RC Qualifier

SPC 8200's? Great upgrade?

Hi all, would SPC 8200 packs be a good upgrade for a traxxas summit and give me lots of run-time? Already adding the castle cc 10amp bec, I was using a separate 6v 5amp bec, is it the amperage the servo needs? Or should I get some factory spec 9400's?

Thanks,
    Spence
    Last edited by Spencer911; 01-14-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Castle 10 amp will work fine.
    8200 spc are a exellent battery choice
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Castle 10 amp will work fine.
    8200 spc are a exellent battery choice
    ^ This. I love my SPC 8200's. I have had over 6 of them, the two oldest being 4 years old and still going strong.
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTetonXMaxx

RC Qualifier
    Thanks how long would run time be, bashing and crawling around?

On mine, with a Castle Mamba Monster 2 in it, runs for about 45 min of jumping and bashing, and roughly an hour if I'm being gentle on it.
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTetonXMaxx

RC Qualifier
    Thanks I am running a dewalt 14.4v motor, its kinda like some different dewalt 14.4v, it has ball bearings front and rear Most dewalts either are dual bushing, or one in the rear of the endbell
    and a huge set of brushes, its good tho

so now I will consider purchasing the SPC 8200's 45mins+ of run time sound perfect for any amount of crawling or what not I would even ever want to do, and an hour in low gear
    and a castle 10amp cc bec
    Last edited by Spencer911; 01-14-2016 at 09:01 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    My daughter has a stock summit. I got 58 minutes out of the 8200's the first time I tested them, running hard.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer911 View Post
    Thanks I am running a dewalt 14.4v motor, its kinda like some different dewalt 14.4v, it has ball bearings front and rear Most dewalts either are dual bushing, or one in the rear of the endbell
    and a huge set of brushes, its good tho

so now I will consider purchasing the SPC 8200's 45mins+ of run time sound perfect for any amount of crawling or what not I would even ever want to do, and an hour in low gear
    and a castle 10amp cc bec
    How do you like that motor? What spur/pinion combo are you running?

RC Qualifier
    I can link you to it, I am pretty sure its the same motor you would receive it seems like this guy may be in the drill salvage business, it is "lightly used" http://www.ebay.com/itm/251550308287...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think its ok, I am running a 17t pinion, stock is 14t, it still is kinda slow, a little slower than stock, but still pretty fast, and plenty of wheel speed, but will last a lot longer and has more torque... The 775 is no offense IMO an expensive throwaway, when my titan 775 died, I didn't op to replace it with another.. I am running the stock spur, can't off the top of my head remember the tooth count, I bought two pinions, a 20t, and the 17t, the 20t ran a little too hot, just like the 775 titan, the titan 775 stock got hot enough to burn skin after each run on stock gearing... This motor is a compromise, I feel maybe its as good as a 14.4v motor, well it is a 14.4v, but idk if its performance is different than that of the KD designs 820 dewalt... Aswell, I needed to make shims, I used washers, and it also involved modding the motor mount, I used the stock screws..

This truck isn't all about power or speed, although brushless is fun, brushed keeps the damage down, and the price down, not everybody can afford to drop $150+ on a brushless system for this massive 1/8 scale

It has a 5mm shaft, and you need to slice the pinion off with a dremel, or get a nut splitter... Cool man, I think the 8200 spcs are good, will be great for the snowy adventures this winter with my traxxas summit The reason btw I cheaped out on the motor was because I saw dewalt 14.4v's going for in excess of $40, and there is a dual ball bearing mod for those dewalts that may be noisy with the endbell bushing being worn if need be
    Last edited by Spencer911; 01-14-2016 at 10:22 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info. Think it's almost ready for an upgrade..

RC Qualifier

SPC 8200's? Great upgrade?

Cool, still waiting on Savox to reply I just wished Savox would sell gear sets like Hi-Tec does, 1st gear spares, and full gearsets, I even partially mentioned that in my message about hitec, yes I am sure they received the enquiry, and they said they would respond in a timely manner... Servo is not broken, I just want spare 1st gears, the hitech equivalent of the 1230 is over $140(7950)

Now the tough choice of saving up for a dirtbike top end or getting some SPC 8200's
    Last edited by Spencer911; 01-14-2016 at 10:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Also, about the SPC 8200's, I was looking at the size dimensions, they are smaller than the SPC 5000mah 50c packs I have, just slighly taller, how are they 3200mah's more? I am confused

RC Racer
    This is because the SPC 8200mah Lipo is soft case, not hardcase. This just refers to the "shell" surrounding the Lipo cells themselves. Hardcase Lipo's give more protection to the cells, but take up more space. Soft case gives little to no protection to the cell, but they take up a lot less space, allowing you to fit a battery with greater specs in a tighter space

RC Qualifier
    I partially understand that, but maybe the whole size of the case(all combined) of the 2s 5000, and also the addition that its taller, probs accounts for the 3200mah's, due to the cells being much fatter and taller, basically more lipo cell in a thin package with the soft case lipos, its not likely they will get punctured as the summit has pretty secure batt compartments. in difference between the 8200 soft case, and 5000mah 2s hard case... Next upgrade say hello to long adventures once I get the cash for the SPC 8200's, the 5000mah packs still give me a modest 20ish mins of run time

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Spencer, have you looked at the SMC Lipos? I got the 2s 9000mAh ones. Just one pair to test but so far they have given me around an hour of runtime with fpv gear and lights. Using the soft case Lipos as the battery bay is strong enough to protect them. One thing is if you get soft packs, just seal the end where the cables come out with silicone sealant or I just used liquid e tape. Keeps water from getting in. It just tested that too at the beach.