Thread: Clutches?

RC Racer

Clutches?

When they start to go is it possible that is will squeel under power it does fine slightly playing around but when i put it under any real power it squeels not blood curdeling but its a low wine/squeel .......And i just put some 3.3 trenchers on my truck will this bigger tire put more of a strain on my clutch???

RC Qualifier
    it realy could be anything from your slipper to your clutch or your one way bearing inside the trans.
    Quote Originally Posted by e-revoPCB View Post
    When they start to go is it possible that is will squeel under power it does fine slightly playing around but when i put it under any real power it squeels not blood curdeling but its a low wine/squeel .......And i just put some 3.3 trenchers on my truck will this bigger tire put more of a strain on my clutch???

RC Champion
    squeling is generally from a glazed (overheated) cb. or the one way bearing as said above. now if the clutches are wore to where u only get 35% contact.. could be another possibility

RC Qualifier
    It will put more strain on you drivetrain running those. I would lower your gearing some, if it's the stock clutch I never really had them last all that long. Not sure the usage you have on your jato, I blew through two in a gallon and a half I like speed !
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by f0rb3s View Post
    squeling is generally from a glazed (overheated) cb. or the one way bearing as said above. now if the clutches are wore to where u only get 35% contact.. could be another possibility
    what are the signs of a glazed clutch bell

RC Qualifier
    Look at it. If it's a shiny blackish colour, it's glazed.

You should get a Buku clutch. Best investment.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mind_Reader7 View Post
    Look at it. If it's a shiny blackish colour, it's glazed.

You should get a Buku clutch. Best investment.
    I would have to remove hat to fully see the clutch bell ..but the part that is visable does look shiny blackish ....this means i need a new clutch clutchbell ???

RC poster
    It will put more strain on you drivetrain running those

RC Qualifier
    I would have to remove hat to fully see the clutch bell ..but the part that is visable does look shiny blackish ....this means i need a new clutch clutchbell ???
    No. Lightly sand the inside with some 400 grit sandpaper, then clean it with degreaser or dishwashing liquid/water or alcohol.

RC Racer
    if my clutch was going out or was out would it keep it from ideling it will idle with the wheels off the ground but when i put it on the ground it dies

RC Qualifier
    if my clutch was going out or was out would it keep it from ideling it will idle with the wheels off the ground but when i put it on the ground it dies
    What clutch are u using? if it's a stock clutch can be a worn out clutch spring.

RC Racer
    stocker........ is the only way to look at the clutch is to pull the motor ????

RC Qualifier
    Shouldn't need to pull the motor.

Loosen the 4 bolts that hold the engine in place, and slide the engine away from the transmissions. It should leave you enough room to take off the clutch bell.

If not, remove the spur gear (easier than pulling the engine).

RC Racer
    so just loosen then if i have to pull spur gotcha.....check the spring what will it look like if bad ...
    Last edited by e-revoPCB; 04-14-2012 at 11:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    If it's bad, it won't be tight around the clutch shoes, it will be loose, and coming off. It should be sitting in the groove of the clutch shoes nice and tight.

RC Racer
    is this any good For the money or should i just buy a buku replaement???...........http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Jato...item3f1646bb67

RC poster
    It will put more strain on you drivetrain running those

RC Qualifier
    My opinion from testing pretty much all the clutches is go with the buku. If you have your slipper adjusted properly it does not put any more strain on your gear box then any other clutch set up.
    is this any good For the money or should i just buy a buku replaement???...........http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Jato...item3f1646bb67

RC Qualifier
    Those ones aren't bad, but I killed mine pretty fast, and extremely hard to install.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, get the MIP clutch.

But the Buku is the best, and will last for ages, and then you can just order new shoes.

RC Racer
    , I had the exact same issue, it wants to remain engaged because the clutch shoes are broken, I'm buying a new clutch today.

If the clutch spring was stretched out or broken it would allow the clutch to engage at low speed... It will stall when you try to apply the brakes, the wheels will spin if lifted off the ground because the clutch is not being held back by the springs....

AS far as the O.P. I would just remove the CB and have a peek. I've seen bad bearings, a broken spring and a slipper do that exact noise....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??