Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC Champion
    Well well well.

I've been nagging myself every day for the past bunch of months to get back to work on this.

I've been bringing myself around this forum on and off more and more frequently over the past few weeks, and today I've started to re-arrange my work area so that I can get back to work on this.

I've been losing little screws and washers and connectors and switches to various projects over the past year so it will be interesting to dig back in to this project.

I STILL never heard back from those laser cutting/engraving guys so I'm over that whole ordeal.

I ended up getting too carried away on the design of the control station that the vehicle itself got left behind and never properly finished. JUST as I could have, I got that BMW and it took all my attention.

Hopefully within a couple days I can get both halves of the chassis put together, get a remote working to control throttle, servos, and 4ws if I can find everything and then build from there. Right now the front half and rear half are built on two separate chassis, I just need to cut and combine them. I'm going to use extruded aluminum angles to combine both halves as it should be light enough and certainly strong enough.

I figured the sooner I post an update, the sooner I'll have to get to work!

Sorry for the let down. =)

RC Champion
    Just checked all of my batteries, and they are STILL at 3.8 - 3.85 per cell! NOT BAD for sitting for over 8 months! I figured they would all be dead by now.

Worked on making a drive shaft for underneath, but there are a few unexpected issues - related to the u-joint idea I had for connecting the front/rear halves. No biggy, can just use a grub screw instead though I didn't want to have to.

Going through everything, for SOME reason I have about 14 servos!? Just steering servos, what on earth was I doing!?

Glad to see you revive this, Krall!
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Just checked all of my batteries, and they are STILL at 3.8 - 3.85 per cell! NOT BAD for sitting for over 8 months! I figured they would all be dead by now.

Worked on making a drive shaft for underneath, but there are a few unexpected issues - related to the u-joint idea I had for connecting the front/rear halves. No biggy, can just use a grub screw instead though I didn't want to have to.

Going through everything, for SOME reason I have about 14 servos!? Just steering servos, what on earth was I doing!?
    Welcome back,thought we may have lost you.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Woohoo I was waiting for you to finish this build
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the warm welcome back guys!

RC Champion
    SO after cutting some shafts apart I realize I need more parts. Hopefully the local shop has'm.

Basically I planned on cutting the ends off some drive shafts and using them to connect the front to the back. I didn't buy enough before, as I forgot about the transmission and the size it is and that it means basically having DOUBLE the amount of drive shaft length.

I don't want to do metal I want to keep it low cost and easy to replace instead of some unique part that I can't find anywhere..

RC Champion
    So I just ordered two more sets of center shafts, that should certainly make up the space difference.

In by Friday, so for NOW nothing much will be happening.

Was kinda cool though, the shop answered, "Wow, haven't heard from you in a long time!" Shucks..

RC Racer
    Awesome to see you back...i had read pretty much all of this thread and thought something was wrong with my computer cause it said the last post was in August! (Found my way through a separate thread). Anyways, curious to see how it all works out!

TEEEEKIIIIIIIIIINN POWEEEEEEER
    Tekin 1900kv/Rx8 Summit
    1/10th Rally

RC Champion
    Heya, and thanks!

I've decided I'm going to go SERVOCITY route and spend the cash and do things, "proper."

I really enjoyed making parts out of aluminum - cutting, bending, grinding, etc... but they weren't PERFECT and I just didn't have the results I was looking for.

So I'm going to buy everything from servocity and go from there. $120 pan unit. $45 tilt unit. $5 here, $10 there, $2 the other place.

Using servo blocks, panels and angles all supported with proper bearings and thick supports I'll build a very strong and solid but extremely light-weight setup.

I've spent the better part of 10 hours today going through their site figuring out how best to do things. I've got some stuff built up in 3D as I'm piecing it all together, nothing much to show as it's all just conceptual but here's where I'm at:

Won't mean much to anyone else right now, but the placement of things is what's most important. The battery trays will be supported by 1/8" aluminum channels with rubber o-ring straps to keep them in place nice and low. The battery trays will have the tops cut off to allow the batteries to sit nice and low like the stock setup, but total 10,000mAh for some extra long drive times.

