RC Competitor

driveshaft rubbing

What would cause this? It is not close enough to anything to really rub on.

RC Champion
    Either small rocks / debris hitting the shaft, or the motor being too close to the shaft. Rocks could rest between the motor and shaft. Or, a small pinion could put the motor too close.

Those abrasions are normal though. Don't worry about them if they're not deep on the shaft.

RC Competitor
    Its just weird because we run two in the same spots all the time and mine doesnt have any marks but this one does. I'm not that worried about it unless it gets deep just thought it was weird.

RC Competitor
    @ponie1992 added some mesh to the cooling duct that I think could help keep the rocks out (click here for his thread)

RC Champion
    Yeah the mesh helps a good bit but these cars are vacuums. Small rocks are what's causing the rubbing on the shaft. Mine looks worse. Also when the tires get sticky they pick up a ton of rocks and sand. Only place to go is inside the car.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Competitor
    Yeah I noticed mine is a pebble magnet.

Whenever my friends and I set up for an afternoon of parking lot bashing we would take the first 20 - 30 minutes and walk our selected driving area with gas leaf blowers. Makes a huuuuge difference in the wear 'n tear your car will experience when you're not hitting pebbles at high speed.

RC Champion
    ^^^ Nice, just like we do for full size Auto X