Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada

This may come as a >>SHOCK<< to some of you!

I see a lot of inquiries regarding spring fitment and parts interchangeability between Traxxas shocks, as well as shock upgrade questions, so here's some info that you may find helpful when looking to better your shock setup. When someone is considering buying Big Bores, but already have the stock ultras, they are more likely to just need need new springs and/or oil in their ultra shocks, or maybe a rebuild kit, and here's why:

A common misconception is that Trx big bores are an upgrade to the Trx ultras. The fact is that the ultras can be upgraded to be superior to the big bores, with the exception of the aluminum shock body. This is because...

TRAXXAS BIG BORE SHOCK BODIES ARE SMALLER IN DIAMETER (OUTER AND INNER) THAN ULTRA SHOCKS, AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN.

Big Bores got their name before Ultra Shocks were even created, and back then the normal Traxxas aluminum shocks were smaller in diameter than big bores, therefore the big bores were an upgrade. But for anyone who already has ultras and is looking for something to absorb landings better, you'd be better off getting aluminum caps, better springs, new oil and TiN shafts for the ultras.

Some specs:

Ultra shock (body only)

Length: 1.777" (45.1mm)
    Outer Diameter: 0.521" (13.2mm)

Big bore (body only)

Length: 1.78" (45.2mm)
    Outer diameter: 0.49" (12.4mm)
    Inner diameter: 0.40" t10.2mm)

The "Big Bore" shocks actually have smaller pistons too. RPM's instructions for their two-stage pistons for ultra shocks, say they will fit Big Bore shocks if they're sanded down. < Yeah, cuz that'll be an accurate fit, right?

If you are into the really big launches, and are tired of hearing the chassis slap the ground on every landing, then youll probably want to look into stepping up to 8th scale buggy shocks. I think the guys are calling it the Losi treatment. Lol. I'll let these other members add their info and experience with the Losi buggy shocks, as I have no experience with them...yet.

Oh, and sorry for bumming out the BB guys who had though they were upgrading when they replaced the ultras. No harm intended.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    just. ordered. BB's on. sale. crap. Is all hope lost?
    Jesus, Lights, RC, Minecraft, LoL

RC Qualifier
    This is news to anyone? The name comes from a time when 1/10th shocks had teensy pistons in them, like 9mm and smaller. Traxxas put out the "Big Bores," which were big... at the time. Truth be told, you can tune any shock to perform adequately off-road. I've had very good fortune with Big Bores, which I genuinely believe to be the best shock at the pricepoint (terrible progressive springs notwithstanding.) They'll fit Associated, Losi, or Traxxas springs, the hard anno is very good, they have hardened TiNi shafts and fine-thread aluminum caps, and can be had for around $45 a set. Oh, and there's no bottom cap to un-thread, so the shock guts will never fall out when you're driving. If someone made shafts that retain the piston with a nut, the BBs would be simply perfect.

Further truths, most people don't know ANYTHING about suspension tuning, and just change parts because they're pretty, or shiny, or shiny and pretty, or they heard one time from a guy that said part "was totally the best." I have 8ight shocks on my big truck, and you know what they're good for? Lazy people. They go months between rebuilds. The internal volume is immense-- it takes almost a full bottle of oil to fill all four. But are they necessary? Well, if your truck weighs 9lbs, sure. But for most people driving Traxxas vehicles, absolutely not. If you can't tune an Ultra to perform well, you'll have no chance with the 8ights.

It's all yelling into the wind anyway. Every time I see a truck with Powerstrokes on it, I just shrug. No point in fighting it.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieToTraxxas View Post
    just. ordered. BB's on. sale. crap. Is all hope lost?
    The BB's are a great shock. Like Dr said any shock can be tuned to work for your setup. I run 8 of these on my heavy weight EMBE. If they can hold it up and withstand huge jumps they are a great setup for sure.

