RC poster

Help me Please/LiPo in a summit.

I saw a video of the summit, looked for more videos, OMG i had to have one. I ordered one (green), will be here tomorrow. This is my first ever real R/C electric. I did some gas airplane stuff years ago. Any way, i did SOME (not enough) research and knew i wanted to upgrade to LiPo batteries. I found what i thought i wanted on eBay, purchased them and a charger. Now, i think i may have messed up. What i bought are.....5000mAh, 3s1p/11.1v/3cell, 25c-50c. The guy said that they FIT great in the summit and eRevo. What i did not read (my own fault) is that they WORK great in the summit/eRevo WITH mamba monster upgrades. Then i noticed that they would be at @ 22.2 volts in series. Now i am so confused, and have so many questions. First and most important is...Can i run these batteries in a STOCK summit with out hurting it? Summit speed control rated at 16.8 volts. 2nd ? Can they be hooked up so they only output 11.1 volts? 3rd? Does the stock traxxas setup install the batteries in series or is that a mod that is done? 4th? If these wont work, what battery specs should i look for to get the most bang for buck? I am looking for EXTRA run time and speed. As already stated i am new to R/C electrics so please overlook my ignorance and offer any help you can. This is my first post and im sure not my last. Thanks so much!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry for only answering one question out of all you have but i will say that the 3s batteries you have purcahsed will not work with the stock evx-2. you need 2s Batteries at 7.4v each.

A great 2s battery to use is the SPC 8200mAh Lipo battery, with a pair of them people have been getting up to 2 hours of runtim crawling and such through the woods.
    Hope i helped a little bit, sorry i couldnt answer more
    RX8 Powered E-revo
    E-Slayer

afol had a great start and great advise.

You definitely cannot use the 3S in the new Summits. You used to be able to use 1 3S and 1 2S, but with the new LVD ESC; it only allows 2 2S packs.

The Summit will barely move on just 11.1 volts... you really need 4S (2 2S in series) to get it moving.

The stock ESC is internally wired in series.

Welcome to the forum!!
    Please, in the future, post here about your purchases before you make them. It is better to ask before the money is spent to see if what you are going to get is going to work as you expect it to.

I am sure you are going to love your Summit... I know I love mine!!!
    I am currently running two 2S 7600 ******** LiPo's and am getting roughly 1.5 hour run times while doing mostly "crawling" with some high gear full throttle bursts.

How much do you know about LiPo?
    The only reason I am asking is because misusing LiPo can make you pay dearly because of lack of knowledge.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    thanks to you that have responded. I did get lucky and got in touch with the guy i bought the 3s batteries from, and he hadnt shipped them yet. He was happy to change my order to batteries that will work for the summit. As far as what i know about LiPo, its limited to what ive read here and other web sites. Prob just enough to get me in trouble. I am aware that, low voltage is an issue and that they have to be stored at a certain % capacity. 3.4v to 3.5v (i think). I did order a programmable charger from traxxas, and hope that it comes with good instructions. However i will take any instructions and or tips that i can get. Thanks again for the help, ill take all i can get.

I wrote this a while back...

LiPo 101
    now in session

1) NEVER discharge below 3v/cell
    2) NEVER charge above 4.2v/cell
    3) NEVER puncture your pack
    4) NEVER short out your pack
    5) NEVER use a pack that has puffed
    6) NEVER charge unattended
    7) NEVER charge at a higher C rate than recommended
    8) NEVER use a pack that has been over charged/discharged
    9) ALWAYS check cell voltage before connecting your pack
    10) ALWAYS keep your LiPo pack well balanced

To calculate the charge rate of your pack...
    mah x charge C rate / 1000 = charge amps
    For example, I'll use a 2200mah 20-40C pack that states a 2C charge rate on the back.
    2,200 x 2 / 1000 = 4.4
    This battery pack can be charged at 2.2 amps.
    - If no charge C rate is stated, 1C is the standard

To calculate the discharge rate of your pack...
    mah x minimum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example, I'll use the same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 20 / 1000 = 44
    This battery pack can consistently provide up to 44 amps.

