RC Racer

Question parts that break easily

what parts for a traxxas rustler break easily that are almost neccesary to upgrade to a stronger material?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    arms, carriers, front bulkhead, shocks.

RC Champion
    Rear Shock tower for sure and castor blocks. On top of what he said ^^^

All depends on how you drive and what you hit.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Champion
    Front and rear towers....driveshafts....if you have just bushings upgrade to bearings.
    Get rpm towers.

+1 on STRC bearing carriers. I also like to have a fresh lid painted up ready to go.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    the shockers bend , castor blocks , rear hubs , front shock tower , front bulkhead depending on if you have a bumper , ldier gears!All of them parts are worth upgrading to rpm or steel/aluminium and does anybody know if you can get stronger ldier gears 3696 ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The real, true weak points that nearly ever user has trouble with are as follows...

Castor blocks (nearly ever 2X4 traxxas vehicle has problems with these)
    Rear shock tower (weak point on both the rustler and pede)

Other common, but less immediate weak points are the rear carriers and driveshafts (if you run a tight slipper and high voltage)

What you have to remember is that everyone has different weak points based on how and where they drive. So what breaks for one person may NEVER break for another. For example, I've never broken a stock front shock tower or a set of rear arms. But I know people who have, more than once. I have also NEVER broken a bulkhead. But I know people who have broken more than one. Are they weak points? Technically yes... but not the kind you MUST upgrade right away. Do the rear tower and castors and run the truck. See what YOU break...

Get a good front bumper (I prefer the slash 2X4 bumper from RPM) and an RPM gear cover and you should be set fairly well.

Shocks are NOT known to be a serious weak point. Generally when they bend shafts its because of a bad or crooked landing and/or too heavy shock oil. If you bent a shock shaft you should count yourself lucky you didnt break anything else. They do bend from time to time but IMO are not a must upgrade part until you start to have problems. Often a set of aluminum shock caps is all thats required to fix them up.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 04-04-2012 at 01:50 PM.

RC Champion
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    Sorry man i think I have you beat on the number of broken parts. these are parts I've broken, although I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Chassis in multiple places
    THREE rear shock towers
    Front shock tower
    rear shock cap
    4 or 5 bent shock shafts, three in the rear
    three idler gears
    two spider gear diffs
    two top transmission gears
    three top shaft press pins
    front bearing carrier
    INUMERABLE sets of driveshafts
    three titan 12ts
    vxl3s esc
    vxl motor
    rear stock tires
    Transmission case
    a few screws
    And my stock body is completely trashed, cracked and covered in duct tape! lol
    Remember, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. And I've worn out some nimhs, too.
    Last edited by upbasher; 04-04-2012 at 03:17 PM.

RC Champion
    Haha... I didn't know it was a competition. I've done WAY more damage than what I've listed, but if it was obviously my own fault from running it unreasonably hard, I didn't include it. I wanted it to be a list of things that broke while running somewhat normally. You can break anything if you don't drive somewhat cautiously.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    My son and I bash hard and jump everything, I have tried about every hop-up out there and in my opinion these are all you need over time to have an almost unbreakable truck. RPM arms, bearing carriers, towers and bumpers. STRC Bulkhead, shock caps, steering linkage and caster blocks. Traxxas TiNi shock shafts to replace your bent ones (you will bend them all) Every other aluminum part wore out to quickly (carriers and towers) and just wasnt up the the beating, RPM has been better than anything else. We bent shock shafts on every bash session we had, since rebuilding them last summer with TiNi shafts we havent bent one yet.

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Kanati; 04-04-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Bash, Bash, Crash, Repair, Repeat....

RC Champion
    GEEZ, you folks must be driving your cars off a 2 story building! WOW! everything is weak when you think you can drive it beyond what it was intended for. Or if you dont have any respect for the materials each part is made from...I seem to have that problem on my Maxx!

RC Champion
    Bashing is fun...without jumps rc would be nothing.