RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Adjust the torque eh? You guys mean it this time?

Whats this about adjusting the torque control on the motor?

Do you mean a slipper clutch?

Or do you mean I have to bring my laptop to the field, along with my castle programmer? Is traxxas expecting me to open up the radio box, and reprogram everytime I want to make an adjustment.... like they expect on the XO-1?

ORRRRRRRRRR.......................

Did Traxxas finally realize they can use Castle Link Live? Can we really adjust the torque limiting on the speed controller, using the radio?!@?!?@#?!@#?!@?#!? The specs say its in the radio... are you just talking max throttle %? Or are we really getting into the ESC finally?

You mods know how worked up I can get over this issue.

A simple straight answer would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by ducati777; 04-03-2012 at 10:46 AM.

RC Champion
    I thnk it will be through the link app.
    Jeremy

Torque control is adjusted with a trim knob on the TX.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    Torque control is adjusted with a trim knob on the TX.
    K, then what happens?

Mods, in general, do not have inside information; so we had no foreknowledge of this vehicle coming through. Have you tried to consult Traxxas yourself?
    The Super Derecho

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I sent a link of this to peterv , although he has given misleading info in the past. It would really be great if traxxas had a knowledgable tech rep on these forums.

If you read the manual you will find some nice information on it...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Champion
    I bet it's just a few different ch 2 end point limits toggled at the radio and has nothing to do with the esc. Just like the X0-1's simulated extras

Traxxas Employee
    The Multi-Function knob can be programmed to control a variety of functions. From the factory, the MultiFunction knob controls the Torque Control setting. Torque Control allows you to set the amount of torque limiting the speed control will provide. The ideal setting will match the car’s torque to the available traction, so you can launch as quickly as possible without breaking traction and spinning the tires. Slippery conditions require less torque; hightraction conditions allow you to increase the torque setting.

Adjusting the Torque Control is simple. To increase torque, turn the Multi-Function knob clockwise. Turning the knob to its stop will result in zero torque limiting (maximum power). To reduce torque, turn the Multi-Function knob counter-clockwise. For racing, you will typically adjust the Torque Control setting until you can launch at full throttle without spinning the tires. Note: Extremely limited torque settings will greatly inhibit vehicle performance and will make the model behave as though its battery is low.
    Last edited by shutterm4; 04-04-2012 at 10:37 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds too good to be true, I wanted that on the XO-1 badly, and PeterV said the Traxxas app is not a Castle programmer, and they have no intentions of pursuing that....

Now this.....

I'm not sure what to believe now. I suspect Bob is right and its really just playing with endpoints, but Shutter's post explicitly says its adjusting the torque control on the ESC, which means they HAVE to be using Castle Link Live, after telling us they weren't going to.... (I noticed shutter says traxxas employee after writing this...)

Which is why I ask for simple straight forward answers... Thank you Shutter.

Until I know more, I'll just believe what Shutter posted, and say wow, thats very, very cool of Traxxas. And wow, I really hope I can get that feature on the XO-1, I believe we're only a software update away from that feature. But I'm pessimistic about our chances of getting a useful update.
    Last edited by ducati777; 04-04-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Is traxxas expecting me to open up the radio box, and reprogram everytime I want to make an adjustment.... like they expect on the XO-1?
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    I sent a link of this to peterv , although he has given misleading info in the past. It would really be great if traxxas had a knowledgable tech rep on these forums.
    Speaking of incorrect and misleading information...... Traxxas does not expect you to do anything except try to be polite and somewhat respectful while you are a guest on our forum. If you want the system to do something it does not and then are upset with us because you have to do something extra, that is your own issue. Yes I know you get worked up about this. You have demonstrated that fact in enough other threads that it has become somewhat grating. I suggest thinking two or three times before leaving another bomb in this thread. Just sayin...
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    So the controller adjusts torque on the castle esc? That is so awesome!!! Can I hook up the dragster radio to my mmp to control the torque? How does the rx get the adjustments to the esc? Is there a separate cable? I am confused as to how it would work.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    You can adjust the 'Torque" by adjusting the Throttle Sensitivity through the radio. Before the Link radios came out a couple years ago, the ONLY way to adjust "Torque" was to program the "PUNCH CONTROL" on the Castle esc, and ONLY if you had the Castle system in your truck. You dont need to get into the punch control setup inside the ESC.

