RC Enthusiast

Dewalt motor question/advice?

Hey guys, if any help or advice would be appreciated. So I just ordered a set of mudslingers for my summit and pumped. Was wondering if should put in a dewalt 14.4? Not looking for speed just power when needed for the new shoes, and would like to use second gear on the trails, not racing but trail driving. Is the kit from Kershaw any good? And also what size pinion should I be running with this setup, or atleast for now with 775 and slingers? Learning a ton from you guys, thanks for reading.

RC Qualifier
    I have a DeWalt motor, not sure if it's 14v or 18v variety. The guy, who knows his stuff, was prepping it for the Summit I bought from him. I will take a look at the pinion he had placed on it, as I'm sure it was what he used in another one of his upgraded Summits.

As for the stock motor, seems to have insane power to me, I don't know if I will upgrade it or not before it dies.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

The Dewalt is a little beefier.it can stand more abuse than the 775.Its not really faster but has lots of torque.It can be geared a little more aggressively to get you a bit more speed.
    I ran 12p 68s.
    I also ran 12p 65s.that is basically stock ratio but allows the motor to rotate further into the middle and sit a little lower.the weight a bit lower and more in the center seemed to help.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys for that info, Im thinking I will run my stock 775 with my new slingers and SA1230 and just use it till she wears out and then make the switch to the dewalt. I was just anxious reading some posts on the stock motor frying due to the heavy/big shoes. I just want to be able to use second gear now and then with no worries (cruise speed) So jamann you recommend those pinion and spur setups?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-08-2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Rules

RC Qualifier
    Hey not trying to steal the spotlight from you but what do you all suggest as for a new motor I recently had the dewalt and love it it went up after about a year and now needs replacing I forgot what one it was so which volt do you suggest as being the best I'm also running mudslingers and mine are waterlogged.

with the dewalt you can just replace the brushes so you dont have to buy a whole new motor...

RC Qualifier
    Ok awesome however I think the motor may be fried so id rather just get a new motor plus I would like one a little better which volt should I get?

RC Qualifier
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no better brushed motor than the DeWalt upgrade for this setup. If you want more power, you are looking at a large sensored setup. Something like a Mamba Monster X or a Tekin RX8 with a 2200kv (or lower) motor. Big money.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

The 14.4 is the best balance
    The 18v would do better on 5 or 6s esc can't handle that.
    The 12v will run fairly hot in a heavy truck like this

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrockett View Post
    Thanks guys for that info, Im thinking I will run my stock 775 with my new slingers and SA1230 and just use it till she wears out and then make the switch to the dewalt. I was just anxious reading some posts on the stock motor frying due to the heavy/big shoes. I just want to be able to use second gear now and then with no worries (cruise speed) So jamann you recommend those pinion and spur setups?
    I ran 12 68 with the slingers they are heavy

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I talked to Kershaw and they recommend a 18t pinion with my stock Summit running 2s lipos. Any imout on this?

RC Qualifier
    The reason Dan recommends the 18t pinion is because he thinks it close to the stock speed. I think its more like the 16t pinion to get you close to stock. I have run every pinion from 11t to 21t with the Dewalt. The Dewalt has way more low end torque than the Titan. Here is my advice, any tooth higher than 17t you really need to watch for heat on the Dewalt. If you get up in the 20t range its really bad. The thing is the Summit is an excellent crawler/basher. The 11t & 12t are great for serious crawling ok for bashing. the 13t - 16t are good for crawling and better for bashing. Kershaw sells pinions so buy a variety and see what fits you. Just remember anything above 17t then its time to redo your budget and start putting money away for repairs and upgrades. I would really recommend a brushless system if your trying to get serious speed, IMO the Dewalt is not designed for that. But then again neither is the Summit. Want serious speed get an Erevo or Emaxx.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Racer
    Thanks for that info and recommendations, I dont really do alot of crawling with the Summit, so I was just wanting to gain a "Little" in the speed department . And, I dont use the truck enough to justify the expence of going brush less. I think I will get the Kershaw, and pinions from 16-19, and get the cooling fans for the motor. That should keep me happy for a bit.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcessive Carts View Post
    Thanks for that info and recommendations, I dont really do alot of crawling with the Summit, so I was just wanting to gain a "Little" in the speed department . And, I dont use the truck enough to justify the expence of going brush less. I think I will get the Kershaw, and pinions from 16-19, and get the cooling fans for the motor. That should keep me happy for a bit.
    Just keep an eye on the temps of the motor even with the fan. I have a number of these motors and they all have performed very well, except the one with a 20t pinion that I destroyed by melting it. My stupidity all the way, no fault of the motor. Have fun.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"