The engine will be mounted at the back of the car, kinda hot!

Three antennas mounted in an array as seen for all the controls - drive, steering, tilt, pan, zoom, lights, etc...

The camera antenna will be mounted at the highest point, it will be a whip style so nice and flexible for those accidental over-turns.

Right now I'm just going through which arms and bushings and plates and on and on and on I'm going to use to make the majority of supports/sections for all the electronics.

My 3D printer has been up and running for the past bunch of months but it just isn't the tool for the job as I had hoped. $3000+ and not much use, what a shame to have to say! It did it's job though for what we got it for (prototyping underground communications equipment.)

Anyway, that's what I've been up to today! Probably have something tomorrow to share.

RC Champion
    I rebuilt everything to be to scale.

Proper scaled pan system (and cheaper and more functional!) and proper scaled tilt. Chassis was built to scale as were the motor, batteries, shocks etc.. all for placement purposes.

Here's the latest:

Now I just need to actually build the chassis (waiting on shafts, still supposed to arrive for Friday) then I will be able to figure out how to properly mount the VTX and the three receivers. For now, everything looks pretty good for moving forward. There will be a heck of a lot of wires but I've got some plans for keeping those in check.

No bumpers yet as you can see in the concept, but no biggy for now.

RC Champion
    Updated the scale of the cameras and receiver and antennas, come up with a pretty solid solution for the pan tilt control and power setup:

Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-28-2014 at 10:05 PM.

RC Champion
    Lookin good, interested on how you mount the motor back there.

RC Racer
    Can't wait to see it all completed!

Sent from my iPhone
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

RC Champion
    Good god this thing will be a beast, going to be a lot of long days in the shop for sure, lots of work.

Sprint S4 | Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Thanks!

The pictures are all skewed, jeeeez!

The motor is already mounted like that UP front like that

I have pics earlier in this build thread, but here's a refresher:

I noticed the Motor was off, BIG time! I deleted the one I made to scale, and never noticed :O EUGH I hate that.

Anyway made it again, TADA!

Last edited by krallopian; 01-28-2014 at 10:32 PM.

RC Champion
    I pressed record after finishing up some details on concepts:

I've had music on all day, and was shocked to hear the song I thought, "What the heck now Youtube puts music on my videos!?!?" But it was youtube music I had playing when I was recording, EUGH! Sorry about that.

Anyway video shows the details and the simplicity of it all!

RC Champion
    Latest update:

Been sitting on my butt since the LAST update, both it and my eyes are done for!

I've confidently finished the design. Everything fits exactly right, cable management was a huge goal and it's going to have VERY minimal cables visible.

I have sourced project boxes for everything I can, and will have to make the top "box" out of a sheet of ABS, already have the plans drawn out for the cutting.

There are three receivers on board.
    There is GPS and on-screen showing everything from distance, speed, power used, signal strength, voltage for both the car and the electronics separately.
    There is at least one *10amp Castle BEC mounted in the rear center box. Both rear side boxes house a receiver each.
    The front and rear bumpers/supports/lighting are all fit together to both look cool and be fully functional.
    Basically the only wires that will be visible are from the steering servos where the originate, and from the motor to the box in front of it - about an inch will be visible.

I've ordered the red tail light, a couple extras for both rear and main lights. One thing that I missed out on though was from ServoCity - the guys that sell all of this awesome stuff! All of it is aluminum and it's basically like lego! It all fits together, and is easy to figure out - though I've spent the better half of a week on their site going between parts because I've been constantly improving the design.

All in all, if I go 50mph and crash, it'll be a huge upset and big expense I'm sure! Too bad they don't sell RC insurance hahah!

Here are some visuals:

Best part: With all the extra aluminum and screws and plates and hubs and on and on and on, it only adds 2.2lbs in total! Then there's the batteries, cameras, servos and project boxes, but batteries always have to be there anyway, the servos weigh about 180oz in total and the camera and transmitter is probably the only "significant" weight on the thing!
    Last edited by krallopian; 02-02-2014 at 12:50 AM.

I am looking forward to seeing this masterpiece of technology
    Running,but quality takes some time.throw some curveballs called life in the mix and more time.it will be a one of a kind.
    That is cool

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Thanks Jamann!

