RC Qualifier

What dewalt motor to get

I want to know what is the best dewalt motor to buy. I have the first 3905 with no 2.4 or lvc cutoff on the esc and I'm thinking of upgrading both. What would be the top speed with a dewalt motor with 2 2s lipos?

RC Champion
    Here are two great threads about mod'ing Dewalt motors in E-Maxx trucks. Speeds are going to depend on the batteries and gearing.

I just ordered a 14.4 volt motor and I found that the part number 396505-21 has been replaced by part number 396505-21sv. I'm not sure what the difference is, I've tried to find it via google but can't locate the specific difference.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ll-Electronics

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ht=3903+dewalt

oooopsi double post
    Last edited by trax de max; 04-06-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

their is a few seriel numbers that will fit, just got to make sure it's the "new style" that has a flat end where the pinion is.
    The old style has 4 lugs for mounting. Don't use. Too much grief to install
    You'll find the numbers on internet but not what they mean, My number only shares the first 5 digits, the last 3 digits are different even to the ones for sale on internet.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks

need 10 characters

also without using the 2.4 the motor will need the three caps fitted to the motor and wires. 1cap for + and can, 1cap for - and can and one for + to - side wire.
    some people still put the caps on for the 2.4. If you have them theirs no harm in using them.
    It runs fine without the caps using the 2.4 system.
    incase you aren't sure the old and new motor here is a link to another thread in the summit section.picture of old and new style at the bottom

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    also without using the 2.4 the motor will need the three caps fitted to the motor and wires. 1cap for + and can, 1cap for - and can and one for + to - side wire.
    some people still put the caps on for the 2.4. If you have them theirs no harm in using them.
    It runs fine without the caps using the 2.4 system.
    incase you aren't sure the old and new motor here is a link to another thread in the summit section.picture of old and new style at the bottom
    I see...

Then I'm guess what Dewalt call the new model with an "sv" at the end of the model number does not have that funky metal mounting bracket. The newer comes with a removable plastic mounting bracket, or at least that's what came with the one that I just received.

mine doesn't have sv on it, don't know what plastic mounting bracket is, unless its the cover that goes on the can for the wires to clip onto when it's installed in the drill. or the plastic spacer.
    The mounting holes in the new style are in the end of the can M4 screws.

RC Champion
    When I was shopping for my Dewalt motor I kept finding results that said the 396505-21 has been replaced by 396505-21sv. The only difference that I have seen was the link you posted earlier. The one I ordered and received came with a removable plastic mounting adapter. It does not have the 4 metal mounting posts.

i've never seen/heard of the mounting adaptor, I just bolted mine up to the stock motor plate had to make new holes to line up and widen the hole for the lip on the motor.
    I've heard of the sv but didn't know it is the replacement. Them cheeky dewalt people confusing us.
    My drill number is 396506-11 so for me to go twin i have to buy two new motors as i don't know why the last two numbers are different.. maybe timing or number of turns. And i can't find my motor anywhere.