Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

O.G.'s Bare Bones Basher build

So I’ve been planning to do a build for a while and finally decided on a Rusty, probably because I had a good donor truck waiting to be built up. I also had a few extra parts sitting around the garage but had to order a bunch of stuff.

Parts for the Build:

Set of E-revo tires I never used on my Revo
    Golden Horizon’s aluminum transmission – I want to see what all the hub-bub is about
    Traxxas Big Bores!!! After all these years, I have yet to use a set of these
    Jato 32p spur gear and pinions – I really like the reliability of this setup.
    T-bone front bumper and wheelie bar – I’ve never used their products and want to try ‘em out
    SPC 3s lipo – ditto – never tried their 3s lipo’s
    Viper VX4 Copperhead 550 esc/motor – I’m a huge fan of SquidRC reviews and they really like this setup.
    Dyed black chassis – thankfully done by the PO so I don’t have to.
    Custom body painted by a forum member – a deal is in the works for him to paint up a body for me, and he’s going to do True Flame paint.

Now some pics of the bare bones Rusty:

And a few of the Golden Horizons aluminum transmission case:

DuBro body clip retainers!!!

Last edited by O.G.; 05-06-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

I'm open to suggestions on the build.

First question to you guys: why did Golden Horizons leave the hole open in the bottom of the transmission case??? Now I have to put tape on my purty transmission case to seal out dirt/debris.

Last edited by O.G.; 05-06-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Cause I can't get it right the first time.

RC Competitor
    using the erevo tires does that mean you are going to have to use a 17mm adapter kit? If with the larger tires are you going to use anything to increase the width/stance of your rusty?

RC Racer
    I guess GH put it there as it is a duplicate of the stock one , just in alloy . The Tbone will cover it so no one needs to know the tape is there - the tranny will still look pretty . I used clear 3M vinyl that we use to protect the rockers panels on 1:1 cars .

Quote Originally Posted by degenerit View Post
    using the erevo tires does that mean you are going to have to use a 17mm adapter kit? If with the larger tires are you going to use anything to increase the width/stance of your rusty?
    Yes I'm planning on going to 17mm hubs on the Rusty but left that part off.

I've always thought about the protrac kit but never bought one. What do you think?

Sent from the cockpit of my Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Kansei View Post
    I guess GH put it there as it is a duplicate of the stock one , just in alloy . The Tbone will cover it so no one needs to know the tape is there - the tranny will still look pretty . I used clear 3M vinyl that we use to protect the rockers panels on 1:1 cars .
    Is there a supplier for the 3m vinyl so I could purchase a small amount? If its made for rock deflection I'll bet it's durable.

RC Racer
    I would think any automotive body shop supply would carry it or a auto/truck accessory shop that would have it - they may even give it to you as we are talking about a piece that would be scrape to them , I have thrown away pieces I have cut that were much bigger than what you would need . Did you find the foam you were looking for ?
    Last edited by Kansei; 05-06-2012 at 01:38 PM.

RC Champion
    Good looking rusty OG. I have never tried the pro trac kit but I like the rear arms on the front mod. Nice choiceon the tranny case I have three andthere great.
    I haven't had time to playwith my new airbrush but plan to soon. Send me a body and I'll make it cool for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by rraattrroodd View Post
    Good looking rusty OG. I have never tried the pro trac kit but I like the rear arms on the front mod. Nice choiceon the tranny case I have three andthere great.
    I haven't had time to playwith my new airbrush but plan to soon. Send me a body and I'll make it cool for ya.

I'm mailing it to you Tuesday morning and I'm looking forward to your magic my friend. No pressure!!

Quote Originally Posted by degenerit View Post
    Good idea, I think I'll order a protrac proline suspension kit for it... why not. I've had recent surgery so my build is on hold but I can still order crap off the internet.

