RC Qualifier
    "The first FPV Summit with a crane"
    If the FPV was cool... Is a lot better with a crane lol
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    geez i have been watching this thread for a while and i must say for one your computer graphics are pretty good looking. i wanna learn to do that myself. and i also must say that i thought that you saying you were gonna have 3 cameras is insane (in a good way) but a crane geez this is probably gonna turn into a military tool prototype in anytime XD i think it sure would be faster then what they have right now. and handle better too.

RC Champion
    Haha yeah this crane idea is pretty exciting for me. It SHOULD be referred to as a, "Manipulator Arm" as that's really what it is, I need to stop saying crane.

It's hilarious, when it comes to military stuff. There's a tmaxx vehicle out there, with a basic platform and controls on it selling for over $100,000 and Nasa took it and changed the controls to an xbox controller and wifi for secure video and control. That's insane, $100,000 for something that costs $1500 to make!?!? I'm buying all kinds of equipment I don't need for this unit so the price will probably total $3000 at the end of it all, but even still.... not bad, making $97,000.00 per unit!

The stock suspension won't be strong enough to support everything so that's going to be a quick hurdle to get over when the time comes.

Using three cameras almost isn't enough! But it'll have to be haha. I'd LIKE to have one on the arm itself, one looking at the arm, another for FPV main driving, another for rear. But because I have pan and tilt, I'll be able to have just a REAR mounted, ARM mounted, and Pan and Tilt so that I can look anywhere I want. Three IS enough, but more is always more fun!

I dropped the carbon fiber stuff off at the printers today to see if they can do a quick test with how to print to it, hope to hear back either tomorrow or Monday.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm first thing I wonder when I see manipulator arm is what are you wanting to pick up or carry? Other than kinda wonder if Krall is building a prototype for NASA's next Mars mission! Wow from just wanting a camera mounted in your summit to a full blown
    Remote RV for NASA hmm or Military.
    Oh and when he first started said it would be simple so anyone would be able to do it, but who has 3G's laying around to put into RV.
    Still
    Last edited by Edstoys; 08-17-2012 at 01:19 AM.

RC Champion
    The manipulator arm is more of a, "if needed" rather than "main focus" but I have to put a lot of attention in to it, I don't want a basic arm, too simple imho.

As for 3g's... to do this all you need is:

OSD: $35 (I picked the $200 one)
    Two Radios: $50 (I picked $100 ones, and ordered two more for the crane)
    Basic DVR + Screen: $65 (I picked $180 one + $200 screen)
    Video TX/RX: $35 (I picked $140 one)
    Camera(s): $30 each (I got two of those, and a $300 go pro)
    Then the car of course.

Pretty cheap! HOWEVER I ALSO....... picked up $250 worth of switches and buttons and connectors. Included my $100 EZ Peak Plus charger... got a video splitter, sound system, night vision, GoPro, etc.. so *MY build is very expensive, but to make an FPV with the basics, no problem doing it for under $225!

RC Qualifier
    lol holy crap, this is getting really intense krall, how are you rockin the night vision?
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    The manipulator arm is still kinda scaring me because I'm afraid what will HAPPEN is this:

Turn it on, and ALL The servos zero themselves. Suddenly the entire arm rotates in every direction, AT ONCE. Servos don't like being, "out of bounds" and when the arm rests - when it's off - and I apply power to it, I think they will all go FULL rotation until they find ZERO. And what's unfortunate is, I can't try this until I shell out the money for the servos.

Either way, the night vision is from these IR leds:

Left one is top, right one is bottom view. There is a photo sensor there as well that will prevent them from being on during the day. If I turn night vision on and it's dark, they will light up, but if I then drive in to the day light, they will automatically turn off. They are being controlled via one of the rc-lights receiver switches.
    Last edited by krallopian; 08-17-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Info

RC Champion
    I've just FINALLY sourced a proper/affordable camera pan and tilt joystick!!

This is perfect, I was really worried about how I was going to securely mount my playstation'esque joystick to the panel! THAT joystick in the picture above, IS panel mount. It's the CORRECT way to do this, I've been looking everywhere and they were all $140+ and shipped from China/Japan or something far away. This one is costing me just over $20!

Depending on how it works out, I might order a couple 3 or 4 function joysticks for the manipulator arm. Left Right/Up Down/Twist LeftRight and a button.

So for instance, to move the base part up, I'd pull the joystick backwards, the push it down, I'd push the joystick forwards, to rotate it left or right, I would push left or right, and then to rotate the actual grabber... I could twist the joystick left or right, and then to operate it, I could press the button! Then another joystick for the second arm and third arm, only they would be up and down, or up and down (no side to side on them) Hope this isn't too confusing. POINT IS, I've finally found what I was looking for for the past few months, and it's on it's way up here from Kansas.

Like a bank, you only need it Sunday night.. where in this case, I've ordered but on Friday afternoon Probably won't see these items until August 27th. I also ordered some header pins, ABS plastic sheets and a ball bearing platform for the manipulator arm to mount to.

Last edited by krallopian; 08-17-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Spaghetti and meat balls

RC Qualifier
    A lot better for control the camera.
    Nice!!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Nice find man, glad to see it too.. if anyone wants to do this, it's all here

I want to pretty bad but I'll have to see how it goes in the next 2 1/2 months
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    SO on August 14th I ordered from *********, and it STILL hasn't shipped my remotes or battery. "Processing..." EVERYONE online has said, "yeah takes a month" so I ordered from "In Stock: USA Warehouse" apparently paying an additional $35 doesn't make a DIFFERENCE at all. Very annoyed. I also ordered from Servocity, THEY still haven't shipped. What the heck is going on here.... since WHEN do people take your money for an order and simply NOT ship anything!?

To be fair with servocity I ordered and waited 4 days, and said, "Uh.. hello??? Have you shipped yet? If not I want to add this to the order" and that has been the last 2 days and still no shipping. I mean I'm used to getting stuff OVER NIGHT from the states for $8 from digikey.. waiting 5-10 days before it's even SHIPPED to then wait an additional 10-15 days, this is driving ME and the guys who I've asked to do the laser cutting insane!

I had to rant somewhere, facebook doesn't cut it! Hah.