RC Qualifier

USPS won't ship Lithium batteries internationally

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...rtphones-more/

My dad saw this and sent it to me... good thing a certain store(I can't say which one because of the filter) just opened a U.S. warehouse!

RC Qualifier
    Doesn't say anything about lithium polymer.

RC Qualifier
    Lithium batteries includes LiPo, LiFe, LiIon, LiFePo, and any other combination of chemicals that includes lithium. For example, all Dell products use LiIon batteries. No more sending computers(most), iPads, iPods, etc.

It's weird how it is limited to only in the country. Isn't it just as dangerous to ship in the country? Either way, for a bit more $$, we will always have UPS, Fedex, and DHL.

RC Racer
    thay wont send any thing with any kind of cemical

RC Champion
    I had that problem when shipping an iPhone. The lady at the post office asked what it was, and I told her a cell phone. She asked if the battery was still hooked up because they can't ship anything with batteries hooked up. I explained to her that it was an iPhone and you can't just take the battery out. She got all mad and whipped out her rule book, read the part that said "no lipo batteries" and told me to send it UPS. I told her it was a lithium ion battery, not a lipo... but she wasn't hearing it. I left, came back after they closed (building is open 24-7 so you can get to your PO box), used the APC (automated postage center... and it didn't mention anything about any batteries), and it went through the mail without any problems.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    I had that problem when shipping an iPhone. The lady at the post office asked what it was, and I told her a cell phone. She asked if the battery was still hooked up because they can't ship anything with batteries hooked up. I explained to her that it was an iPhone and you can't just take the battery out. She got all mad and whipped out her rule book, read the part that said "no lipo batteries" and told me to send it UPS. I told her it was a lithium ion battery, not a lipo... but she wasn't hearing it. I left, came back after they closed (building is open 24-7 so you can get to your PO box), used the APC (automated postage center... and it didn't mention anything about any batteries), and it went through the mail without any problems.
    Nice. So the rules don't even work.

RC Qualifier
    I haven't seen any announcements from the international sellers mentioning their inability to ship to the USA so we will see how this changes things. If I was shipping an iPhone I would not mention what it is because laptops and cell phones have virtually no history of catching fire when the power is turned off, just keep it packed safely.
    I like turtles.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I highly doubt a cell phone caused a cargo plane to crash... those stories are almost always exaggerated rumours. But, the postal system is so out of control these days the rules just don't make any sense at all. What a stupid way for a public owned company to severely damage its ability to do business with the general public and therefor make any money.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I highly doubt a cell phone caused a cargo plane to crash... those stories are almost always exaggerated rumours. But, the postal system is so out of control these days the rules just don't make any sense at all. What a stupid way for a public owned company to severely damage its ability to do business with the general public and therefor make any money.
    x2 very poor decision.

RC Champion
    This piece of legislation is just stupid. Lipos do not vent by themselves! The things are definitely not any more dangerous than the thousands of litres of kerosene in the fuel tank of the plane and yet planes are still allowed to fly.

I'm pretty sure this thing will be temporary because without people sending 1:1 car lithium ion packs, tablets, laptops, phones, all rc packs and even toys a huge loss is going to be made. They'll just "un-ban" it very discretely. Either that or they ban the use of planes for shipping.
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    They could also simply make a rule that you must ship these "battery powered items" in specific packaging. Like a lipo safe bag or something similar. Which, would increase the cost of the item but still, simply outlawing the shipping of any electronic item with a battery installed (which is most these days) is crazy.

Interestingly enough, I did some research (and posted it here) about traveling with lipo batteries and found out that you can travel with as many lipo packs as you want IN your carry on... as long as they are not over 100watt hours... and non of the packs we use are over 100 watt hours. So, apparently you can bring these batteries with you ON the plane, but not ship them IN the plane.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i see it these way, if your that innocent individual (think about the little ones) in the plane not knowing it has a lipo batteries onboard at the cargo area about to explode, would you risk mailing something like this and to see someone in that plane die?
    I understand that USPS are struggling with there finances and make this kind of dessicion but you got to understand they've been here longer than UPS, FedEx, DHL and knows how to run mail. they just need to straightening things up. they losing all that money because when they promote someone they dont get rid of someone up above, go figure.
    humay has left the building, peace.

I hate it! I hate it! I hate it! I refuse to pay UPS or Fedex for international shipping...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    They could also simply make a rule that you must ship these "battery powered items" in specific packaging. Like a lipo safe bag or something similar. Which, would increase the cost of the item but still, simply outlawing the shipping of any electronic item with a battery installed (which is most these days) is crazy.

If they must label lithium, I agree with this idea. What baffles me is the USPS is in a huge financial crisis. Simply put, they make no money and actually cost the country money every year.

Why would they needlessly turn a HUGE avenue of business away?
    BL E-Revo-After 14months, its done!*
    (yeah right)

If this is the case, Fedex, UPS, DHL and freight forwarders are going to make a killing.....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kwe View Post
    Lithium batteries includes LiPo, LiFe, LiIon, LiFePo, and any other combination of chemicals that includes lithium. For example, all Dell products use LiIon batteries. No more sending computers(most), iPads, iPods, etc.

It's weird how it is limited to only in the country. Isn't it just as dangerous to ship in the country? Either way, for a bit more $$, we will always have UPS, Fedex, and DHL.

