RC Competitor

2 speed transmission: yay or nae?

I'm looking at putting a 2 speed transmission into my ERBE. I've already bought the parts from a summit to have the diff lockers, though haven't installed them yet, so I'll get to that later on.
    Generally speaking, I'm not a speed freak, speed runs don't really interest me for the revo as I don't really have anywhere suitable to do so, similarly I have no decent places that would be of any interest if I had a summit, hence buying the revo. I also don't have anything silly to jump off, so it's very much a land vehicle.
    What I do have is a lot of dusty, sandy, and grassy hilly areas, and a few sports ovals at my disposal. I'm also lucky if I can find 20 minutes a week to drive the thing, so it just lives in the boot of my car incase I drive past somewhere of interest.

At the end of the day I just want a good, solid, reliable truck that's fairly versatile. Standard gearing for most days, but have the ability to lock the diffs and gear ratio right down for some childs-play crawling.

So, just wondering, has anyone put a 2 speed into a brushless truck? Is it likely to come with any transmission or electrical problems in the long run? Is the low range much lower than the high speed (which I'm going to match to the current single speed) to warrant having the thing in there in the first place?

I'd appreciate any experience on the subject. Thanks.

RC Champion
    Yay! I like to use it climbing over curbs or pretending I'm an old smelly nitro shifting on the run.

RC Champion
    I'de say go for it if your intent is to use it for actual crawling but still have the normal gearing for general bashing. Just be aware it adds a half rotation of slop into the tranny which makes it easier to break gears. I tried it for a while with the intent of having a "safe" gearing for running on either 4s or 6s just by shifting gears but I decided it just wasn't needed....my gearing on 6s is a bit lower than I like so that 4s isn't too slow but it's close enough that it's usually not a concern.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    Are there different gearsets available? For example is there a summit ratio set and and another faster set or anything?
    I'm not sure, just looking at the kits on ebay and ratios aren't mentioned.

RC Qualifier
    You cannot change the gear ratios in the summit trans. It should be pretty straight forward to install and it is plenty beefy to handle brushless. Just dont shift while in motion.
    With a coggy big magnet motor like the castle, I dont think you will be geared low enough to have a smooth crawl though.

two speed but I am using a Dewalt 14.4 motor. no front locking diff, but I locked the rear diff full time.....
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...922029-SumRevo

Not a lot of speed but fast enough........it's fun to crawl around with.
    sounds like you want a BL Summit........
    Last edited by 87 GN; 04-10-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley au View Post
    Are there different gearsets available? For example is there a summit ratio set and and another faster set or anything?
    I'm not sure, just looking at the kits on ebay and ratios aren't mentioned.
    The two speed kit comes with two ratio options for the high (slower top speed) gear...the low gear ratio is the same as what the erevo tranny has stock.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    You can shift up on the fly by letting off the trigger while it shifts, like driving a real stick shift in a way.