Just got a shipment in the mail today. Geode rims and dirt hawg tires. Unfortunately they forgot to pack the glue.....
I am getting ready to glue up my first set of tires. The plan is to clean the rims and tires with degreaser then alcohol. Mount the tires on the rims and glue as per many posts on this and other forums.
Foams are trimmed already and everything dry fits well. There is a nib left over from the moulding process that I have to cut off.
For tires this small do I really need to belt the inside of the tire? Any other prep on them other than to make sure to glue a left and right side?
I plan on putting the optional pinion in that came with the merv which is lower than the stock installed. That should get me pretty close to the original gearing.
Summit body and posts are on their way. Now I will have a multi merv/sum.
I would tape the tires.
Hmmm better get some monkey tape then.... Just one strip should do?
Can these wheels be balanced? I have a dynamite balancer but it does not appear these will fit.
I had to hand hold it when balancing the big joes on my full size revo.
I have one 1" gorilla tape strip running inside of my tires... no overlap, but they do touch.
Make sure to remove any chrome that is in the glue area.
You can balance any tire using your RC...
Just remove everything but the stub axle, bolt it on and spin.
The heavy side will settle in the down position.
Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.
You'll need the 1/10 touring car adapter for your Dynamite balancer. It's what I use and love it... balanced wheels are great. I also use the 1" Gorilla tape, but with 1" of overlap. Also, I found that I like the generic super glue from home depot more than actual "rc car designated" cyanoacrylate glue. It gave me more room for error in seating the bead, as this is where I usually mess up. Also, use some strong rubber bands or tire mounting bands when gluing the tires. They keep the tires properly situated throughout the gluing process.
I just have to trim the beads, there are some irregularities I can see.
Plan is to glue bead into bottom of groove, let sit, glue side of bead to side of rim, let sit, repeat on other side...
Where would you get the touring car adapter?
Last edited by Shogun6; 05-09-2012 at 11:17 PM.
I had to order mine from amain or amazon, I can't remember. It would be sold as a "similar item" to the Dynamite wheel balancer. Your plan for gluing is what I do. Just know that the harder you press down on superglue, the faster it will adhere. You'll probably be able to tell how hard is too hard when trying to seat the bead.
Well for what it is worth they are glued up. A 1 inch strip of monkey tape down the middle all beads cleaned and prepped and smooth with no flash.
I did 2 right and 2 left.
Only stuck one finger to the tire so no need for copious amounts of acetone! Not the prettiest job but it should work. In a couple of areas the bead sticks up maybe 0.5 of a mm.
I installed the 23 tooth pinion which should get me pretty close to stock ratio.
I will let the battery charge and in the morning I will give it a test with the new wheels.
The only regret is I wish these tires were just a little wider. Oh well too late now.
I did a few speed runs and some bashing in the front yard. In total about 15 min both combined. Maybe 12 200 foot full throttle runs.
Stock spur gear and optional 23 tooth pinion.
Went back to the garage and measured temps...
Motor 120 deg
Esc 110-120 deg
Battery 100 deg
Seems this setup is reasonably well dialed in.
The stock battery is finicky to charge. The hitec keeps cutting out either by time or normal charge pattern. Finally seem to have gotten reasonable mah back in it....
Time for the lipos, traxxas oem 2s is still on back order, I might just have to jump to the spc batteries.
once you go lipo tou never want another batt
Xtreme has no limiits
Accept another lipo!
Just pulled the plug on 2-2s 2500 mah spc lipos.
The stock battery was pretty toasty after my nephew ran it for about 20 minutes. I wish I had taken my ir gun to get some perspective.....