Thread: Project LS71

RC Champion

Project LS71

For about a year now I have been stripping parts off of my Blue Eagle. It became so stripped that it couldn't even be called a roller. But today its transformation begun. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and offer little in the way of problems. Once it is completed I will post some pictures. For now here are a few highlights.

Plastic dyed black
    Lunsford tie rods
    Aluminum bell crank
    Evader ST shocks with AE gold truck springs
    Tekno battery tray
    Pro-Trac Suspension
    New Era wheelie bar
    Robinson Racing idler
    FLM sealed diff

It will also have a hpi dog bone setup installed on it if I can get everything to fit. Apparently people have been doing it on rustlers and stampedes for while with minimal effort.

Also I dont expect it to be to fast. Its only going to have a 3s MMP 2400 setup.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Don't dye the white parts!!! Try to find them in black and sell the white ones if they are in good shape...

He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Champion
    When I got the truck its a used and abused carpet racer. So the plastic was not an appealing color.

I would be interested in a front bulkhead in black. But I have only ever seen them in white except for the split version that does not have cross braces.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

I have a few black ones, but, I think you're right, they don't have the cross braces... There are at least 3 versions of the white one...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

They did make the black front bulk with braces. Found one at my LHS a few years ago for my LS-II.

For anything that you plan to run, stay away from the white plastics. They tend to get brittle over the years and will snap easily. I just broke an axle yoke on my TRX-3 the other day. Looked like new, but snapped under a 27-turn motor. My TRX-1 was even worse. Broke pretty much every white piece (including the front bumper ) just running around on the street with a stock motor.

RC Champion
    I know exactly what you mean. When I first upgraded my eagle the front arms snapped after a wheelie. Luckily this build wont have much of the original plastic to break. Just the trans case and front bulkhead.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    While installing the new diff I came across a slight problem. The FLM diff does not like to fit in the case. To make it fit all you need to do is grind down the lowest part of the inner trans case. The little bit around the clearance hole is enough to cause some serious binding. The Robinson Racing idler fit without a problem and has no mesh issues with the diff. With all the parts combined it makes the trans as bullet proof as its going to get.

The HPI dog bones also fit very well with very little work. I just have to shim the outputs and play with the bone position so that the diff outputs dont get pushed inwards.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    why didnt you just go with nitro rusty rear carriers and mip cvd's? ive got that setup with the trx steel gears and my srt gearbox is bullet proof. im running a 5.5t sc motor too so its not like the thing has it easy either.

i also took some material out of the hole in my gearbox there too. i think the gear diff just dont fit them earlier boxes.

also....

FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Champion
    I will try to get a few pics up soon.

As to the drive shafts I have had it with cvd's. There is also the small issue of using Pro-Trac arms from a slash. Very few steel drive shafts will fit them. If I had stuck with stock length arms I could have used the Tekno ones but that would have made to much sense.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    what is happening with the cvd's. ive not had too much trouble and most of that was my own doing. the protrack thing is a bit of an issue huh.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Champion
    I have never had good luck with cvd's. They throw pins even when you heat shrink them and they wear down to fast for my liking. I can get Stampede/Rustler ones that will fit the Pro-Trac arms but for the same amount or less I can get a dog bone setup. Dog bones also look much cleaner and have far less parts to go wrong.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Here are some pictures of my Blue Eagle LS. Please ignore the missing wheel on the wheelie bar. Lost it while running today somehow. Also I dont plan on running the large tires much. They are for my Stampede. The norm will be 2.2 Road Rage's and maybe some Dirt paws.

http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/s.../Blue%20Eagle/

Parts installed

Pro-Trac suspension
    FLM sealed diff
    Robinsion Racing idler
    VXL input and slipper assembley
    Castle MMP with 2400
    HPI dog bone's
    Hot Racing bell crank
    Tekno battery tray
    AE battery straps
    DuraTrax shocks with RPM dual rate pistons and AE gold truck springs
    New Era multi mount
    New Era wheelie bar
    Nitro Rustler rear tower
    Lunsford tie rods (still need one for bell crank)
    RPM front carriers and casters
    Hitec 645mg with Racers Edge servo saver
    AE & Losi ball studs and cups
    Oderint Dum Metuant