased any of my trucks new except the stampede 2wd I got for my kids.

Built an FL 2w pede, a slash 4x4 from scratch 9parts here and there and hop ups I chose)

Got three erevo rollers, one I super hopped up to my ultimate basher (keeper), one roller and upgraded a few parts here and there and gave it away. the other is in a box at the moment.

Buying themm as a roller is super cheap and then you can spend the extra on upgrades and the way you want it, I have since MIP drive shafts, traxxas centre drive shaft, traxxas sway bars, rear brace, XL2 witth CC 2200, proline badlands on desperado wheels, ceramic nytride bearings on all wheels, traxxas aluminum pushrods and turn buckles.
    Got also three revo 3.3 from swapping between RC buffs etc and kept one as my nitro basher too and racer, the other two no idea yet
    I might buy a roller the only thing is the electronics are 200-300 dollars

RC Competitor
    Ya I was considering the roller to however after I did the math it's really going to be about the same price especially if u upgrade some parts that it doesn't come with. As for what diffs I recommend? All the research I've done has lead me to the losi lst diffs, I just put them in and ran it about 5 minutes and then broke both my center drive shafts, I can't really say how they perform cuz I haven't used them enough although all the people on this forum swear by them.

RC Competitor
    I guess now that I think about it I would definitely recommend a used one trust me it's a very high powered rc car u are going to be rebuilding it and changing stuff all the time

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by matt thurber View Post
    Ya I was considering the roller to however after I did the math it's really going to be about the same price especially if u upgrade some parts that it doesn't come with. As for what diffs I recommend? All the research I've done has lead me to the losi lst diffs, I just put them in and ran it about 5 minutes and then broke both my center drive shafts, I can't really say how they perform cuz I haven't used them enough although all the people on this forum swear by them.
    How much is a good roller and can you show me the parts that you did the math on just to see what you would upgrade.

RC Competitor
    Well all I did is found a roller on eBay then I priced out all the parts on traxxas that the roller did not come w and added it all up and I mean literally everything, even little screws and I think it was actually a little more than what they sell for brand new complete, and like I said if bashing w 6s is ur plan w that motor it comes w, then right off the bat get mip axles and losi diffs. However the more I think about it just stay away from the 6s power on this e revo and go w 4s u will have just as much fun, break less, and u do not even really need 6s power for bashing anyways, that power is really just for speed runs and I wish I new this before I would have just got 2 cell lipos

RC Competitor
    Think about all the electronics it does not come w, motor and esc $309.00, receiver $50.00, transmitter $100.00, 2 servos $80, battery's about $140.00 that's not including whhels and tires and body and other stuff it will add up fast, I would look for a used one on Craigslist and buy brand new 2 cell lipos

RC Competitor
    I was going to buy mip driveshafts.

Rpm all around

A shroud

Losi diffs

Shock covers looks

Integy battery cover

Sway bar

Wheelie bar with upgarded tires

Motor fan with a total of around 300$

Anything else i would and 2x2s lipos 5000mah flourens

RC poster
    Buy new unless u know someone personal or you will end up with someone junk or problem. Most of us that do this hobby keep the trucks until they are worn out or have problems that cant figure out or cost the price of a new one to fix.

RC Racer
    scrap the integy batt covers, waste of money! if your going to waste money on looks, than you shouldn't penny pinch buying used. how much are the covers? put that money towards the difference between new and used.