RC Champion
    I really like your build platform. I myself just bought a GH tranny case (only silver) so I would like to know how you feel about that. and also if your wheelie bar has any trouble mounting? When u DO get the 17mm hub adapters make sure to use some blue loctite or you'll lose them. Cant wait to see progress =)
    Everything overpowered...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    First question to you guys: why did Golden Horizons leave the hole open in the bottom of the transmission case??? Now I have to put tape on my purty transmission case to seal out dirt/debris[/IMG]
    My very old Traxxas gearbox on my Bandit is like that, and I use tape as well:

I always thought is is just to clear the diff gear whilst trying to maintain the COG as low as possible.

At one point I used to stick left over decals on there

RC Qualifier
    what is this project about???

Quote Originally Posted by rustlervxl4life View Post
    what is this project about???
    hahaha thanks for keeping it real rustlervxl. This project is a mess is what it is.

I started this thread then had surgery on my hands and can't do much yet. I'll get it whipped into a proper build thread in the next couple weeks.

Got a few new parts in the mail:

Traxxas steel output yokes

STRC hinge pins

Test fit the Viper Copperhead esc good for 3s

Viper motor/esc, note the massive 5mm motor shaft

Ok I'm physically to the point I can begin working on this again.

I'm really looking for suggestions on the build so it will be a little different or more cutting edge. If you can think of a part that hasn't been tried before, please post it. Thanks.

RC Champion
    What shocks are you planning to go with? Youll love the STRC hinge pins.

RC Champion
    what about a body? I've personally been thinking about a truck bed liner'd one. Also, I bought protrac arms but I haven't tested them yet so I can't give you any advice on them. My expectations are high though

PS consider aluminum castor blocks if you don't have those, they'll break if you don't upgrade them.
    Last edited by brushlessbandit; 07-03-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Left something out

RC Qualifier
    Nice build and intresting parts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessbandit View Post
    what about a body? I've personally been thinking about a truck bed liner'd one. Also, I bought protrac arms but I haven't tested them yet so I can't give you any advice on them. My expectations are high though

PS consider aluminum castor blocks if you don't have those, they'll break if you don't upgrade them.
    A person on the forums is doing it for him as he stated all the way up there in the pics lol
    Rustler Vxl,Slash 2WD,Slash 4X4,SPC Lipos

Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    I bought a set of Losi Ten-T shocks that I plan to put on it. I'll post pics soon as I have them.

Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    Nice build and intresting parts.
    Thanks, I'm trying to make a little different and use parts new to me. I'm tired of building with the same old parts.

The Losi Ten T shocks are supposed to be more plush than the stockers. Here are the Losi's next to a set of BB's:

Last edited by O.G.; 07-03-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    When you installed them, did you ever ream out the A-arms for smoother action? I'm planning to do that soon as I figure out what size holes they are.

Quote Originally Posted by falconsare5@yahoo.com View Post
    A person on the forums is doing it for him as he stated all the way up there in the pics lol
    I'm thinking about bedlining the interior tub of my jeep. I have the carpet out now and a lot of Jeepers do that for durability and ease of cleaning.

And another:

RC Champion
    Any issues with the ten T shocks in terms of clearance when bottoming out ?

RC Qualifier
    Nice shocks, they sure are beefier than stock, or even BB. Nice combination with blue gearbox and blue shocks, a little bit of style as well. What about a alloy bulkhead?

I don't have the Losi shocks installed yet so I don't know how plush they might be. Other guys use them on their stampedes without any problems so it should be ok on the Rusty.

I am concerned about the Rusty not having enough weight to actuate the shocks properly so I'll just run it and adjust the springs and shock oil if needed.
    Last edited by O.G.; 07-03-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    Nice shocks, they sure are beefier than stock, or even BB. Nice combination with blue gearbox and blue shocks, a little bit of style as well. What about a alloy bulkhead?
    I'll look into an alu bulkhead. I wonder if STRC makes a blue one??

