Thread: cooling fan

RC poster

cooling fan

just bought a new cooling fan for my merv. what is the best way to wire it up? and is it worth the trouble?

You can wire it direct to the Rx...

I personally think they are a waste. Your MERV flying down the road moves more air than any small 6v fan ever will as long as the body is properly vented. Now, if you were a slow technical driver; I see value in a fan as you are not moving fast enough to get adequate air flow. I have also read that they seem to break within the first few roll overs.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would not run without my fan. I think they help a lot. All that air from the fan is concentrated right on top of the Esc. If you directed the outside air directly to the motor or Esc with scoop or tubing then it would help alot

RC poster
    what do you mean by properly vented how should i vent the body?

Holes everywhere is not the answer...
    If you go this route, you are going to want to remove sections that will direct flow across the heat sink of the motor and ESC.

For strength, be sure to keep your corners rounded.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I put a big hold on my front windshield and another in the back this for me helped the air flow and lowered my temps.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My motor gets to 150 with a Traxxas heat sink when bashing hard but my Esc with a fan never even gets close to 100

RC Champion
    I dont have any body ventilation except the small hole in the back of my shell for the motor. I havent had any problems. But with my stock motor i have heat issues all the time on stock gearing and a heat sync. So, i guess its worth a shot but i agree with shimmie. driving your truck will move more air over the motor than a fan.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If that were true having a fan would be worth extra cooling. Its not like with a fan you cut off airflow through the body

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    My motor gets to 150 with a Traxxas heat sink when bashing hard but my Esc with a fan never even gets close to 100
    What fan are you using for your esc?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sano View Post
    What fan are you using for your esc?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    I'm using a fan I bought from thetoyz for my esc then Integy heatsink w/fan. Some might say it doesn't help but for me I've noticed it does help.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/...filter=noflash
    Last edited by jtalaue; 05-11-2012 at 08:23 AM.

RC Qualifier
    It should be noted that fans don't cool the esc or motor by blowing air ONTO them, but cool by creating as much as a vacuum over the motor/esc as they can, which is done by pulling air away from the motor/esc. A merv going 40+ will have some serious air being pulled through the body.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jtalaue View Post
    I'm using a fan I bought from thetoyz for my esc then Integy heatsink w/fan. Some might say it doesn't help but for me I've noticed it does help.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/...filter=noflash
    Is this the ESC fan you're using? http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...7#.T61J3_KvPxw

I just got a 3s battery, and my ESC is getting quite warm. My motor is acceptable with the traxxas heatsink and better thermal paste..
    Last edited by sano; 05-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Fans work by blowing air into them not sucking air. They work very well if you don't believe in them dont run them. I run muchmore racing ultra high speed fan. Blows crazy air!
    Last edited by 50togo; 05-11-2012 at 12:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    My bad, fans can push or pull, depending on the type of fan. It seems that either method is as good as the other.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Never tested that I know on my denon 3808 home receiver that I put a 4" fan on top blowing air in seems to keep it cooler than when I had it sucking air out

RC Qualifier
    I still respectfully disagree. I see it similar to a cpu heatsink fan in which you want to pull the cool air through the heat sink and AWAY from the CPU or in this case the motor/esc.

RC Champion
    My vote goes to pulling the heat away from the electronics. But i dont run one so i guess my opinion is just a guess.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Dw do you even run a fan or just adding your two cents. A CPU is a closed system blowing air in without vents on the other side would be worthless

RC Qualifier
    I have a fan AND am adding my 2 cents.

I'm looking at the example of a CPU heatsink and cooling fan (NOT a computer case) If you blow the air over the heatsink TOWARDS the device your trying to cool, you are taking HOT air (heated buy passing over the heatsink) and blowing it towards the device you are trying to cool.

For instance if you look at a castle SV2 esc, it has a heatsink on it. If I put a fan on top of that heatsink I want to take that hot air AWAY from the ESC. I haven't had the traxxas esc's apart but I'd imagine they are similar with some type of heatsink built into them, hence why I'm voting for moving that heated AIR AWAY from the esc.

How about the mamba max pro with the integrated fan, which way does that blow?? I honestly do not know the answer but it might indicate which way ONE esc manufacturer has it setup.

Also isnt one nice thing about forums the ability to discuss different thoughts? I'm not implying ANY idea to be worthless, just offering a different opinion.

dm

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its mid 70's here and I flipped the fan to suck air ran it for ten minutes checked the temp and flipped it back and ran another ten it ran over 8 degrees cooler.you can run yours so it sucks
    Last edited by 50togo; 05-11-2012 at 05:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    ^^ the reason for the difference is that there are fans designed to pull air rather than push it. Most are designed to push.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I flipped the fan over not the blade. If to flip the blade the pitch would affect it but I didnt

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Although on these fans the blades can't be flipped

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sano View Post
    Is this the ESC fan you're using? http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...7#.T61J3_KvPxw

I just got a 3s battery, and my ESC is getting quite warm. My motor is acceptable with the traxxas heatsink and better thermal paste..
    No this is the one I'm using

http://thetoyz.com/Traxxas/Mini-1-16...he-Toyz/13026/

RC Qualifier
    I used to run all kinds of Novak speed controls on my brushed motors before they made esc fans, used a 5v computer fan for that. It was clearly the difference between thermaling and not thermaling when running 8 cells on a 9-15 turn modified motor. I put heat sinks and fans on my motor in my emaxx and that also clearly made a difference. I did not have a temp gun but the temps went from scalding hot to touchable. The motor lasted for years. Used a 12v case fan hooked right into the batteries. The more cells I ran the harder it blew. Also put a fan on that ESC from the door. It never thermaled once. Same with the rusty, put a small 5v motherboard fan on my BK "Warrior", never thermaled never failed.

I laughed when people told me they didn't do anything, and then novak started putting them on some models stock.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    just got back from some bashing the motor temp without the fan and with a heat sink 150 and with the muchmore ultra high speed fan on the motor 110 degrees .sounds a little better to me

RC poster
    well, i have a integy motor fan ans esc fan. i believe i can tell a difference in both. dont have a temp gun, but feels cooler to the touch. thanks everybody for the help.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you should pick a gun up came down in price back in the day they were 100.00!