Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

traxxas stampede extended chassis

so i want an extended chassis for my stampede because im gonna put a mamba in it so it will be more controllable right? so i think i will extend a plastic one because i don't like how the all aluminum ones are, anybody got any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    ^^^ That's a great cheap extension. A few guys have made aluminum plates instead of the plastic.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    what about cutting the chassis in half and then using a peice of sheet metall bent at 90 degries and bout to on the inside and 2 on the outside then reinforcing a little?

RC Qualifier
    That's how I did mine over a year ago and it is still holding up strong.

[IMG][/IMG]

You could do that to. The options are out there. Post the results if you try something. ;-)
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by lotus2200 View Post
    what about cutting the chassis in half and then using a peice of sheet metall bent at 90 degries and bout to on the inside and 2 on the outside then reinforcing a little?
    Ive seen that done. Personally I am not a fan, but then again im really picky... well more like the 4 letter word that starts with an A to how things look. lol. Thing that is good about the rag extension, is it reinforces that back part that is only held on by those two screws into the chassis. That part is nice.

But definatly try stuff out, thats how the idea come out and get shared because one person trys first. Than it turns out to be a great idea. So give it a shot. One thing I really like about the idea of using an extended chassis, is being able to use the Proline Top Kick body. I am a big Ironhide fan. So id love to do one.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    Hey everybody not trying to jack this thread; might be relevant for the OP.

Extending the chassis to my understanding might cut down your turning radius a bit right?
    And is the stock servo stressed by it at all? Just wondered because I'm thinking of this too. Wanting to be able to run some maxx bodies.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Racer
    i think it does cut down the steering radius but im doin this to have better handling with a mamba so it will somewhat stay on the ground

RC Qualifier
    AbSoLooT brings up a good point about the 2 screws that hold the back end together. Before I installed the RPM skids, those 2 screws pulled out of the chassis when the stock skids got caught on a piece of pavement... after adding the RPM skids Ive' had no issues with the extended chassis. But this may not be the best for everyone, you"ll have to see what works best for you. Two more things about the mod I have done, more room for my 3s 5300mah 65c lipos and body selection Keep us posted. Even with the extra 2inches, it still loves to wheelie
    Last edited by PEDE-OFF; 05-11-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark c View Post
    Hey everybody not trying to jack this thread; might be relevant for the OP.

Extending the chassis to my understanding might cut down your turning radius a bit right?
    And is the stock servo stressed by it at all? Just wondered because I'm thinking of this too. Wanting to be able to run some maxx bodies.
    Anytime you make something as long as a school bus you are going to lose turning radius. The stock 2075 Servo is a decent one ( 125oz ). If anyone is looking to upgrade cheaply, ebay has a couple of them in the $30 range ( 208 & 244oz ) that are all metal gears and a great upgrade. Baldy and I have been running one for a while now. It's doing a fantastic job.

OP if you are running the XL5 stock 2055 Servo you might want to upgrade. It has a measly 80oz of torque.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    im running an alum chassis with a 1 7/8" extension and the 2075 servo is holding up great yes the turning radius is cut down but with the protrac kit on mine and the longer base this thing doesnt ever roll
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The turning radius at 1 mile an hour increases. Turning radius at speed decreases. The short wheelbase and light front of the pede make it push under power. Extending it moves the center of gravity forward, loading the ft wheels a little more, and in turn increases on power steering.

RC Champion
    If the vehicle is over powered or the suspension is not set up properly then a short wheelbase pede will under steer a lot more than a lengthened pede. If everything is set correctly and the power is under control than the short wheelbase will turn much sharper. If both lengths are set up correctly then the short one will tend to be more aggressive and less stable at high speeds. The long one will tend to be less aggressive but more stable at high speeds and over rough terrain such as washboards. Both have their pro's and con's. Saying one is better than the other just is not true.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Another member had a pretty slick way of extending the chassis by adding a 2nd rear section where the esc tray mounts. I believe it was d_gillespie, maybe?

One other thing...what is it about the aluminum chassis that you don't like....you weren't very clear on your reason. Also, with your Castle combo, will you be running 3S or 2S lipo?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    What I stated was absolutely true. An extended stampede compared to stock, with all things being equal, will have less push under power. Period. If you want an argument, go talk to a mirror. I am not interested today.

RC Racer
    do i have to run a lipo with a mamba? i may eventually bot not emediatly

RC Champion
    Lotus, get the Mamba, but don't install it until you get a lipo + charger. sorry dude. Cheaper lipos shouldn't even be used. How about my chassis comment a couple posts up....any word?

RC Racer
    idk i just dont like how the whole battery nount works with the aluminum chassis its just how everything mounts onto the aluminum chassis

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    If the vehicle is over powered or the suspension is not set up properly then a short wheelbase pede will under steer a lot more than a lengthened pede. If everything is set correctly and the power is under control than the short wheelbase will turn much sharper. If both lengths are set up correctly then the short one will tend to be more aggressive and less stable at high speeds. The long one will tend to be less aggressive but more stable at high speeds and over rough terrain such as washboards. Both have their pro's and con's. Saying one is better than the other just is not true.
    True story
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Champion
    If you go with an flm, I can help you. I used the 1 inch extended chassis.

RC Racer
    the whole thing is sick but i would definitely want the receiver box over the receiver

RC Qualifier
    Nice ride dude!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    If you go with an flm, I can help you. I used the 1 inch extended chassis.
    Well I was just eat'n sum pede and drink-n a slash

RC Qualifier
    Well, once you go extended & Protrac you will never go back!!!! I also have a stock length Pede and it just sits on the shelf.

A cheap way to extend your chassis:----->"Slash Chassis" I did it on my sons pede cost me $13 and thats including the the bell crank and front skid plate.
    Well I was just eat'n sum pede and drink-n a slash

RC Racer
    a slash chassis makes it a raised up slash did you cut the sides off?

RC Champion
    I have a REM 1/8 scale aluminum chassis on my street pede and love it. It opens up so many more options for body's and it handles great on the black top.

RC Racer
    the digger is extended posting pics in a few

RC Racer
    here it is just finished gonna make a steel plate or somthin insted of tht suspension

RC Racer

RC Racer

RC Racer

[IMG] http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...92475357_n.jpg [/IMG]

and there it is el exstension

RC Racer
    o need to get a different body though, any ideas

RC Racer
    that extendid it by 2 inches

RC Qualifier
    If it extends it 2 inches then that put the wheelbase at the same as with a slash chassis so the Pro-Line Silverado body ( one for mgt ) should work and you don't have wing to deal with so it should fit nicely just check to see if you width is fine.

RC Racer
    what about an el camino body?
    i dont want it to be much wider than stock body

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lotus2200 View Post
    a slash chassis makes it a raised up slash did you cut the sides off?
    Well I think it depends if you throw on a Pro-Track ( widen past monster slashes ) it still can be somewhat of a Stampede ( sits high also as it's then a monster ). Also the Slash like the rustler and Bandit uses a Bell Crank so it improves the steering and it seems to have removed most of those funny suspension angles Stampedes get. I did it a few days ago and I'm loving the improvement as it also is easier to drive with all the power I'm running, the only thing is I have lost some turning radius but the can be fixed with a healthy amount of gas. I am keeping my Stampede Chassis if I want more wheelies.

RC Qualifier
    Just check to see if the wheelbase matches good as the width I'm not sure I believe Badly ran one so he be able to help.

RC Racer
    what do you think about the extension? good?

Bash it and let us know how it holds up.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore