Porting and Polishing / Ceramic Bearings on a 3.3?

Hey guys, I was looking around for ways to increase to power on a TRX 3.3 (I know they have ALOT of power but who says you can't have more?) and I read that you can "port and polish" the piston sleeve and it would give you better throttle response and more power. Will it add power or is it a waste of time? If it does work, does anyone know a SAFE and easy way to do this? I also read that putting in ceramic bearings in adds power. I have no idea what those are so could some one please tell me what is the beifits oh using these? Any help would be nice! Thanks! -Wolfslash16
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

RC Qualifier
    This page say how make the .15 more powerful.
    Maybe is the same with the 3.3.

http://www.nitrorc.com/mods/engines/trx15mod.html
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Hey guys, I was looking around for ways to increase to power on a TRX 3.3 (I know they have ALOT of power but who says you can't have more?) and I read that you can "port and polish" the piston sleeve and it would give you better throttle response and more power. Will it add power or is it a waste of time? If it does work, does anyone know a SAFE and easy way to do this? I also read that putting in ceramic bearings in adds power. I have no idea what those are so could some one please tell me what is the beifits oh using these? Any help would be nice! Thanks! -Wolfslash16
    to be honest with you you have to get it just right with porting and polishing IMO. With all of your angle ect ect, I would honestly wait untill your almost cooked the engine you have then give it a try. Unless you have experience in doing this, And money to buy a new one if this does not work out being your first time.
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

RC Champion
    I've done this before, although I haven't noticed a huge increase in power the engine idles much better and seems to work really well. It has over four gallons on it also.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Enthusiast
    I believe the ceramic bearing simply last longer and have nothing to do with power. i have experience in porting 2-cycle motorcycle and snowmobile engines. In most cases the pipe needed to be re-tuned (shortened), and the compression raised to maximize any benefit from the port job. That being said, i took the dremil to my 3.3 and went to smoothing the ports on the outside of the sleeve and raised the boost port to match the transfer port, added fangs, polished everything nice and shiny, i reworked the crank for flow, without making any changes to the crank timing, and put it back together. The only difference i noticed is that it had became rather thirsty. I could drain the tank in about 5 minutes. There was no noticeable difference in performance. I over-revved it about a week later and broke the piston skirt. The new sleeve got about a five minuet conture job and got put into a new block with a new crank, and it ran just fine without the thirst that it had before. I put the reworked crank back in, and still no change. I dont think there are any real hidden horsepower secrets to be found in the porting on the 3.3. But changing to a larger carburetor, has made all the difference in the world. It was the best $14.00 i ever spent on that motor.

The advantage of ceramic bearings is thay they are more efficient as the surfaces of the bearings are microscopically smoother than steel. Also beaing that the bearings are ceramic they also cur down on heat transferance, they help isolate the crank thermally better than steel ball bearings which allow much more heat transferring from the casing to the crank through the bearings...

I have ported and polished my motors. YOu can't make a mistake, if you do it wrong your engine will be shot...

Ceramics last no longer than steel bearings IMHO. Unless your serious about racing, and not involved with ROAR sanctioned racing (they do not allow ceramic bearing engines in ROAR events). A good set of Avid bearings is fine......
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Champion
    Mr waug, they can be made more powerful with a good professional mod job. IMO it's not worth 75 bucks to mod a 100 dollar engine.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

Quote Originally Posted by lubecakes View Post
    Mr waug, they can be made more powerful with a good professional mod job. IMO it's not worth 75 bucks to mod a 100 dollar engine.
    I ported my own, but did not touch anything with port timing... Used a new Piston/Sleeve, conrod and bearings... It's working nice.... I posted about it in the TMAXX forum...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...83#post5143483
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC poster
    does anyone have pics of their porting? mainly the crank, i just pulled mine out and am in the process of cleaning and taking it apart. i will be starting it within the next few days hopefully.

RC Champion
    Here's what a typical pro mod job looks like:

http://rbmods.net/rbshop/index.php?t...product_id=173
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC poster
    what about a shot looking at the face of the crank? i had an awsome link saved but the site is closed or something now

RC poster

larger carburator

Quote Originally Posted by mrwaug View Post
    I believe the ceramic bearing simply last longer and have nothing to do with power. i have experience in porting 2-cycle motorcycle and snowmobile engines. In most cases the pipe needed to be re-tuned (shortened), and the compression raised to maximize any benefit from the port job. That being said, i took the dremil to my 3.3 and went to smoothing the ports on the outside of the sleeve and raised the boost port to match the transfer port, added fangs, polished everything nice and shiny, i reworked the crank for flow, without making any changes to the crank timing, and put it back together. The only difference i noticed is that it had became rather thirsty. I could drain the tank in about 5 minutes. There was no noticeable difference in performance. I over-revved it about a week later and broke the piston skirt. The new sleeve got about a five minuet conture job and got put into a new block with a new crank, and it ran just fine without the thirst that it had before. I put the reworked crank back in, and still no change. I dont think there are any real hidden horsepower secrets to be found in the porting on the 3.3. But changing to a larger carburetor, has made all the difference in the world. It was the best $14.00 i ever spent on that motor.
    Where did you get a larger carb that works for 14 dollars and what kind was it?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by salyerlp View Post
    Where did you get a larger carb that works for 14 dollars and what kind was it?

He's most likely talking about the losi 3.4 carb which can be found used for in that ballpark if you have good friends. I got mine for $20 used from a local.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP