Drag It!

RC Champion
    Looks like you need some more power.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Looks like you need some more power.
    Lol good point.
    I don't see the point exactly in drag racing with a dodge Neon, but hey if it's what he's got and he has fun doing it, who cares.

yeah its all for fun. strip is nice, and local so it works out.

i plan on building a first gen neon with a 2.4 motor in it like these. so potentially this could be my car but even faster since the first gen's are lighter

there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I dont know if its possible but could you install a 2.0 Mitsubishi engine? It would cost more but would produce power easier than anything that ever came in a Neon. Especially at the 2.0 level. It may sound small but due to rally racing regulations 2.0's are some of the meanest engines out there.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    reaper is right my wrx 2.0 push's 360 @ only 18lb of boost. Illegal street racing is what give's tuner's a bad name. I hope he blow's his engine, all of them.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

I've always wanted a wrx

Sent from the cockpit of my Jeep Wrangler
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

The turbo srt-4 is not a 2.0 it is a 2.4L engine. This is what I'm going to swap in. It's also DOHC not single

The srt-4 neons make 230HP stock on about 8lb boost vs 150 2.0 DOHC non turbo. And you can build crazy power out of the 2.4 engines all day long. Plus there designed to run the higher rpm's as well do to the 2pc block instead of just main caps holding the crank in.
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 05-24-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I never said the neon motor was a 2.0L. I said you should throw the junk Chrysler motors away and install a Mitsubishi 2.0 if its possible. Just imagine you car with one of these.

Oderint Dum Metuant

went to go back to the track last night after work, waited for over 2 1/2 hours before they finally called it for rain. it was just off and on. and at times they would have track almost dry and it would just start raining again....... oh well thats part of life. i just took a bunch of stuff out of my car that wasnt needed after i got home, about to go junkyarding and get a few things. so hopefully ill be able to relocate my battery to my trunk today. and we shall see what other goodies i find lol
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    went to go back to the track last night after work, waited for over 2 1/2 hours before they finally called it for rain. it was just off and on. and at times they would have track almost dry and it would just start raining again....... oh well thats part of life. i just took a bunch of stuff out of my car that wasnt needed after i got home, about to go junkyarding and get a few things. so hopefully ill be able to relocate my battery to my trunk today. and we shall see what other goodies i find lol
    It a FWD car. Leave the battery in the front and put it over the left front tire if it's not there stock. There is not reason the relocate a battery in a FWD car. You'll also be adding the weight of the battery box and all the cable needed to run back to the starter.

If you want to make a little more power in the Neon you'll need to work on the basics. Make sure the CIA is actually pulling air from outside the engine compartment. The filter should physically be outside of the engine bay and sealed from the heat if possible. The tubing running to the TB should also be made of plastic if possible to avoid heat soak.

Next have the intake manifold cleaned up and port matched to the head. A basic clean up of the runner in the head is always a good thing as well. If the motor has any kind of miles on it odds are the valves are caked in sludge and can be cleaned while the head is off.

A header and free flowing (no huge fart pipe please) exhaust will also work in your favor but use a decent muffler. A nice 2in magnaflow will work great and not sound like a ricer.

The last thing is the most obvious and cheapest. Remove EVERYTHING you can from the car. Heavier is slower on a dragstrip.

If you're going to mess with motor swaps I would just buy something with a V8 or a turbo car to begin with. It's easier on your stress level and your wallet. Ask me how I know.

RC Competitor
    I agree with Basher 1, it's almost like you're trying to modify some wal mart rc car and putting tons of time into it. But i Guess if that's your style keep doing what you want as long as you're having fun.

RC Champion
    Its more fun to mess with something than to just buy something else. If I was going to start anywhere I would change the tires. You can have all the power in the world but if you cant put it down then its useless. And if you install a turbo you dont have to worry as much about the exhaust. You just need a decent header and have the exhaust exit out of the front fender.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

I will start off by saying the only reason I plan to relocate the battery is because its in the way where it is now. Not much other reason. And my battery tray which is broken holds up the fuse block. So that just dangpes right now which is not good.

