Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    RC World
    Posts
    330

    Best battery charger.

    I know this has been asked before (even by me) but I want to find a good battery charger... I have 2 11.1 volts and 3 7.4 volts. I am thinking about getting rid of all my batteries except the Traxxas ones as they go in my rally. That is a different story. So what is a good charger. Oh.. The batteries are all lipos.


    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,215
    Well the onyx 245 by duratrax looks nice. I don't have any experience with it but Thats the one I would buy.
    It charges two batteries at a time no matter what kind they are. I THINK you can even charge your two 3s batteries at the same time.
    It looks pretty nice. Its around $120.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. O.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South of St Louis
    Posts
    6,101
    bigsquidrc has a battery charger shootout that is worth reading - and a lot of other RC reviews you might like. I have a venom that's several years old that I like - at 5.0 amps the charge rate is a little slow compared to newer more powerful ones.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36
    I just bought the ONYX 235, let you know how it works. It was 89.99

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    330
    I have the Onyx 245. It works fine when the LiPos are hooked up to the balancer. Charges at 0.10 amps when the balancer is not hooked up. No errors, just no charge either. Called Duratrax and they confirmed that it is supposed to charge LiPos at the selected rate even when not connected to the balancer but provided no other help other than to send it in.

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central KS
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRCMan View Post
    I know this has been asked before (even by me) but I want to find a good battery charger... I have 2 11.1 volts and 3 7.4 volts. I am thinking about getting rid of all my batteries except the Traxxas ones as they go in my rally. That is a different story. So what is a good charger. Oh.. The batteries are all lipos.
    I use the iCharger 206B, which can charge up to 4 batteries at once at 5A each or 2 batteries at 10A each. It has a separate power supply. http://www.progressiverc.com/the-ticket-350w-combo.html

    The advantage you would have for your set up is you could charge both 3S LiPos at once and then switch and charge all three 2S LiPos at once. Also, the customer support is very good at ProgressiveRC.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    625
    The Traxxas 6 amp blows any of the '5 amp' chargers out of the water because it has a 80w PSU so it will actually CHARGE your 3s battery at 6 amps rather than 4 or less. Well yes it's a 6 amp and not a 5 amp, but most of those other chargers like the Thunder AC6 and similar, as well as many of the slightly more expensive ones, only have a 50w PSU so they won't even do a 8.4v nimh at 5 amps let alone a 3s. The Traxxas one can be had for mid 80's on ebay shipped.

    If you can spend $130 than get either the Hyperion 720i net ac/dc or the Passport Ultra. Both are 8-10 amp, have bigger PSU's and even higher rates than the internal PSU if you use an external source.

    If you can spend $180 get this package from ProgressiveRC. A solid 20 amps, internal resistance checking, motor break in, etc. This is like...the entry level of TOP level charging setups, and will allow you to charge up to 6 like batteries if you drop another $20 on a parallel charge board. Immagine charging all 3 of your 2s (assuming they're 5000mah) in about 45 min from empty.
    P2de VXL - Summit

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36
    i'm glad i didn't go with the thunder ac6 for that 50w reason.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pomona CA.
    Posts
    327
    My onyx 235 (one at a time charger) works good for 88 dollars and can charge up to 7 amps and the ability to charge nihms to 130% of its capacity,charging my 7 cell 3000 mah to 3900 mah. I dont know if thats good or bad , just that its recommended on the owners manual. Difference fro the Onyx 245 is one more battery on the 245.
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,225
    There are really 4 levels of chargers IMO.
    There are the cheap "off brand" AC/DC models like the Thunder AC6 and Accucel 6... they are all very similar and generally cost are $50 or so. They all have almost identical specs at 5 amps max and a 50 watt power supply.

    Then you move up to the slightly higher quality 5-6 amp AC/DC setups like the Venom Pro, Traxxas and numerous other similar setups. Generally speaking they will have better warranties and will have better reputations for quality but have similar specs at 5 amps and 50watt PSU's for around $100 or so. The exception to this is the Traxxas charger that has 6 amp charge rate and an 80 watt PSU which makes it the absolute best choice in this price range.

