Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    1. Nice truck, nice engineering, great job all around.
    2. No traxxas vehicle I have owned has gone as fast as the box said. This includes Revo, 1/16 slash, emaxx, and multiple rustlers. You need a GPS or radar gun verification unless estimating.

Overall this was a nice piece of work even if you didn't reach your stated goal.

Sent from the cockpit of my Jeep Wrangler
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Something I didnt mention is that when I look at the graphs, you didn't get to the top speed the car is able to reach yet.
    The speed graph of a car that reaches the maximum possible speed, bends to it's top speed (the right side) and has no spike shape (left side).
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Hello, did some testing today with tighter slipper clutch and longer straight, I managed to get 67 mph. In other words I maxed out my rusty yesterday even with shorter distance. Yesterdays straight was abought 230 (750ft) meters and it took around 180 meters (590ft) to reach 66 mph. In other words 1 mph differance between shorter distance or longer distance.

Maybe bigger pinion than 35t if im not wrong. On the other hand I have a hard time seeing the car at long distance..

Anyways I took some pics outside for once.

One thing I noticed is that my right front wheels is really unbalanced and wobbles, maybe I have to fix this to get even better stability. Also theres noticable play in the stock steering, which I want to remove. I also need to center the servo properly. This I will fiddle with the days ahead.

See you soon.

What are you motor temps after a few passes? I ask because I still think you are pulling too tall of a gear.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    According to my IR temp my motor was around 35-43 degrees celcius and with a temperature of 10-15 celcius outside. I dont know how much impact the outside temperature has though. I will try with a 33 pinion tomorrow maybe.

RC Qualifier
    Today I did a run with the 33t pinion and the speed I reached was 46 mph, compared to 67 mph with the 35t pinion. I dont know if this is accurate though, could it really be 20 mph differance? I tested with one gps app but it glitched and I switched to another one and did some running and the result was 46 mph again. It seems a 36t pinion will bring it to 70 mph. But thats history now since I will be dealing with new problems after getting my mmp esc and 4600kv motor.

I will do another run tonight at my usual place where I have good connection with the satelites.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ttThree; 06-19-2012 at 12:23 PM.

No way two teeth made you lose that much speed. I dont know what is out of whack but two teeth on a pinion did not cause that drastic of a difference.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Something is strange all right, it was a fresh battey. But just in case I will bring my 35t pinion with my tonight. Some how I think the gps app played a trick on me.

+1 on what Dad said. 2 teeth is less than 6% difference and the speed difference is more than 30%. Something is wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Well tonights run was a failure, first of all my car didnt go straight while accelerating, later identified that one of the pins that holds the rear arm had unscrewed itself. When I found out I was running low on battery so no more runs was made.

I got all kind of wierd readings on my gps apps, some times the app didnt read the speed at all, some times it was reading like "135 mph", some times "38 mph" and even when holding the phone still it was reading "25 mph". This was both with the 35t and 33t pinion. I got one reading with the 33t pinion though and that was 61 mph. I really starting to doubt any results at all and maybe the 67 mph achievment wasnt really accurate either. If I should be honest I didnt feel any differance between the 33 pinion and the 35 one.

I really think I need a "real" gps tó make conclutions. Something must have happened to my phone because it took forever to connect to satelities.

In other words my top speed is 'unknown' for the moment.
    Last edited by ttThree; 06-19-2012 at 02:58 PM.

RC Racer
    never use a phone, when you spin out you get weird ratings, you need to stay a couple of seconds on top speed to get accurate results. Phone gps is non official anyway.

I use a garmin gps unit, works perfect every time i use it.
    youre rusty would do 70 easy with the right lipo and pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I know, right lipo and pinions I have, just unfortiunate I cant test proper untill I get a gps.

RC Qualifier
    I can might as well have some fun, I found this laying around and I will see what it does. Its 4300kv but very low torque.

With heatsink on

I also put some grease on the rear arm pin to prevent friction, making it unscrew and mess upp my runs.

Se yaa

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDollarRustler View Post
    I'm just saying, getting a Rustler to do 70mph isn't groundbreaking. I don't care if you can hold 70mph sustained for 1 minute, because you won't be able to see where the car is that far down the road.

As far as consistent runs, whats the point, does Traxxas offer a buyback program if you can do 70mph 10x in a row?