Traxxas BB's

Traxxas Ultra's

Losi Ten T

Integy Piggybacks ( If they could only be made bulletproof )

Proline Powerstrokes

I don't want to be in the middle of an arguement here, so i'm not going to argue with anyone. I really think whatever you like run them. I have run quite a few different shocks, ehhh maybe not as many as Dr. Isotope. But i have run a few. Traxxas Ultras, Traxxas BB's, Proline Powerstrokes, Integy Piggybacks ( YUCK ), & Losi Ten Ts. Each are good in their own way. Once you get any shock tuned to your liking and nearly bulletproof stick with that setup. I like trying new stuff so that's how its going to be. Out of all the shocks i have run i like the Ten T's and Powerstrokes, mainly because they have threaded bodies. I prefer that over the chocks. Then again thats me. Don't hate!!!! Yet still in that same mix I still like the BBs. I have never had one leak yet. Does that make sense? haha
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The info here is all accurate. It was a revaluation I had a few years ago and posted a thread about it then... but heres the rub. The Big Bores ARE an upgrade to ultras. While the ultra shocks hold a minute amount more oil they have plastic bodies (as you pointed out). The plastic body is, IMO, a large contributor to bent shock shafts. It is my belief that the reason shock shafts bend on ultras is because under extremely hard, akward landings the piston binds on the side of the shock body (inside) and that momentary sticking locks the suspension movement and the energy has to go somewhere, so it goes into the shock shaft.

The big bores don't do this because the aluminum body isnt sticky inside the shock body. The TiNi shafts IMO aren't nearly as much of an upgrade as the aluminum body. The only place the shaft touches ANYTHIGN is the 2 small shock seals at the bottom of the shock body. They do make a difference but simply upgrading to TiNi shafts seems less important than the aluminum bodies.

The caps are also a HUGE upgrade VS ultras... now, lets say you wanted to go out and buy TiNi shafts and aluminum caps for your stock ultra shocks. You'd be into about $25-30 or so. But you'd still have plastic bodies. For an extra $10-$15 you'd get al this stuff, assembled AND with aluminum bodies. After running my pede HARD and trying other larger shocks (like losi shocks) I went back to big bores...

RC Qualifier
    ok guys question? My pede is geatting pretty heavy with the alum extended chassis and the alum tranny i just got. The rear of the truck is sagging now due to the weight. I have stiff springs in the rear but ikm running 35 weight oil. If i go to say like 60 weight is this going to help me im just running ultras right now with integy springs and alum caps
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

RC Qualifier
    Oil weight won't change ride height. If the rear end is sagging at rest, and it's bottoming out after jumps, you need stiffer springs. If the rear end is bouncing up after jumps, you need thicker oil. You can't change springs/pistons without changing oil to compensate, and vice versa.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I just found my 1 front big bore was empty on my oval racer. No oil under the truck, or on the suspension arm???? Weird. It has been sitting for a couple weeks on its perch. Do not know what happened there...
    I have had these for 2 years and the other 3 are super smooth still after being on 3 different trucks and beat on liberally. This will be my first rebuild of this set. The bbs bodies last longer, and require less rebuilds. My oil stays clear in the bbs, while the ultras oil discolors quickly, I assume, because of the piston scraping the plastic bodies. The ultras can be made to perform very very well though. I do not see much improvement in performance, as long as the ultra shocks are rebuilt(including bodies) often enough. The bbs are a great value in my eyes...

1/8 shocks, have thicker shafts in the shocks. These are harder to bend. If you are jumping big, these will def not bend as easy as a bb or ultra. I have a couple diff sets of 1/8 ft buggy shocks, and they are very heavy duty.
    Last edited by rag6; 05-11-2012 at 01:13 PM.