    Then you get into the higher end AC/DC setups like the Hyperion 720, Dynamite Passport or Thunder Power TP610C. They all have between 8 and 10 amp charge rates and 80-100 watt PSUs. In general they have excellent warranties, stellar reputations for quality and are known to charge and balance packs very very accurately and very fast. They will all cost in the $130 range give or take a bit. THIS is IMO the charger class you should start with. Easy to use, fast, reliable, high quality and well proven without breaking the bank.

    Finally you get into the HIGH end DC only systems like the iCharger 206 and 306's, Hyperions, Power Labs 6 and 8 and others that offer 10-40amp charge rates and provide the absolute BEST in power handling and balancing. They also often times offer advanced computer monitoring and control software. These systems require separate power supplies and cost between $175-350 WITHOUT the power supply included. This is the type of system you step UP to when your ready to buy the BEST. Be prepared to spend $250-350 WITH an adequate PSU for one of these models. Sometimes less if you can find cheaper power supplies like a converted server setup.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    RC World
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    There are really 4 levels of chargers IMO.
    There are the cheap "off brand" AC/DC models like the Thunder AC6 and Accucel 6... they are all very similar and generally cost are $50 or so. They all have almost identical specs at 5 amps max and a 50 watt power supply.

    Then you move up to the slightly higher quality 5-6 amp AC/DC setups like the Venom Pro, Traxxas and numerous other similar setups. Generally speaking they will have better warranties and will have better reputations for quality but have similar specs at 5 amps and 50watt PSU's for around $100 or so. The exception to this is the Traxxas charger that has 6 amp charge rate and an 80 watt PSU which makes it the absolute best choice in this price range.

    Then you get into the higher end AC/DC setups like the Hyperion 720, Dynamite Passport or Thunder Power TP610C. They all have between 8 and 10 amp charge rates and 80-100 watt PSUs. In general they have excellent warranties, stellar reputations for quality and are known to charge and balance packs very very accurately and very fast. They will all cost in the $130 range give or take a bit. THIS is IMO the charger class you should start with. Easy to use, fast, reliable, high quality and well proven without breaking the bank.

    Finally you get into the HIGH end DC only systems like the iCharger 206 and 306's, Hyperions, Power Labs 6 and 8 and others that offer 10-40amp charge rates and provide the absolute BEST in power handling and balancing. They also often times offer advanced computer monitoring and control software. These systems require separate power supplies and cost between $175-350 WITHOUT the power supply included. This is the type of system you step UP to when your ready to buy the BEST. Be prepared to spend $250-350 WITH an adequate PSU for one of these models. Sometimes less if you can find cheaper power supplies like a converted server setup.
    WOW! Thanks pav! All this info is very helpful! Thanks guys! The guy at my LHS said the best dual charger was the Onyx 245. So, I don't know what to do... We will see soon! Does anyone have an idea for good batteries? I like SPC because of their price but I want to know other ones... THANKS!
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,088
    Then Thunder Power T610c is probably the best charger for 89bucks. 80watts and 10amp charge rate. http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/TP610C.html Been using this for 4years now and it's hard to part with it. Still a awesome charger and very easy to use.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post
    The Traxxas 6 amp blows any of the '5 amp' chargers out of the water because it has a 80w PSU so it will actually CHARGE your 3s battery at 6 amps rather than 4 or less. Well yes it's a 6 amp and not a 5 amp, but most of those other chargers like the Thunder AC6 and similar, as well as many of the slightly more expensive ones, only have a 50w PSU so they won't even do a 8.4v nimh at 5 amps let alone a 3s. The Traxxas one can be had for mid 80's on ebay shipped.

    If you can spend $130 than get either the Hyperion 720i net ac/dc or the Passport Ultra. Both are 8-10 amp, have bigger PSU's and even higher rates than the internal PSU if you use an external source.

    If you can spend $180 get this package from ProgressiveRC. A solid 20 amps, internal resistance checking, motor break in, etc. This is like...the entry level of TOP level charging setups, and will allow you to charge up to 6 like batteries if you drop another $20 on a parallel charge board. Immagine charging all 3 of your 2s (assuming they're 5000mah) in about 45 min from empty.
    $179 bucks!!!!???! That's pricy imo. It's better to by thishttp://www.ebay.com/itm/140700184449...84.m1439.l2649 and get a charger of your choice.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 04-27-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •