RC Qualifier

single servo set up

i was at my lhs and was just talking to a man there and he said that he would recomend that i switch to a single steering servo than the dual.can i get any advice on this and if you think its really worth the money.if it is what parts do i need? i really only bash no racing at all.

RC Champion
    Depending what servo you are going to use you may just need a servo horn. Hitec for example you will need a different servo horn.

RC Qualifier
    ok i am new to this he said to use a spectrum and golden horizon servo horn and put the heavy duty spring in it what you happen to know part numbers of what i need? is it a good idea? he said that i would like it Alot better with that single servo

RC poster
    I dont mean to take over your thread, but why do people go with a single servo rather than two, what benefits are there?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hynes57 View Post
    I dont mean to take over your thread, but why do people go with a single servo rather than two, what benefits are there?
    When you run two servos, they have a tendency to fight each other when slightly off center.
    ERBE, Summit, Thunder Tiger MT4

Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    & more torque.
    This is one of those nonsense posts.... people convert to single servo for MORE torque? How do you figure? Wouldn't simply isntalling 2 of whatever single servo you were going to do give even more torque? You gotta keep it apples and apples when trying to compare.

I'd believe more efficiency, more speed.... but not more torque.

(I'm a single servo convert)

RC Champion
    Torque will still be limited to the servo saver spring rating. Upgrading to (a) metal geared servo(s) is another bonus for swapping.

RC Qualifier
    i was told by the man at my lhs that races that i'll love it and that it will turn on a dime he races and highly recomends even for bashing to change to a single servo

RC Qualifier
    It was the first thing I changed 20 min out of the box.Definitely not a waste of money !
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Qualifier
    well thank you all for the input.i've bought all the peices i need to change it over just waiting on the GH arms to come in the mail hope it works as well as he says brewers74 what parts did you use? i bought a spektrum s6030 servo a GH single arm and a servo saver arm

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The truth about the whole thing is that the 2075 servos are not overly powerful or overly fast. They have plastic gears and are known to strip and burn out. A dual servo setup also requires more work as they need to constantly be adjusted so they don't fight against each other.

A single servo is simpler, more efficient, smoother, easier to maintain and requires less wiring. These are just the benefits for ANY single servo BUT...

You can get a single servo that outputs nearly 4X the power of a 2075 and has a transit time of less than half. For instance, my Futaba S9157 outputs 425oz torque at 6volts. It has a transit time of .14. This servo requires NO additional modifications or extra parts. even the stock servo horn that comes with your truck will bolt right on and its WAY faster than the stock servo. It has all metal gears as well so its way stronger than both the stock servos.

In my E-Revo I have a Hitec HS-7955TH. It has titanium gears, outputs 333oz of torque at 6 volts and has a transit time of .15. This servo has MORE than enough power to whip the wheels around without blinking and all it requires for installation is a servo horn that fits the Hitec spline.

Basically, a single servo CAN have WAY more torque than the dual servos. YES... if you put in two high torque servos you could have even more. But what 86GN said is absolutely true. Adding a single servo is a great way to up the torque without overloading the BEC and causing brown out... something dual high torque servos are far more likely to do.

RC poster
    Well sounds like the single servo is the way to go!

Never really had any issues with my erevo servos, but my stampede is brutal, its really slow. going to upgrade that one i think

Or, upgrade to a single servo in your ERBE and put one of the ERBE servos in the stampede.

RC Qualifier
    Is there many high torque waterproof servos? I know that waterproofing can be done, but I would rather not have to.

Im pretty sure hitec now makes a couple waterproof servos. They aren't very common though and I assume its because they are pricey for their specs or not in stock anywhere. The one that would work in the E-Revo is the 5646WP... you'd need 2 of them though as they only have 157oz of torque each.

Still, its an option over the 2075 but not really a HUGE upgrade.

RC Qualifier
    Since many people either are or are planning to run brushless with LiPo batteries, we might look for LiPo-ready servos - those which are designed to run on the extra voltage pumped out by LiPos. The jump from 7.2 to 7.4 might not sound significant, but Hitec and a few others have shown it can be valuable.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd1090 View Post
    well thank you all for the input.i've bought all the peices i need to change it over just waiting on the GH arms to come in the mail hope it works as well as he says brewers74 what parts did you use? i bought a spektrum s6030 servo a GH single arm and a servo saver arm
    I have exactly what you listed except the servo I ended up using a hitech 333oz.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_cat1 View Post
    Since many people either are or are planning to run brushless with LiPo batteries, we might look for LiPo-ready servos - those which are designed to run on the extra voltage pumped out by LiPos. The jump from 7.2 to 7.4 might not sound significant, but Hitec and a few others have shown it can be valuable.
    The servo is powered by the ESC's BEC... not by the actual voltage of the batteries. If you were to run an external BEC you could certainly run it at 7.2 or 7.4 volts. But if you plan to power your servo via the ESC's built in BEC, most are set at 5 or 6 volts.

RC Champion

Question

Most lipos we use are rated at 4.2 a cell. That would put lipo direct power from a 3 cell at 4.2, 8.4 or 12.6v. I wouldn't know how to get 7.2 or 7.4v straight from a charged lipo?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    The servo is powered by the ESC's BEC... not by the actual voltage of the batteries. If you were to run an external BEC you could certainly run it at 7.2 or 7.4 volts. But if you plan to power your servo via the ESC's built in BEC, most are set at 5 or 6 volts.
    Ahhh but Castle came to our rescue on this one, the MMM now has adjustable BEC.... (assuming you have one of the more recent versions)

I'm running 7.0 volts on the BEC now.

They bumped them up to 7 volts... thats sweet. I didnt know that. Makes me want to buy a new MMM instead of a used one.

Hummm that is new, to me anyways. Wonder when that came about...
    UPGRADE..........

RC Qualifier
    if im correct mine is 378oz still waiting for the parts from tower to show up

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Ahhh but Castle came to our rescue on this one, the MMM now has adjustable BEC.... (assuming you have one of the more recent versions)

I'm running 7.0 volts on the BEC now.
    I noticed other day it gave me the option to raise this to 7,when I chose 7 it gave me a warning to make sure or confirm that I was using a servo that could handle the volts

after some homework & research..

The ESC is still the V3, & software 1.32. The ESC has to be the F360C to be able to adjust the BEC. The F310 does not have this option. I have the 360C did the updates but still didn't see the BEC option. Need to play with it again....

RC Qualifier
    any pics on how to put together the sinle servo set up so i know how to put this together i have a single servo,ghh servo saver and a single steering arm.i have all my parts and gonna work on it this weekend ( the wife will be gone for the weekend YESSSSSS) lol just trying to get a pic in my mind

RC Qualifier
    Remove that long screw under it you will find the servo saver spring once you remove the skid plate,replace the plastic servo arm with the aluminum single arm you have just put it back together wasn't difficult. Probably one of the easiest things I've done to my truck.My screw stripped in this pic from removing it so many times I had to use a reverse drill bit to remove mine

RC Qualifier
    ok thank you so much i think i got this now

RC Qualifier
    are those mip axles i see?

RC Qualifier
    Yes mip all four corners and in the center

RC Qualifier
    nice i just got my mip center driveshafts alot better then the traxxas ones.whoops sorry guess i shouldnt say that on here but tis the truth.i'll be getting the four corners soon when i save up some.btw will my stock radio work my servo the way its suposed too?

RC Qualifier
    Only the servo you are changing the traxxas radio will work fine.

RC Qualifier
    thank you for the help its all in the truck now just need to go bash and test it out