The article specifically said LiIon, not anything else. Just quoting what I read.

Almost amazing how many people didn't read the article.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipher_Jones View Post
    The article specifically said LiIon, not anything else. Just quoting what I read.

But nearly all laptops, and other electronics use LiIon.........
    BL E-Revo-After 14months, its done!*
    (yeah right)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mamba max1 View Post
    If they must label lithium, I agree with this idea. What baffles me is the USPS is in a huge financial crisis. Simply put, they make no money and actually cost the country money every year.

Why would they needlessly turn a HUGE avenue of business away?
    Because 1 airplane costs more money than they will ever make off shipping batteries. Let alone the cargo in it or the damage it causes when it crashes.

And you cant put a price on human life.

But nearly all laptops, and other electronics use LiIon.........
    Yep.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipher_Jones View Post

True. But I think they only mentioned Li-Ion by name because that is the most common battery in computers, tablets, MP3 Players, etc. There ARE computers on the market today that have LiPo batteries. My sister in law has one. I think they mean any lithium battery. That's just me, though...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kwe View Post
    True. But I think they only mentioned Li-Ion by name because that is the most common battery in computers, tablets, MP3 Players, etc. There ARE computers on the market today that have LiPo batteries. My sister in law has one. I think they mean any lithium battery. That's just me, though...
    Just read the actual rules... WOW...

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulleti...l/updt_004.htm

RC Qualifier
    Just ordered LiPos from a USA warehouse and they were shipped using USPS, no problem.

RC poster
    hey you know in the base of a plane there is no oxygen there for there is no possible way of it catching fire or exploding its actually more risky to have it on carry on luggage where it is exposed to oxygen and could catch fire so i say let there be international shipping on lipo's.

RC Champion
    The bottom of plane's are not vaccum's, so there is air. They require them to be in the cabin so that if they do catch fire they can be dealt with. there is no way to fight a fire in the belly of a plane when it is at 30,000 feet.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Champion
    If you live in the USA you can have them shipped to you by flight, but most are ground transported due to lower cost's. Ordering from oversea's to the USA will not happen, yet. They are fighting with the international carrier's on safety guideline's. When they are sufficent you will be able to order them from over sea's.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    The bottom of plane's are not vaccum's, so there is air. They require them to be in the cabin so that if they do catch fire they can be dealt with. there is no way to fight a fire in the belly of a plane when it is at 30,000 feet.
    the thing is that most cargo planes don't have a lower cargo area. It's setup for cargo so they want the most space possible so it's just one big space! They use Boeing 767,777,787 usually. In the cargo version.

Quote Originally Posted by kylehasarustler View Post
    hey you know in the base of a plane there is no oxygen there for there is no possible way of it catching fire or exploding its actually more risky to have it on carry on luggage where it is exposed to oxygen and could catch fire so i say let there be international shipping on lipo's.
    Not correct at all... There's oxygen, they put pets down there for travel... Also USPS uses cargo planes like Fedex and UPS does, they don't ship items via passenger planes usually.
    Cargo planes,,,, the have oxygen...

Funny thing is, a new Boeing 787 was grounded the other day for having a lithium battery fire onboard.... The new planes are using them....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC poster
    This was lifted back in mid Nov, they are shipping them again.

I am afraid not... not internationally as this thread is about:

622.5 Lithium and Lithium-ion Cells and Batteries — General

Primary lithium metal or lithium alloy (nonrechargeable) cells and batteries, or lithium-ion cells and batteries (rechargeable), regardless of quantity, size, watt hours, and regardless of whether the cells or batteries are packed in the equipment they are intended to operate, with the equipment they are intended to operate, or without equipment (individual batteries) are prohibited when mailed internationally or to and from an APO, FPO, or DPO location regardless of mail class.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c6_003.htm#ep260739
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    This was lifted back in mid Nov, they are shipping them again.
    Not individual RC LiPo packs.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Not correct at all... There's oxygen, they put pets down there for travel... Also USPS uses cargo planes like Fedex and UPS does, they don't ship items via passenger planes usually.
    Cargo planes,,,, the have oxygen...

Funny thing is, a new Boeing 787 was grounded the other day for having a lithium battery fire onboard.... The new planes are using them....
    Wonder if they were max amps... JK!
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Your right, their first paragraph mislead me. They are shipping them to APO, FPO, and DPO addresses again.

According to USPS site, they are not.
    See post 28.

RC poster

And it states it has to be IN the device.
    No loose batteries.

RC Champion
    I know oversea's military base's still do not ship or receive lithium battery's of any sort. Not even installed.

RC poster
    APO will not let them out, but we can receive them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Lithium batteries must be in a device for the USPS to ship them internationally and sadly this includes APO addresses.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Wonder if they were max amps... JK!
    No the plane uses lipo battery's to start and run the engines and electronics and are charged by an APU, obviously they didn't have there lipo cutoff turned on hahaha. Also all the Boeing 787s have been grounded by the FSA or whatever that's called, for having the lipo fire, now all the 787s have to be inspected and have the changes made that are needed.

Sent from my super super fast iPhone 4S in white!
    Last edited by Iceroad2; 01-17-2013 at 09:21 AM.