RC Racer

Car cuts out after a few passes

Not sure if it's the thermal protection, but when my car gets a few passes on it, and it starts to get a bit warm (140 or 160 degrees via the Tqi telemetry) the car stops. It still steers, but it stops for a minute or so, then will do another pass, then it cuts out again. The battery still has PLENTY of juice left, so it is not LVC I suspect.

I run in a high school parking lot, and can hit around 85 MPH before I have to brake very hard. The hard braking seems to build a lot of heat. Running a 27 tooth gear.

Did notice after I brought it in that when I used my temp gun, it was about 15 degrees hotter at the back of the motor over what the sensor was telling me. That means that it can be hitting 180 to 200 back there if the sensor is saying 165 to 185.

Thoughts???

RC Qualifier
    This is the over-Heat protection in the Mamba monster.
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Qualifier
    Lower the pinion or let it cool every pass

RC Champion
    Does your esc fan run on start up? Maybe something is in it.
    Stop busting my canards!

RC Racer
    Nothing can get in my ESC fan as I have an Outerwears on it. Fan has yet to run--ESC doesn't seem to get hot.

RC Racer
    Does my jumbo, home-made, fan-cooling-system have something to do with this? It is over the sensor, and not the back of the motor. Never had any problems prior to running this configuration.

Last edited by BSC; 05-03-2012 at 07:58 PM.

RC Champion
    I'm fairly sure it should run momentarily on start up.
    Stop busting my canards!

RC Qualifier
    How warm was the outside airtemp when this happened? Same as usual or unusually warm? My esc fan has been on at the end of those long runs I did with mine and it was only 10-13celsius outside and motor was only in the 100deg neighborhood. You can actually hear it turn off in the last video I did. Sounds strange that yours hasn't come on at all yet since you probably live where its a warmer than me. It wouldn't surprise me if the esc fan doesn't work at all, I've had a castle fan that died after 1 batt cycle.
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Racer
    It was 87 degrees outside during my runs tonight.