I'm just trying to save you the grief from when you hit one rock out on the road and it sends your Rustler flying into a curb or cartwheeling for 80 feet. It's definitely fun the blow money and just throw parts at a car though. I had fun building my brushless E-Maxx. Until a few weeks ago, when my friend hit it head on at 60mph with his Slash and blew the truck in half while it was just sitting in the parking lot.
    You would think with a name like high dollar rustler he would appreciate sinking some money into it.

If I could do it I would. Cool truck dude.

RC Qualifier
    Black day today, I tested my funny etronix 4370kv motor and a 60A esc (******* *********) that I used in my former touring basher. I used 33/76 gearing and it was faster compared to the velineon, better acceleraton and top speed. If I hit 67 before I was definatly hitting 70 mph now.

This was a unsafe run though because suddenly the brake stoped to work while doing around 50+ mph. To prevent the car to run out on the open road and get hit by a car I tried to steer it in to a parking lot, unfortunately I hit the curb or a big stone, couldnt really see.

This is the damage though:

Parts I broke was 3640, 2640 and 3743, the right side took the blast. Thanks to my RPM bumper and alloy bulkhead the damage was not that bad.

The reason to this failure could be a the faulty on/off button on the esc making it to connect and disconnect while driving due to damaged wires. I thought I had fix it but maybe not. It could also be the thermal shutdown protection of the esc, I dont know if the esc has that function but it could be it. Then again how come I could steer? It could also be that the motor overheated making the magnets to demagnitize causing reduced brake force. When I walked up on the car only the steering worked, I cant remember if the esc was on or off.

I dont think it was radio problem because the steering worked at long distance, I dont think it was lipo cut off either because this was my 2:nd run with fully charged battery.

The motor and esc is not really meant to be run on 3s lipo, specially not in a truck with that aggressive gearing, so I believe it must have been some motor/esc failure. The motor was really hot and the esc smell burnt. How ever it still workes later on. Maybe this was some kind if heat related problem, who knows.

Anyway this is just a minor cost, and im in a process of inspecting the car. One part that may be in the risk zone may be the servo, but then again theres a servo saver for this kind of things.

Im a bit annoyed since im in a process of getting a castle system along with some other parts. Good part is that im going to change the steering bellcrank to alloy anyways.

It was plain stupidity on my side mounting a cheap half broken system on my truck, but the "need for speed" was to big huh.

/tt3

RC Enthusiast
    Well, I wouldn't call It stupidity. You experimented and it failed. So what?? That's how we improve IMO .

BTW, You got a great looking truck with nice mod's . I think once you install the CC combo you will be pleased with the results. I think you will reach your goal of 70mph+. I am less than a year new at this and I have crashed and broke more than I want to admit yet i am learning something new everyday. Best of luck with It TTthree. This Is only a minor setback, Greater thing's are to come

I've been a big Castle fan for years so I cant fault you for wanting to go Castle but I wish you would see your goal to break the 70 mph barrier with the VXL through to it's end. It can be done and you have what you need for the most part just a matter of finding the right gearing and the smooth run with no hiccups and you are there. Then you could always go with the Castle set up and set a new goal.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Well, the main point of getting castle isnt braking any records, but to get a more modern and tunable system. Most of my runs was done without gps apps, and most of my future runs will be done without gps as well. But yeah its all about the gearing and smoth surface I guess. I dont feel like putting any more time on the velineon system to brake 70, 67 or what ever is fast enough for me. Thats why I didnt go with a 2200kv setup and 6s because then its all about proving 100+ mph and im not a record braker.

RC Enthusiast
    I understand what what you mean. I to upgraded from my son's VXl to the castle. I wasn't trying to set any record's when I got this combo and still not. In fact I still run stock setting's. I just wanted a good dependable system that ran cooler than the vxl so I could play in the dirt longer. I'm glad to say I got what I wanted and then some. Good luck TTthree. I have been reading your threads/ pictures, Man, You got a awsome looking rusty. I can't wait to see how It turns out.

RC Qualifier
    Hey ttThree, i was just wondering where you got the weights for the front of your rusty. I want and need those for my mamba monster application. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    You find them in tire shops or ebay, its tire balancing weights actually. Considering all that amount of weight you need I would recommend finding a solid metal piece weigh around 1 pund, and then add some additional tire weights.

For example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stick-On-Tir...3eae60&vxp=mtr

RC Qualifier
    Thanks man!

RC Qualifier
    i really like your build im in the uk as well what county are you from?

RC Qualifier
    Yesterday I returned home and I could pick up my new motor and esc, along some other stuff.

I installed the Traxxas alloy steering, less slope then before. Since my steering assembly broke due to crashing I needed to replace it anyway.