The Cai does pull air from strait outside. It's a true food air not a hot air intake lol. There is a clear line of air from directly through the bumper into the filter and then into the engine. It's not plastic but nobody even makes a Cai for my car anymore. The only company that did burnt down. So mines is a combination of a stock rubber intake and 2 small pieces of exhaust tube. But like i said it pulls strait fresh air from the very front bottom corner of the car.

Just so u know I went to college for automotive and high performance so your not telling me anything new really lol. I plan on buying a 95 neon head for now because it has a more agressive cam, as well as matching the ports up cleaning up the runners and all that. Then a decent muffler and a long tube header which eliminates the catalytic converter as well.

As for weight I'm not gonna completely strip it just for the track but I did remove the taped on impact strips which was a few pounds as well as cleaned car out instead of having 500 things in it lol.

And I don't want to just get another car that's the whole point of doing everything to a first gen neon. The surprise factor. And i already had the motor out before. It's not that bad really. And a 2.4 drops in super easy. It's fun though and I can for the most part work on it slowly. Or build up an engine then drop it in.

On a side note I pulled out the stock intake box today and there's about a 1'x 1' x 2' long spot to put a turbo now
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    The only company that did burnt down.
    Things have a habit of catching fire around Mopar products. Such as the running boards on a Viper or the factory that was making 1/4 scale Viper V10's.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    If the Neon is anything like the Turbo K-Cars were, the battery would be best placed on the right front rather than the left. I've heard that even the N/A 2.4's were a pretty good upgrade for the first gen Neons, the extra displacement just makes the cars that much more driveable.....think they even get better mileage too since the 2.4 doesn't have to work as hard as it did in it's oem application or as hard as the 2.0 SOHC and DOHC engines do. One thing you may need to watch out for is oil filter clearance, IIRC, those hang a bit lower on the 2.4's vs the 2.0's. Beleive it or not, some people are even sticking the 3.3 and 3.8 minivan motors in these cars!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    I never said the neon motor was a 2.0L. I said you should throw the junk Chrysler motors away and install a Mitsubishi 2.0 if its possible. Just imagine you car with one of these.

I take it you didn't know that some of the more recent Chrysler, Mitsubish, and Hyundai 4 cylinders are all based off the same design?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...uring_Alliance
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_GEMA_engines
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Theta_engine

Something else too is that if he were to find a N/A second gen Eclipse, those also used the Chrysler 2.0l, 150hp, DOHC, I-4 as was optional in the Neons.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    DSM's are not the same as a Mitsubishi engine. Further more being based on the same basic design means nothing. The engine in the basic Lancer compared to what comes in the basic Evolution are completely different animals. One being a house cat and the other a wild tiger.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
    If the Neon is anything like the Turbo K-Cars were, the battery would be best placed on the right front rather than the left. I've heard that even the N/A 2.4's were a pretty good upgrade for the first gen Neons, the extra displacement just makes the cars that much more driveable.....think they even get better mileage too since the 2.4 doesn't have to work as hard as it did in it's oem application or as hard as the 2.0 SOHC and DOHC engines do. One thing you may need to watch out for is oil filter clearance, IIRC, those hang a bit lower on the 2.4's vs the 2.0's. Beleive it or not, some people are even sticking the 3.3 and 3.8 minivan motors in these cars!

your completely correct, the 2.4's n/a are a big upgrade for these cars. the motor itself is a touch taller but not by much. and the way you mount it in you have to cut the bracing on a sohc hood or get a dohc hood that has the hump in it. i already have the dohc hood that i got from my buddy when his blew up because he didnt realize the oil light being on was an issue...... (not a car guy at all lol) and another thing is that the oil filter mounts flush with the bottom of block and does not stick down past the pan either. and all roads around here are pretty smooth as well so im not to worried about that. here something intresting for you though a stock 2.4 dohc head is actually identical to the stock 2.0 dohc head. same everything. and you actually gain a little if you do a 2.4 swap then use the 2.0 exhaust cam i believe. its one or the other but the one you cant use i do know that. and a 2.0 dohc pcm will perfectly run a 2.4L engine.
    Drag It!