When setting up your system, make sure that the lower discharge C rate matches or beats the continuous amperage rating of the ESC. I try to beat it by at least 10%. This practice will provide you the most out of your system and it will also keep your batteries from working too hard. A LiPo should NEVER be warm... during use or charging. If it is, you are abusing the pack. Also, the less your pack has to work the longer it will last.

Running two LiPo's in parallel will double your run time (mah) and also double your available amperage.

Running two LiPo's in series will double your voltage, therefore doubling your speed.

There are many charging options out there... it can get really confusing really fast. The best advise I can give is to get the absolute best charger you can afford... your charge system is the backbone of your electric RC hobby, treat it as such. RC's will come and go, but your charge system will remain.

The following features are what I consider to be the absolute bare minimum for a charger... balance charging and a storage charge/discharge feature. Storage voltage is 3.85v/cell. If the charger cannot perform these tasks, look for another charger. If you are going to be charging multiple LiPo's at the same time or 10th scale packs, I recommend getting a charger that is capable of at least 10 amps. Also, ANY half-decent charger can charge multiple LiPo's at a time. It does not require a dual or multi-charger to perform such a task. It only requires the right support equipment... I use a ParaBoard.

Here is what I have done...
    this information might help with your decision

I use *****/******* batteries.
    I have found them to be very reliable, extremely cost effective, and they have been proven to be under-rated; usually providing more mah and a higher discharge C rate than stated on the pack.

I use an iCharger 206B.
    When I purchased the charger, I thought I would never use all 20 amps of its capability. Well, now I rarely charge at anything less than 20 amps lol. I have even considered selling it to get more amperage! I have performed hundreds of charge cycles with this charger and it handles the task without a single issue.
    I highly recommend any charger in the iCharger line.

I built my own power supply.
    I have ~$30 into my 24v 75a 1800watt power supply.
    Sounds complicated, but it really is not that difficult. If you go this route, you are going to want a server power supply as they do not drop voltage when you are pulling amperage like a standard ATX PC power supply.
    You can also purchase these pre-built.

I hope this information helps!!

RC poster
    Thanks again, that is good info. As it turns out, for what i paid for the traxxas 6 amp charger and the dual board, i could have got the icharger 206b. Add a power supply for a few more bucks and i would have been WAY better off. I found the 206b for 100 bucks with a first time customer discount, Oh well live and learn. From now on i will be making a lot of pre purchase posts. ya"ll will get sick of me. At any rate, i wish the fedex and ups guys would hurry up. i am on the end of the route and they have MY SUMMIT and a few other odds and ends. YES TODAY is the day. I do need some help with a couple of items.... either a link to motor break in or just tell me what and what not to do. And how the heck do i edit my profile on the forum site? I found the customize my profile area but cant seem to change any thing. I know that is off thread....sorry. Thanks again. I feel like a new dad waiting for the birth of my first born.

I just took it easy the first two runs... slow on the throttle, never full speed.
    That is how I broke in my Summit.

I had thought of using the motor break in feature of the 206B...
    But the excitement of the new RC got the best of me. lol

What are you looking to change?

RC poster
    I just wanted to add some of the stuff i didnt put in my profile when i signed up. ie location, occupation... and my birthday is wrong. want to add a signature as well. On a side note, my mail lady just came and left my charger, now im even more anxious for the fedex guy to get here.

Go to your profile page...
    find the "forum actions" drop down menu
    select "edit profile"

RC poster
    New question. Will i need to change a setting on the summit to run the stock nimh batteries. It seems ive read that the LVA/LVC is set for LiPo, or something along these lines. My LiPos are going to be a day or two behind the truck. Again please pardon my ignorance.
    Protect the 2nd amendment.......with vigor.

Connect the stock batteries before charging. Check to see the colour of the LED. If its solid red, you're good to go with NiMh. If not, hold the ESC's button down until you get a few motor chirps/lurches and the LED goes red.

RC poster
    You ROCK, Thanks so much.

RC poster
    OK, my truck came an hour ago, im happy. Batteries are charging. Now my questions really start. My first concern is this. I was understanding that the newest summit did come with LVD. The esc says low voltage detection on it. However the manual states in big red letters that "the EVX2 is not equipped with low voltage detection, therefore not directly compatible with LiPo batteries" I Have hope that they just didnt reprint the manual when they upgraded the esc. 2nd concern is that the manual states that the included battery packs can be charged at 4 amps, They are 3000mah @ 7.4 volts, i understood that this pack should be charged at 3amps. I am ok with the faster 4amp charge, i just dont want to hurt the stock packs cause LiPos are still a couple days out. Lets start there. Any extra tid bits are surely welcome.