RC Champion
    Traxxas big bore shocks are a great addition to the TRAXXAS stampede in my opinion. I ran these shock for a long time and never really had any issues with them at all. If your big bore shocks are sagging really low in the back, I highly recommend using the outermost lower mounting point, and if you are using a protrac shocktowers, go wide up top also. This simple mod drastically reduced the amount of rear sag that i was experiencing with the big bores. I figured this out days ago and it's a shame. If it wasn't for a lack of spring selection, I would probably still continue using them just on the shock mounting discovery alone. I was never much on running more than a full spacer on the rear shocks anyways.

I was going to sell my big bores in the MP, but I've since changed my mind about that because they reallyhave proved to be one incredibly durable shock. The TRX big bores are a great upgrade over the ultras and are a good way to stir interest in shock tuning, once you're ready to start learning. In the meantime, they are a good all around shock that can help the stability of any stampede. I highly recommend everybody own a set of these at some point. For the price, they are hard to beat. For the guy not looking to go thru the rounds involved in buying a protrac kit and a couple extra front wheels, and who maybe wants to keep the pede within stock dimensions for a while longer, big bores are a great way to help keep these trucks from rolling over, also.

Hehe.. love the pun of the title, I guess I was "shocked" to hear that they are smaller!?!?!!! lol.... But ya, No doubt. everything about em is, Not much... But totally is... Glad the caps fit in both places though..

Here are some better than big bores, ultras..

RPM Dual stage shock pistons... Which btw folks, U have to grind on the sides to fit "big(smaller) bores STRC shock caps, "beefier" Alum shock bodies - eliminates their only weakness.. And of course, TiN Shafts.... Price to build something like this, is just above the price of big bores.. They look great too.

Just so there is no confusion folks, These are lowered. So someone doesnt think that Big bores are taller. And beefier STRC shock caps, I prefer ten fold to Traxxas Shock caps.

RPM dual stage picstons (awesome) On what I used to lower em, on TiN shafts.

Another nice thing, STRC now sells threaded bodies. Which came out like a week after I purchased these! lol eerrr... haha.

And anouther way to upgrade your Big Bores, Or Ultras... This guys whom ya'll dont know, Baldys Dual Rate shock Pistons... And I love the RPM shock guards as well. Which of course works great on either shock.

Great post baldy, Truely SHOCKING! lol... Okay im done
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 05-11-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    ZZZZZZZZZZRRRRTTT!

I was shocked.

Nice on the strc threaded bodies. I may have to pick up a set of those. I bought strc red alum bodies a long time ago for my bandit:

I had leaking issues out of the bottom seal, and shock cap. I put a set of HR caps on, and they did not leak, but never could get the bottoms to stop leaking. The shocks were built from all new parts, so they should not have leaked. I had been staying away from them, but it has been 4 years since I bought them. I may have to try a set of the strc threaded bodies on the next truck I buy. Loot, what colors are avail?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Loot, those red threaded bodies are losi ten upgrades. Darn hood one too!
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    ZZZZZZZZZZRRRRTTT!

I was shocked.

Nice on the strc threaded bodies. I may have to pick up a set of those. I bought strc red alum bodies a long time ago for my bandit:

I had leaking issues out of the bottom seal, and shock cap. I put a set of HR caps on, and they did not leak, but never could get the bottoms to stop leaking. The shocks were built from all new parts, so they should not have leaked. I had been staying away from them, but it has been 4 years since I bought them. I may have to try a set of the strc threaded bodies on the next truck I buy. Loot, what colors are avail?

All the regular shock colors, SIlver, REd, Blue, and gun metal. The standard STRC colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Loot, those red threaded bodies are losi ten upgrades. Darn hood one too!
    I may have posted the wrong pic, cuz I posted it from google images, But they are for Stampede/slash/Rustler Section Amigo

See...

STRC CNC Machined Threaded Aluminum Front Shock Body Set 1 pair Slash 4x4 & Slash 2WD (Red)

http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...product_id=598

Crummy part is these came out the week after I had purchased mine for my Rusty, which would have been awesome. but its all good.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..