My A-arms, bumper and chassis will be plastic so I could get away with an alu bulkhead, i've never run a metal one on any of my trucks.

Good idea ttThree.

I pulled out my STRC hinge pins and saw I was missing a couple locknuts requiring a trip to the hardware store. For future reference they are size 6x32, and my hardware store only had them in chrome color.

Here are a few pics of the Swami differential. It is nicely machined and similar to the FLM diff, only more expensive and comes with no gaskets to seal in the diff fluid... I was hoping to fill it with 30,000 wt fluid and see how it performed but I know it'll spin out all the oil in a few seconds of running. I sent off an email to the Swami man and we'll see what he says.

RC Competitor
    looking like a nice setup there

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    When you installed them, did you ever ream out the A-arms for smoother action? I'm planning to do that soon as I figure out what size holes they are.
    I didnt at first, but came back to them later and did so. I wasnt aware of the simple task to free them up yet.

But my truck is almost completely STRC (aside from silver GH gearbox) and I love it. Id love to hear your impressions on the Losi shocks if you;ve ran the truck yet? Also to answer your question. YES, STRC makes a blue bulkhead. They make bulkheads in Silver, Red, Blue, Green, and Gunmetal. (I have blue,green, and gunmetal ones)

Let us know how that Viper setup runs. I've been interested to hear about it. Also I think the big square hole in the bottom of the tranny is an easy access to quickly re grease the tranny gears without disassembling. I could be wrong though. I've always just took it apart and cleaned the whole inside out, inspect bearings, re grease and assemble.

RC Qualifier
    WOW! that diff looks nice, let us know if you find a way to seal it.

How come you opted for that and not the FLM?

I may still have some sheets of the 3M vinyl at my shop. They're used a lot on 1:1 cars for stone protectors on paint, like in front of the rear wheel wells and rocker panel moldings. If I can find any, I'll send them your way.

The hole in the bottom of the trans is most likely an attempt at keeping the overall CoG of the trans down. The Magnum trans uses a hug diff gear (60-tooth) compared to most manufacturers. Even the older Traxxas buggies didn't have the hole because they used a much smaller diff gear. If the hole wasn't there, the whole diff would probably sit almost 1/4" higher so it wouldn't hit the bottom of the cases.

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    WOW! that diff looks nice, let us know if you find a way to seal it.

How come you opted for that and not the FLM?
    I have an FLM diff in my Sl2sh racer and am happy with it, I just wanted to test something else. I assumed it would come with gaskets to seal it up.

My local hardware store has tiny gaskets and I may take the diff down there to see about matching a set for this diff. I think I remember what they look like, 2 small ones, 2 large ones and I'll have the diff with me to test fit.
    Last edited by O.G.; 07-08-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    Let us know how that Viper setup runs. I've been interested to hear about it. Also I think the big square hole in the bottom of the tranny is an easy access to quickly re grease the tranny gears without disassembling. I could be wrong though. I've always just took it apart and cleaned the whole inside out, inspect bearings, re grease and assemble.
    I have been using this Viper setup for a couple months in my Sl2sh racer and I like it a lot. It's a big powerful motor and I've been itching to try it out on a basher setup. I've de-tuned it on the Slash via the throttle endpoint because it's too big and powerful for the small track where I race, but I plan to open it up for the Ruster.

The ESC isn't as sophisticated as my old sidewinders are, and my newer MMP's. Basically there are 5 profiles: 1 for nimh and 4 for lipo including a track setting (no reverse) and all of the individual settings are changeable with the esc programmer (which I don't have).

The motor is a 4600kv, 4 pole 550 sized beast. I've had zero temp problems with it at the track during the 5 minute heats with a stock Traxxas transmission case and an FLM differential. For what it's worth, my throttle endpoint is set at 72%.

I wish I had Castles 3800kv SC sidewinder setup to compare the speed and power with, but I haven't gone that route yet so all I have to compare it with are my velineon's and castle 4600/MMP setup.