I've got the FINAL concept built. Everything fits together nicely with room to spare and/or move around when the REAL parts show up.

$500 in parts in total! Price kept going up and up and up and up. Like the day I started this project, "a couple hundred bucks maybe.." thousands later I'm here! Haha, as you said above jamann, need to find time for life too - to FUND this whole idea!

I could have done all of this for a lot less than $500, but I'm getting all the extra screws, and mounts, and hubs and couplers etc that I could have just made myself. I want this to be SOLID not flimsy at all.

$400 for that. Then I started on the STAND idea. $50 for that in parts. Then I went with wire, and other random stuff. $500 plus taxes and shipping on top of that. They're giving me 10% off though, so that's kinda sweet - pays for shipping on my end!

Hope y'all like:

As you can see, it's still very much Traxxas: Chassis, mounts, suspension, arms, and diffs and such. Only now it's a 24" long Summit chassis with independently locked Diffs and four-wheel-steering. And night vision, and 30x zoom, and does 50mph >)

I'm looking for words....but can't come up with anything that does justice to this machine,I'm speechless at the rendering(very nice work by the way)let alone the machine itself....outstanding!

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Thanks Jamann!

I've got the FINAL concept built. Everything fits together nicely with room to spare and/or move around when the REAL parts show up.

$500 in parts in total! Price kept going up and up and up and up. Like the day I started this project, "a couple hundred bucks maybe.." thousands later I'm here! Haha, as you said above jamann, need to find time for life too - to FUND this whole idea!

I could have done all of this for a lot less than $500, but I'm getting all the extra screws, and mounts, and hubs and couplers etc that I could have just made myself. I want this to be SOLID not flimsy at all.

$400 for that. Then I started on the STAND idea. $50 for that in parts. Then I went with wire, and other random stuff. $500 plus taxes and shipping on top of that. They're giving me 10% off though, so that's kinda sweet - pays for shipping on my end!

Hope y'all like:

As you can see, it's still very much Traxxas: Chassis, mounts, suspension, arms, and diffs and such. Only now it's a 24" long Summit chassis with independently locked Diffs and four-wheel-steering. And night vision, and 30x zoom, and does 50mph >)

This is a really sweet build! Very interesting. This might be a little off topic, but may I ask what editing program you are using?
    ERBE,Slash 4x4,Bandit,T-maxx 3.3 x3

RC Champion
    Haha I swear - as I've said many times already - I think I only do all of this for the kind words I get from everyone!

I always find myself doing things with my hobbies and my main thought is always, "I can't wait to show the fellas on the forums!"

maxxdigger, I'm using Maya 2013! Learned Maya back with Maya 3.0 10 years ago in University and just stuck with it since, its not everyones favorite but I've grown alongside it through the years.

Thanks again guys =)

RC Qualifier
    Great to see you back into this project. Like everyone else I'm patiently waiting for you to get this done.
    Need to get my butt back in gear and get my project done, but another surgery has slowed me down.
    Only thing I see that would bother me is you are going to end up with a high center of gravity due to all that high hardware, but am sure you have tried to compensate for that.

Nice to see all the updates Krall
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Racer
    Thank you very much! I am also waiting patiently for you to get this done haha
    ERBE,Slash 4x4,Bandit,T-maxx 3.3 x3

RC Champion
    I cut the chassis' apart today to make the one larger one. Can't join them yet because I still haven't placed the order from Servo City yet. I KNOW for a fact that as soon as I hit BUY NOW on the order I'll find 5 things wrong and kick myself for it.

Today after cutting the chassis' - which is actually a difficult thing to do - I realized I was 0.5" off in total!! I measured 12" per side 15 times, then after cutting them I was at 11.75" on the exact same line!? Either way, I was able to shave .5" off the front of the design using a 3" project box vs the 3.5" box that I had there. It's the box that will house the ESC and power button. Close call!

Tomorrow I'll probably certainly hit order - I just want to be CERTAIN.

Oh and I got my drive shafts in today!

THREE in total.