Soldered TRX connectors to the esc along with BEC cables. It was a little bit tricky, I had to scrape off some plasic on the connector to make the wires fit.

The system, Castle MMP with CC BEC 10A

Mounting process and cable management...

More to come, take care

/tt3

Very nice job on the wiring!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I tested the system today everything seemed to work good. I was just suprised how easy the pinion gear came off due to all power. I have now put some loctite 638 on the shaft along with some 270 for the screw. Hope this will make the pinion stay in place. Pictures tomorrow.

/tt3

Somehow I still managed to keep my pinions on the shafts without breaking a grub screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Somehow I still managed to keep my pinions on the shafts without breaking a grub screw.
    Yeah once I bought some good hex drives all those issues went away for me too. No more loctitie or pinion gears coming off the shaft.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Yeah once I bought some good hex drives all those issues went away for me too. No more loctitie or pinion gears coming off the shaft.
    I was about to edit my post to add that. Good fitting tools are a big help to prevent stripping screws and being able to tighten them just a little more to keep them in place.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I bought some hex drivers today, Ill just wait and see how long my pinion stay in place. I had a Arrowmax hex but the tip broke strangely enough.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    Yeah I bought some hex drivers today, Ill just wait and see how long my pinion stay in place. I had a Arrowmax hex but the tip broke strangely enough.
    For the pinion set-screw, I always use original Loctite brand #648- never had problems!

You need to let a dry for at least 1 hr, don't use it before that!!
    Last edited by lcaa; 07-03-2012 at 11:56 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quick question, why are you feeding the cables to the motor through the suspension rather than the hole in the shock tower?

Apologies in advance if you did mention it and I missed it...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lcaa View Post
    For the pinion set-screw, I always use original Loctite brand #648- never had problems!

You need to let a dry for at least 1 hr, don't use it before that!!
    Sorry Sorry!! I is actually 243. Wait 24hrs for maximum strength!

270 is NOT needed and I do not recommend it, you will have problems to actually remove the setsrew after it completely dried.

If you still prefer to use 270, then you to wait for a minimum time of 150 minutes!

The maximum strength is achieved after 3 (!!!) DAYS.

Actually you should also check the expiry date on the bottle, if it is still good!
    Last edited by lcaa; 07-03-2012 at 01:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hello,

I did a testrun yesterday after letting the loctite cure for 24 hours, the pinion stayed in place. I dont know how old those bottles are, but one says "Loctite ltd 1999". As far as I know as long as there is air in the bottle the liquid is fine. I have used those before on my other rc and it seemed to work. When removing I heat the pinion with ligher or soldering iron. I think the bottles are at least 10 years old. The expiry date on the bottom is scraped off. I really hope I can use those bottles because I have several and one cost like 35-40 dollars. Honestly, many stuff I have is not really mine personaly, they belong to my dad, so I use what I can, while I can..

The 270 works fine for screws I use it on my other screws, but just extreamly little so I can unscrew later on. On pinions and such the 638 is perfect. But yes the 270 cures really slowly compared to other threadlock. I have some other kind of threadlocks, I migh take a look in my cellar.

@ cunawarit: the reason I dont feel the cables thru the shock tower is because it is hard to bend them with the sleeving on, specially if the motor is rotated 90 degress to the left, which is needed to make my heatsink fit. As you can see on picture 4, the sleeving is kinda stiff.

Pictures come soon.

RC Qualifier
    Okay, these days update:

Heatsink and motor, nothing special.

I cut a hole so I could connect the wires to the reciever. Not waterproof, but a whole lot neater then having all cables all over.

The cable management so far. I will mount the on/off switch in a proper way soon.

Rustler "Mamba" instead of VXL..

I dont like that the shaft is shorter than the velineon one. Pinion is on the edge.

Take care

Maybe it's my end, but I don't see pictures...

RC Qualifier
    Okey, thats strange. I use postimage instead of flickr now. Ill change host later on if others experiance the same issue.

RC Qualifier
    I dont see pics too...I mean after post #105. Did you post some later?

RC Qualifier
    Okay then I make a repost:

Heatsink and motor, nothing special.

I cut a hole so I could connect the wires to the reciever. Not waterproof, but a whole lot neater then having all cables all over.

The cable management so far. I will mount the on/off switch in a proper way soon.

Rustler "Mamba" instead of VXL...

I dont like that the shaft is shorter than the velineon one. Pinion is on the edge.

Stay tuned