RC Competitor

Steering Servo Chatter & Sway Bar issues

I just replaced a steering servo with a Savox SW-0250 and it is working great other than there is quite a bit of chatter coming from the new servo. Did I install incorrectly? Just dropped it in the same hole as the traxxas servo and reversed the transmitter. Pretty easy and straightforward install. I did not use any of the pieces that came with the Savox, just dropped in and reused all of the traxxas parts.

Also, I am repeatedly flipping my MERV in corners on a carpet track, so I ordered sway bar kits for front and rear. No issues installing the front, but it looks impossible to install on the rear with the 550 motor. No clearance at all for the turnbuckle to fit under the motor. Am I missing something, or is in not possible to have a rear sway bar kit with a 550 motor?
    And rubbin son is racin'.

I don't own a SW-0259 myself, but the Savox servos which I have used were all pretty noisy. Using either Savox or Traxxas parts won't make a difference.

The 550 size motor might make it impossible to install the sway bar kit. You could use a larger pinion and spur to make the motor go upwards, but that would be weird because it makes the original problem that you try to fix only bigger.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reassurance on the servo chatter Petertje60, I'll stop worrying about it. I'm an over-thinker by nature.

I guess I need to address the traction roll a different way if the sway bar kit won't fit? Maybe adjusting the shocks (never tried this, or know how) or changing the springs? I have read some old posts about traction roll where dacaur had some really good points about lowering the weight of the MERV and learning to drive better. Not braking into corners and accelerating through them. This causes a great amount of understeer, and my mental instinct to constantly hammer the throttle causes me to crash into my basement wall. (again driver error)

I agree with dacaur's thoughts, but before I started tinkering with this traction roll issue, I was progressing towards running dual parallel batteries to increase run time, which is the opposite of reducing weight.

RC Competitor
    If the suspension is completely stock you should start there to reduce the body roll and improve the handling characteristics. Shock oil is cheap and springs aren't too much. Never tried running mine on a carpet track but it handles great. Have 60wt shock oil and the Summit blue springs in front and the Summit purple springs in the back. Not sure if that would be too stiff for carpet racing but I know it won't roll nearly as much as what the stock setup is doing.
    "Custom" isn't changing stock parts w/aftermarket.

RC Competitor
    Michigander, do you have a sway bar on the front of your MERV in addition to the oil and springs change?

RC Competitor
    Maybe I need to build some banked turns and then I won't have to worry about traction roll from driving too fast into a corner.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
    Michigander, do you have a sway bar on the front of your MERV in addition to the oil and springs change?
    No I don't. The way it handles now I don't even see a need to get those. Granted, I typically run mine on dirt but even on pavement it doesn't roll too much. Of course you can't turn the wheel too quick at higher speeds. You could even try something as simple as running a zip tie through your suspension rockers to lower it. Lower CG always helps. Kinda ghetto but it does work haha

RC Champion
    Lowering via a zip tie is a bad idea, as it pretty much eliminates down travel, which is needed for a smooth ride.

Even just the front sway bar should make a big difference. Springs will help too, going a bit harder in the rear will help with rolling. Purple rear and blue fronts. For oil, I would just go with something between 50 and 70wt.
    A second battery will likley not do too much bad toward handling, it will add weight yes, but you can't add weight any lower than that. I run a pair in parallel (2 cell) it's easier on the batteries, and gives a bit more power and speed than a single pack just due to the combined capacity, plus it's easier on the batteries and they run cooler.
    Dacaur

RC Competitor
    What are the part numbers of these purple and blue springs? I only see orange, green, tan, and black in the parts list PDF for the MERV.

RC Competitor
    The 1/16 Summit parts list has this table:
    7145 Spring, shock (GTR) (1.76 rate, orange) (1 pair)
    7146 Spring, shock (GTR) (1.92 rate, green) (1 pair)
    7147 Spring, shock (GTR) (2.06 rate, tan) (1 pair)
    7148 Spring, shock (GTR) (2.22 rate, black) (1 pair)
    7244 Spring, shock (GTR) (2.77 rate, pink) (1 pair)
    7245 Spring, shock (GTR) (2.925 rate, blue) (1 pair)
    7246 Spring, shock (GTR) (3.2 rate, purple) (1 pair)

The Table for the MERv is :

7145 Spring, shock (GTR) (1.76 rate, orange)
    7146 Spring, shock (GTR) (1.92 rate, green)
    7147 Spring, shock (GTR) (2.06 rate, tan)
    7148 Spring, shock (GTR) (2.22 rate, black)

Can I assume that the Summit springs are what you are referring to and will fit in the MERV without having to modify?

RC Competitor
    Yes the Summit springs will fit with no modifications. The shock bodies are all the same. Just different tension rates for different models.

I forgot to ask which 550 motor you are running. Is it a brushless one?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I forgot to ask which 550 motor you are running. Is it a brushless one?
    Stock Titan 12T brushed motor.

Stock Titan 12T brushed motor.
    In that case would upgrading to brushless help a lot. Of course that's a different budget.

RC Competitor
    In that case would upgrading to brushless help a lot. Of course that's a different budget.
    Help a lot with what problem? Please keep in mind I have 4 MERV's so whatever cost is multiplied by 4 if I want to keep them all the same, which I do so when my buddies come over we can race on an equal playing field.

Help a lot with what problem? Please keep in mind I have 4 MERV's so whatever cost is multiplied by 4 if I want to keep them all the same, which I do so when my buddies come over we can race on an equal playing field.
    Using the smaller brushless 380 motor would lower the center of gravity significantly. And improve cornering capabilities that way.

RC Competitor
    Using the smaller brushless 380 motor would lower the center of gravity significantly. And improve cornering capabilities that way.
    If I upgraded to Brushless, would I have to replace the ESC as well?

Also would a rear sway bar fit if I upgraded?

If I upgraded to Brushless, would I have to replace the ESC as well?

Also would a rear sway bar fit if I upgraded?
    Yep. Brushless needs a brushless able ESC. Sway bars will probably fit. Not 100% sure about that.