I took three center drive shafts - the splines - and cut the ends off and combined them all to make one long one from the front transmission to the rear differential. Eek.

$5 each, and six pieces in total.

RC Champion
    Got the two halves cut and cleaned, and removed the top of the battery trays:

After cutting the rear portion off of the chassis:

Tops removed!

How they're currently sitting on my desk after being cleaned up and smoothed out:

The new size! There's a gap in the top center where they meet, but that's because the driveshaft has to fit through that tunnel and I'll be cutting it out to size once they're together - once I receive the parts from Servo City.

Absolutely killer!!

Question:
    How difficult would it be to cut out just the battery bays and attach them to a slab of aluminum?
    Thinking on a project of my own... and wondering if the stock battery bays can be removed and attached and still be functional.

PS:
    We have the same keyboard.

RC Champion
    To remove the trays as a WHOLE? The inside portion is a part of the main center support structure of the chassis so you would have to cut half way in to that. But to just remove the top and bottom portion (where I only removed the top) wouldn't be very difficult at all, but hardly usable afterward.

You can see in the renderings I've done I'm putting the batteries in with a totally different method: (I didn't bother putting time in the modeling of the rubber bands)

Of course mine are mounted differently, but it's the same idea.

also, aside from the supports I'm making from the parts I'm going to order, I have a use for the aluminum strips I bought last year:

Last edited by krallopian; 02-05-2014 at 03:47 PM.

It is a thing of beauty you are creating here... cannot wait to see it up and running!

RC Champion
    Man this thing is cool, great dremel work there

RC Champion
    Haha, thanks revoman!

And thanks Jimmie, I too can't wait!

I just placed the order from Servo City now. $495USD. Came to $565 CANADIAN! What the heck is that crap!? A couple months ago I was buying stuff on par, this drives me crazy.

I paid $65 MORE for no reason other than... EUGH wrong place for this.

ANYWAY, 8lbs in total! There are extra bits, but no more than a quarter pound worth.

I took USPS International shipping - 6-21 days, so hopefully it's closer to 6 days delivery than 21!

Good job!.
    Sorry for my bad English!

RC Champion
    Just ordered the final bits I think! Project boxes and some FFC connectors (flat ribbon cable connectors for the zoom/focus stuff)

I'm officially broke again hahah! Nah, but NOW I remember why I regretted working on this stuff. Once I get the parts I'm sure things'll be different.

One nice thing, I woke up this morning realizing I forgot 8 .375" stand offs from Servo City! Emailed them, and they added them in for free for me, how nice!

Anyway this project will be in limbo now until I get the parts.

Thanks again for all the great words errbody! =)

RC Champion
    Tada!

Not yet attached to each other, only the drive shafts:

Once I cut the shields at the correct line, it'll all be protected. Had my fingers crossed that EVEN THOUGH I measured they wouldn't work, I was still hoping the holes would line up on the other end of the chassis - but nope.

Lined it up to the model in Maya (3D program) and it's exact! 15.5" between the tires, 23.5" front chassis tip to chassis tip.

(just noticed, I have to reverse the tires on one end! Hah)
    Last edited by krallopian; 02-07-2014 at 01:45 PM.

I was going to ask which was was forward... lol

I wonder how hard it would be to make a center shaft cover... maybe with stand offs and some thick aluminum bar stock? This would tie in both right down the center.

RC Champion
    I was looking at different ways - the issue would be hooking it in to/with the transmission and rear differential. Also weight.

The less rotating mass the better. And for $5, I figure if anything breaks - super easy and cheap fix!

The cover... not the shaft itself. I agree with your shaft setup... by the time and energy is spent to make a metal or aluminum one just cannot match a $5 part that is probably more than up to the task.

RC Champion
    Oh man, I find myself mis-reading posts more and more! Still 30 years old, what's happening to me!!? Haha

I was thinking of making an "aftermarket" shield, but I don't think it's going to be necessary.

RC Qualifier
    Dude that looks nice cant wait to see it finished. I was thinking of stretching mine but with an 4Ws aluminum chassis and putting dual trans on it. I really like the way it sits now so i will just have to buy another Summit and do the mods to it.