RC Enthusiast

Skate Park Jumping / Bashing Parts List & Setup Help Needed

I have a 1/16 Grave Digger that I bash at a local skate park. That is all I do with it - I don't race it, don't off-road at all - I simply launch this thing off ramps getting massive air over long distances and land on pavement (ouch). I upgraded the ESC / motor to the VXL setup and I have a 2s LiPo. I'm keeping it 2WD since I mainly just jump this thing and have no need for 4wd or the extra broken parts lol.

The history:
    fried servo - replaced with HiTec metal gear servo
    snapped chassis / rear bulkhead - replaced with stock parts
    snapped front A-arm - getting RPM arms front / rear

Strengthening Mods:
    Driven Productions front / rear chassis braces
    T-Bone racing 1 pc skidplate (not sure if the bumpers will work / look good on GD - will test at LHS)
    I'm getting thicker shock oil (any weight recommendations?) and stronger springs (any recommendations?)

The tires are currently NOT glued and have no foam. I'm thinking foam would help absorb some impact, but I have no idea what to get. I think something not too stiff would be best - any thoughts on that?

What about steel hollow balls? I've read they are an excellent upgrade, would it be worth the trouble in a truck made just for jumping?

What else should I do before launching this thing off ramps again?

Is there anything I'm missing that's crucial to keeping this thing alive on its trips to space and back?
    Last edited by ab420; 04-23-2012 at 07:30 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Go for some buggy 2.2 tires and rims. Dirt dawgs would actually work pretty good lot more cushion than stock. Hollow balls are a good up grade but you might be better off with the slop. Absorbs the impact better. Sooner or later move up to better shocks. I run big bore exotec nice and heavy duty.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would make it all wheel drive so you can do some killer back flips off the jump. Up in the mountains we have these jumps and a nice back flip looks and feels good! Will probably need some better axle carriers too. I have the blue golden horizons. I would stick with the stock toe links and push rods you will some flex

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Go for some buggy 2.2 tires and rims. Dirt dawgs would actually work pretty good lot more cushion than stock.
    I actually like the Monster Jam replica wheel / tire combo. The style is right-on for a Grave Digger, and the tires are huge. For racing, obviously this would not be ideal at all, but for jumping at the skate park, I think the tall tires just give me more room to slow down the truck and minimize impact - if I can find the right foam for them.

Hollow balls are a good up grade but you might be better off with the slop. Absorbs the impact better.
    That's kind of what I was thinking - thanks for validating my theory!

Sooner or later move up to better shocks. I run big bore exotec nice and heavy duty.
    Are those shocks compatible with the Driven Productions chassis braces? I think those will be pretty important since I already snapped the chassis and rear bulkhead once. If they will not work with it, any other recommendations? I got some 70 weight shock oil to give that a try, and I'm going to get some stiffer springs as well - should I still look into better shocks as well?

I would make it all wheel drive so you can do some killer back flips off the jump. Up in the mountains we have these jumps and a nice back flip looks and feels good!
    Forgive my ignorance, but all wheel drive helps do back flips? I didn't realize that...

Will probably need some better axle carriers too. I have the blue golden horizons.
    I've been looking into that and I've gotten some mixed opinions - how do you like them?

I would stick with the stock toe links and push rods you will some flex
    I've heard that as well.

Thanks for the help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Don't think the chassis brace will fit. Did you break it with the t bone setup? Yep the spinning action of the wheels will make it backflip just keep the throttle on in the air just make sure you let off and time it to land on all fours

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The gh carriers work and look great. Ghost and gpm are the most popular

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you broke it with the t bone keep the brace and go for the Traxxas gtr shocks

RC Enthusiast
    Don't think the chassis brace will fit. Did you break it with the t bone setup?
    No, I broke it and then got the chassis brace, since I snapped it right where the brace goes - I figured that would be a big help. Got the front one as well to be safe, plus the T-bone skid plate.

Yep the spinning action of the wheels will make it backflip just keep the throttle on in the air just make sure you let off and time it to land on all fours
    Makes sense - I think I'll keep it 2wd for now and keep breaking / fixing things until I have it pretty bullet proof. Then if I get bored, I'll still have that option.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds good. Make some videos!

RC Racer
    you could try a steel exo-skelton to protect you vital power parts, and a servo saver

RC Enthusiast
    Got it all put back together... but now I have some sort of "clicking" noise coming from the center of the truck... any ideas on where to look? Sounds like something in the transmission area.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Double check your slipper clutch. Tighten fully then back off about 1/2 to 3/4 turn

RC Enthusiast
    I adjusted the slipper clutch, and it's still making a horrible noise in there... that really stinks because I just installed the T-Bone racing skid plate, so now I'll have to pull that back off to get in there and see what the problem is.

This truck did well early on... but my bashing caught up to it. In the past few weeks, I have about 10 minutes of run time and a few hours of building into it... can't wait to get this thing working again!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Alright... I tore it all apart - nothing looked broken, chipped, worn, cracked or anything else that requires new parts (phew!)

All I did was grease the transmission and put it back together carefully, and its running smoother than day 1.

Now... to go break some more stuff at the skate park!

RC Qualifier
    sorry for the late post but your tires aren't glued?! Don't your wheels just spin inside the tire?!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dennerracingteamdrt

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by latemodelstampede View Post
    sorry for the late post but your tires aren't glued?! Don't your wheels just spin inside the tire?!
    Thats what I was thinking?

RC Qualifier
    I would avoid greasing the transmission. The grease is going to act like a dirt trap and may eventually force a gear to crack due to built up dirt.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraWasHere View Post
    I would avoid greasing the transmission. The grease is going to act like a dirt trap and may eventually force a gear to crack due to built up dirt.
    I've been oiling mine with a little 10k diff fluid since, well, as long as I've had the truck, and there's never even a hint of dirt inside the transmission every time I open it to inspect it. the oil really helps it run a lot smoother and more quiet

I have however managed to shear a STEEL center gear into 3 pieces out of pure big block torque odly enough, a new stock plastic replacement gear has been holding up better than the steel one did

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-06-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by latemodelstampede View Post
    Surprisingly... they really don't much at all. Keep in mind - this is a 1/16 Grave Digger, not e revo. It has the big monster truck tires. I do plan to glue them, I'm just shopping for the right foams now.