Both of these settings do very similar things. It works almost like a throttle curve to keep it limiting full power as soon as you pull the trigger. I use it on my trucks is the track is very slick and dusty. It helps keeps you from doing donuts as soon as you pull the throttle. On high traction surfaces I put it on maximum if I want to pull wheelies, or lower it to help keep the front end down.

I like that I have been able to adjust this setting through the radio on the fly instead of having to reprogram the esc using a PC or the field card. And using the radio, it can be done with all esc's, not only the Castle system in the big brushless setups.
    Sum LT,ERBE
    1/16 Sum,Rally,Merv
    Slash,Rally,Pede

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    So the controller adjusts torque on the castle esc? That is so awesome!!!
    Yup, turns out the Traxxas radio/app is a Castle Programmer afterall......

Can I hook up the dragster radio to my mmp to control the torque? How does the rx get the adjustments to the esc? Is there a separate cable? I am confused as to how it would work.
    Thats the million dollar question if you ask me.

It works through a protocol called "Castle Link Live", which I keep calling just CLL.

CLL allows the receiver and ESC to communicate through the existing, normal servo wire. No extra wires needed. Its kind of like how you can get multiple tv channels through a single cable to your tv, Castle just found a way to add extra communication to the existing wire.

When I found out about this feature, and how Castle made reference to Traxxas taking advantage of it, I assumed they meant for the XO-1, because at the time it was the latest greatest car from Traxxas. What I didn't know was Traxxas decided to skip CLL on the XO-1 and instead pursue it for the drag car.

The drag car uses what looks like a MMP, and the XO1, and the ERBE both use MMM controllers. Castle has claimed they all work the same way, and because its the same receivers in all the new cars.... I think there's a very good chance we can adjust other castle ESC's through the app too. However I keep asking and am yet to get a good answer on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nvr2Old View Post
    You can adjust the 'Torque" by adjusting the Throttle Sensitivity through the radio.
    Meh, thats really just expo on the throttle. A radio feature. Torque limiting is a ESC feature, which previous to the drag car was only accessible through a Castle programmer.

The drag car really changes everything. It has a feature that until now was impossible... and thats very exciting to me.
    Last edited by ducati777; 04-06-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I read that other thread and see that castle said that cll has been in their esc's for over a year. In talking to castle, did you find out how to tell if an esc has it? I would really like to get a tqi system, but not if I have to buy another esc to use these features. I have my revo mmm, and an mmp.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    I wonder if the Torque Control function is just a dial for Throttle Exponential?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMoore View Post
    I wonder if the Torque Control function is just a dial for Throttle Exponential?
    Not certain. But based on the behavior I witnessed on ours, I believe it is indeed limiting amp draw which would indeed be torque control. It certainly does not behave like simple expo on any other model I have driven.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by goodie1977 View Post
    Not certain. But based on the behavior I witnessed on ours, I believe it is indeed limiting amp draw which would indeed be torque control. It certainly does not behave like simple expo on any other model I have driven.
    Agreed, it doesn't feel like endpoint or expo adjustments. It really does feel you are adjusting "punch" or amp draw right there on the radio.

RC poster
    I was bench testing my Funny Car and trying different settings with the torque control knob. It seems like the wheel speed at full throttle, did not change when I adjusted from say, 100% to 60%. Will I only see changes with the car on the ground? Does the torque control limit torque at the hit and still provide full throttle? Any feedback would be appreciated

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I read that other thread and see that castle said that cll has been in their esc's for over a year. In talking to castle, did you find out how to tell if an esc has it? I would really like to get a tqi system, but not if I have to buy another esc to use these features. I have my revo mmm, and an mmp.
    The only way you'd probably be able to tell is while in Castle Link (at least to my knowledge, unless Castle notes it). I might have to connect up my MMPs and MMMs to see if my newest ones have that availability. Heck my newest MMMv2 could if this is true.

You know you can pick up the ET-3S ESC on eBay fairly cheap. Last one i got several months ago was $60ish. The only thing its limited to 3S. I have one of these installed on my Rusty and another in my 1/10 Rally 4WD. Not a bad controller/combo at all.

To the OP I noticed you mentioned having to bust into the Rx to connect the Castle Link up and carry your Laptop. You know you can buy a Y-harness and have a pigtail hanging out to easily access the controller. I can't help you with having to carry a Laptop though. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Would probably be best to invest in a Field Programmer and use DiggerPede's idea IMO
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails