RC poster

How To thread for Mods

Has any of the guys who have been on here for a while or are pretty knowledgeable on the subject considered making a sticky thread on some of the beginner and intermediate mods for the Nitro Rustler? It may be helpful to also include part to swap out too. Its impossible to search for what you don't know is out their?

RC Champion
    a sticky for the vxl mod would be nice where 1/2 of us done it and the other 1/2 are doing the homework on it now. It is hard to search fpr a post you read in the past. About 2 years ago I saw how to put a jato tank in the rusty and I never found the post again.
    Shaggy...

RC poster
    Wow I figured this would get more input.

RC Champion
    It would help to be more specific about what you would like to change. If you was to look at the posts that Shaggy or myself has done. You would see between the 2 almost every mod that can be done. Mike-SusieQ1 has posted the pics from the idler gear mod. Have an idea of what you want to do and just ask. One of us will have the answer.

RC poster
    I was suggesting that someone with the right knowledge on what to search for compile all the of the successful mod threads into one thread. So when folks want to know whats possible and what can be done they can turn to that thread rather than scouring every page of the forum or putting vague phrases into the search hopping you strike gold. If someone tells me what to look for I will compile it.
    Last edited by Just Prince; 05-05-2012 at 08:47 AM.

RC Champion
    as I come across mods, I will compile them and post them....may take a few days but I'll make a thread and add it to my archive. When folks want to know, I'll post it for them. but I need a few days to research

RC Champion
    So you want someone to do all the research for you? Sounds kind of lazy to me. Would you like to have someone put them on your car for you as well? It has taken me years to figure out all the tweeks and mods. And I am still coming up with new ones. But you would like them all at once. I quess that would be nice. Extremely Lazy IMO. No sense of creativity.
    I am always willing to help people out. If you have a question on how to make it better or to fix it if its broke. I can answer it. My best advice if you would like to do every mod possible. Is to do what I suggested in my first post to this thread. Between Shaggy, Mike-SusieQ1 and Myself. You can find every mod possible. Then you can compose your list. Do the research! Type Slutsler into the search box. On that car I have done almost every know modifcation that can be done. I dont include a shopping list for you but the information you are looking for is there. If you want it bad enough you will do your homework. Nothing worth having comes easy.

RC Champion
    I almost feel bad about my last post. Almost! anyways here is a quick list of mods.
    RPM Bumper, Electric version A arms, Caster blocks, Steering blocks, Nitro version rear bearing carriers.
    Aluminum Bulkheads
    VXL suspension hardware and turnbuckles.
    Aluminum Bellcranks
    VXL Screw kit
    Steel driveshafts
    3.3 engine or better
    500K grease in diff with RRP planetary gears. Seal the diff while your in there.
    Steel idler gear
    Ceramic bearings
    Sealed RX box
    2.4ghz radio
    2075 servos or better
    Aluminum upper chassis. Or swap upper and lower chassis for carbon fiber. (only recomend CF for street builds)
    T Maxx or Revo brake linkage
    RPM Body mounts
    Upgrade clutch (very optional)
    Rechargable RX Pack
    Big bore shocks

I am sure I missed a few. For most the mods its not even considered modding. It just swapping parts from on model to another. They only require a basic understanding of the car to accomplish. Hardest mod is the Steel Idler Gear. And its not needed unless you run your slipper tight.
    I hope this is what you are looking for. Additional research will need to be done to find out how to do a couple of the actual mods. But the blueprint is laid out for you. A little more homework and you will have it.
    Last edited by Powerman; 05-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Part of the fun of the hobby is figuring out what to modify and with what. If you are looking for a list of mods to do, then IMHOo, your truck will look like everyone else's out there. It's your truck, decide how you would like it to look then search for other threads and use the info as a resource. Just because someone runs xx part does not mean you need to.
    Also, take a look at the picture gallery at the top of the page and see what others have done. We mods try to keep it clean so there is no chat and only photos.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-05-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Thanks Double G. Thats essentually what I was trying to say. Where is the fun if you do what everyone else has done. The best part of my build was the trial and error. IMO it made me a better builder. And now if something goes wrong I know what to do to correct it. Changes should be made to suit ones needs. Not to keep up with what the other guy is doing. My truck is one of a kind. I like it that way.

RC poster
    Some of you are still missing my point. It not about my car or anyone else car looking like the next persons car. Their changes and parts upgrades that can benefit everybody. That's what should be easy to find. For example the jato brake upgrade that was mentioned or the fuel tank swap. That is something everyone can benefit from. Threads like the one on the sluster shouldn't be included. If you want a car like that figure it out yourself like Powerman did.

i get what your saying to make a sticky so people have the ideas of what mods can be done but thats why their is a search option for each forum or a general search will do the trick to find something. say if you type turnbuckles or front end mods something of that nature it will pop up. if it doesnt and you still cant find what your looking for then make a thread of your own and ask what mods can be done to improve, strenghten, make your rustler go faster. sometimes it requires people to make a thread and its easy to make threads only after you attempt to search for what your looking for a couple times atleast. hope this helps.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    For the N. Rustler its more parts replacement than mods. Only REAL Mods is Idler Gear and Sealed Diff. Everything else is swapping parts and hop ups. No need for a Master Thread.
    Last edited by Powerman; 05-05-2012 at 11:17 PM.

so true about that Powerman. really not needed. i can find alot of the mods just by searching and like you said its more replacements
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    I want to put a Nitro Revo/T-maxx slipper clutch on my rustler....now that will be a MOD!!! YEA!!!

I did the VXL front swap out yesterday - need to get more parts today for the rear....crap, then I wont have tires to fit...POO!