i like how the front end feels with the hr rockers and green springs but i goofed up and put the black rate springs on my rears and i got a ton of push out of it...i have a set of grip tires on order and i rebuilt my shocks tonight with 5000 diff fluid green front and tan rears so i will see how well the works. i also ordered some turn buckles and rod ends to shorten my rear push rods so i can rid of some of the rear drop. i should have everything by the weekend so i can build and get it set up for next wed.
We've been racing them here in the Houston area for about 4 months now. All we have been doing is add adjustable tie rods, use 3000-7000wt shock oil, and lower ride height to about 5mm. We use either some Ebay high grips tires or the vintage tires. Cars are super fast and fun.
2 Stampede's, E-Maxx, Extended chassis T-Maxx 3.3
the new set up rocks but now i need to slow it down because i traction roll
Any more news on how this mod is holding up?
still working like a champ for me !
Thanks! Not to steal or change this thread but I recently purchased a used brushed motor Mustang. I plan on doing some local rally parking lot racing with but I am finding out that the brushed isn’t a very good way to go. I have a Velineon 3500 and ESC. Would the extra weight change the location for the holes, or the color of springs or oil wt. that I would need to use? Are there any dimensions for hole placement?
my friend runs a brushed car with the same set up and i cant really say if its the weight difference or his driving...we did gear him down from 28/50 to 23/55 and that helped a bunch
Sounds like drilling the front rockers is a good thing to do. Does anyone use the sway bars or does this eliminate the need for them?
yes its a very good thing to do and it works well with the stock green springs, as for sway bars we only have one guy that has them and the jury is still out on them
as it stands we all do a lot of grip rolling if we dont slow down but i would assume with the added weight up top it does not help
Drilled new rocker holes, mounted the Velineon 3500 motor and ESC from my Rustler. Lipo batteries should be next week. Running stock springs and oil in the shocks and stock tires. Not sure how it will do but I am looking forward to trying it out.
one other thing i have done and it helps is to make adjustable push rods to set the droop of the suspension , it lowers the ride height and helps with taking body roll out of it
I set the ride height using fishing line. I tie the line onto the original rocker hole and tie the other end to the front body post. Left rocker to right post and right rocker to left post creating an X like pattern. I like your method better. Guess it’s time for another mod.
cheap and easy to do all you need is ofna 38280 and traxxas 7059
Thanks for the info. The setup I used last month didnít work so well. The car felt heavy and fast but uncontrollable for me. I ended up getting the 380 Velineon motor. I did keep the VXL 3S, put it in the battery area to keep the weight low. New grip tires, 7k in the shocks, black springs up front and green in back, 25T pinion and things starting getting much better.
I used the Traxxas 7059 ends and since the LHS doesnít stock the Ofna parts I used 6-32 threaded rod cut to length. I did have to drill the ends of the 7059ís out a little to get the rod to screw in but it worked just fine. After I figured out the ride height I wanted I used some thread locker on the ends and shrink tubing to cover most of the exposed threads just to clean things up a little. Handles the same as when I used fishing line but it looks way better! Thanks again.
i now have adjustable toe rods and it has helped a lot , i run a slight toe in in the rear and a slight toe out in the front . thinking of getting a set up station so i know where my adjustments are other then measuring eyelet to eyelet