RC Qualifier
    They did not reprint the manuals.

You should have an insert in the paperwork that outlines the LVD functionality. It's a one page piece of paper.

If your esc has "low voltage detection" printed on the sticker, it's one of the new ones.

If you can't find the paperwork, call traxxas support, I'm sure they can email you a copy.
    ERBE, Summit, Thunder Tiger MT4

RC poster
    As Yoda would say...."Found it i did". thank you. Whats crazy is, that i read about that supplement in another thread, guess the excitement of opening the box has my thinker not working. Thanks again!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If it says LVD... it has LVD... Ive been running an LVD EVX2 in my E-Revo for a few weeks now and I must say, traxxas has the low voltage cutoff on this ESC set perfect. My packs come out at a resting voltage about an hour after the run of 3.6vpc... I'm very happy with that.

To break in the motor the best possible way you should loosen the motor mount and un mesh the spur and pinion (take the gear cover off to make sure they are not meshing. Then put the batteries in the truck, turn it on and set the throttle trim to MAX (might only be about half throttle... maybe less). Then let it run like that for about 20-30 minutes.

Once thats done, let the motor cool, get some RC motor spray (honestly, I use electrical contact cleaner), remove the motor completely from the truck, spray the internals of the motor out liberally with the cleaner. Then, blow the motor dry with compressed air (I use air in a can from a computer store). Then use some light bearing oil or 3 in 1 oil and lube the bushings on either end of the motor and let it sit for a few hours. It sounds like alot of work. But the truth is, if you want the longest life and best performance from any brushed motor, breaking it in correctly is the ONLY way to get it. Some people even repeat this process a 2nd time. I didnt and my E-Revo and summit are both running fine.

Charging the stock batteries at 4 amps is not that bad...
    It is only 1 1/3C

RC poster
    Wow im impressed so far. Im no expert but fit and finish on my new truck seems great..Roll cage and fender flares are even held on by screws, not just glued or snapped on. Ok more battery questions. Do the stock nimh packs need to be fully discharged before recharging? Should they be stored full, empty or some place in the middle? I have purchased 2 diff brands of LiPo packs. SPC 8200mah and some blue 5200mah, with the traxxas 6amp charger how long can i expect it to take to charge these packs? And what is the difference time wise, between just charging and balancing?

I store my NiMh at or near full.
    They like to self discharge... if they discharge too far, you get a dead cell; a junk pack.

From LVC to full: Roughly 65 minutes per pack @ 6 amps
    From Storage to full: Roughly 35 minutes per pack @ 6 amps
    6 amps is .73C

From LVC to full: Roughly 45 minutes per pack @ 6 amps
    From Storage to full: Roughly 25 minutes per pack @ 6 amps
    6 amps is 1.15C

This is where a high amp quality parallel charge system comes in handy...
    8200's from dead to full would take me about 40 minutes for BOTH batteries at 1.22C.

The time difference between just charging and balancing depends on a LOT of factors... the speed of the charger, how it balances, when it balances, how far out of balance the batteries are...
    So the exact time cannot be given... nor a real rough time either.

RC poster
    OK, first set of LiPos made it, They are from the guy that i bought the 3s from, he swapped em out for me. Im sure he came out ok based on cost, but he saved me a lot of trouble and did ship 2nd day mail. So im good with how it worked out. Couple more Battery questions. 1st, i am still unclear on when to charge( yes i know, when they need it) what i mean is should they be run down to LVC or can they be charged after they have been run awhile? same ? for the Nimh packs. 2nd when we balance are we balancing the two packs or are we balancing the cells within the same pack. I would so be up a creek without ya"ll helping me. I thank you so much for the time you spend helping me and others.

LiPo's have no memory... you can charge whenever you feel like it.
    When you balance charge, you are balancing cells within the pack.

NiMh's claim to have little memory... I usually suggest running them down most of the time... if not all of the time.