RC Qualifier

uh oh... some clicking/gear noise

Hi all,

while trying to climb a small log (well more like a branch) the other day and suddenly heard some clicking noise.

I've been trying to troubleshoot the noise using some of the tips in other threads but cant seem to narrow it down. I've tried holding the wheels and slowly moving them (2 and 4 wheels) but cant seem to re-create it.

the noise it only seems to happen on startup (i.e. throttle from start) or when the truck gets stuck and only seems to happen in high gear. (the truck is too slow in low gear to do a fast start )
    I've adjusted the slipper so thats not it. I opened the rear diff and on the outer case it seems ok. dont have any diff fluid with me so didnt open the final case with the spider gears.

1. short of tearing the whole truck down what I can do to narrow it down?
    2. also how do I know if its the transmission and not the diffs?
    3. does our truck have a centre diff as well? (the one connecting the central drive shaft from front and rear) if so how do I check that?

not sure if its related but not sure why the rear drive shafts seem "sticky" also - they're not adjusting their length smoothly as they would normally (the part where the boots cover them). how do I maintain them and free them up again?

RC Qualifier
    Try to find out if its front or rear. You can lock and unlock the diff to help find out depending on whats causing it. It probably isnt the center.

Tear that end apart. If it happens on turns or when the diff is locked, probably spider gears. If only happens on take off, probably ring gear related.
    Sounds like your in the early stages though. A tear down now may not require any new parts, just a shim or 2.

RC Competitor
    Another thing to look for is a center driveshaft striping out. I rebuilt both of my diffs twice and was about to lose my mind when my front driveshaft finally stripped all the way out and I discovered the problem. It will make almost the exact same noise as the diff.!

RC Qualifier
    Mine makes an occasional click sound (low geared, locked) just as I'm about to power up over an obstacle from a stop. However it still climbs like a mountain goat so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it hehehe.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the tips guys....

Chapinb - I tried various locking/unlocking scenarios but still looks fine. it happens with diffs unlocked as well. and really wierd that it happens in high gear too which led me to wonder if its the transmission instead. which is the ring gear? is it the large one in the main diff case?

memphis2857 - I'm going to look into this as well - I only had the chance to check the rear portion of the centre shaft which looked ok - which part failed in your case? the shorter one at the front or the rear one? and which part stripped (was it where the "shaft teeth" meet)?

maxi_single - thanks, I'll try not to take the clicking too seriously but worried about the diff "exploding" internally

to all any advise on the sticky rear drive shafts too?

RC Qualifier
    The ring gear is the large gear inside the diff, yes. If you tear into it now but it looks fine shim it some.
    Replace the input shaft bearings too. Thoes buggers have caused more than half of my failures.

RC Qualifier
    chapinb, yes when I opened the outer casing I did notice some play on the pinion and if I moved it, the meshing with the ring gear did have some "free play" or positions it would not grip the ring gear.

is the input shaft bearing the pair of same sized bearings holding the pinion gear?

RC Qualifier
    bump for extra help pls... thanks

RC Qualifier
    I can't help technically however with the Summit's very complex powertain I think some noises are expected. As for my situation, I have the same click noise but it's been like that for 3 weeks and and it's not getting worst, it's still runs great (I run MMM so it's very hard on the drivetrain ) I'm not worrying about it. Also there's always the possibility of tearing into it trying to fix it and making it worst, that's life. So I guess my advice it if it still runs great and the problem is not getting worst then have fun and don't worry

RC Qualifier
    thanks maxi single...

after playing around with it a little more I think I now understand the previous threads and comments on shimming and rebuilding diffs with shims. only had my summit for a few months and its already exhibiting such wear.

I tried the links for the shims but they're out of date - any suggestions on shims source?