RC Enthusiast

Lipo capacity question

I have 2 gens ace 5300-7.4-30c batteries. When I charge both of these batteries, I almost never see more than 4950 mah get charged back into them. Both cells reach their 4.2v capacity, on both battieries, but never max out the mah. I normally balance charge my batteries each time out instead of just charge mode. The charger I use is a v6ac, 5.0amp max charge rate.

I have a friend with the exact same batteries, bought from the same lhs, but he uses a traxxas charger and he constantly gets 5300mah charge cycles.

Could my batteries by slowly dying, even though they are only 3 months old with about 15 cycles max through them? Could my charger be calibrated wrong from the factory?

Any thoughts would be of great help.

RC Qualifier
    Do you both have the same ESC? The LVC can be changed on aftermarket ESCs which would allow more of the mah to drain. Have you tried charging your batteries on his charger? I never liked 50W chargers for these batteries because they realistically have a hard time charging at 5A. Not saying that is the issue, but it is possible. I believe the Traxxas charger is 80W/6A.
    Last edited by Slaughter33; 04-27-2012 at 09:39 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I have the stock velenion esc and motor, and he is running a sidewinder system. My esc normally cuts out at around 3.55v give or take. Shouldn't a charger with less w/a only take a longer time frame to charge a battery, and not actually stuggle to top it off?

I haven't tried to use his charger, but that might be my next step.

RC Qualifier
    The sidewinder defaults to 3.2 if I am not mistaken. His battery will drain more completely than yours with a 3.55 cut-off. 3.2 is what I have my MMP set to and it drains my battery completely. My charger puts back 5100 into a 5000 mah battery. You are correct that your charger should just take longer, but charging at 5A with a 50W charger is pushing it every time you charge. I was just mentioning it as something to watch out for.
    Last edited by Slaughter33; 04-27-2012 at 10:13 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    thanks for the advice, do you feel it would be better to charge at 4.0 amps just so the charger isn't at maximum strain?

These questions really need to be directed to the manufacturer or vender who you bought the batteries from. Traxxas does not allow this type of tech support for other companies products on this forum.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power