RC poster

Spur gear question

I just got slash 4x4 really love it

But if i would like to increse my speed in acceleration to middle speed , what spur and pinion size should i suppose to put in?

In addition, should i buy the center differential , what performance will i get and does it really worth money?

Also the suspenion what brand is perfect with dirt track

RC Racer
    I'm assuming you only have the stock battery. If so, Just buy a 3s lipo battery ( you will need lipo charger also), it will improve your speed from 10-15 mph with stock gearing. As always monitor your motor temp, so you don't unglue the motor.

RC poster
    Now i use the 2s lipo batt , its great but need more torqe

Jfrank is correct! A 3s Lipo will give you the speed and torque you want. Stay with the stock gears! The motor WILL become loose from the shaft if it is over heated!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Racer
    Using a 3s batt on the stock VXL is bad advice IMO. even though they state it can handle 3s they dont . Well maybe for a short speed burst but thats it. Going smaller on pinion gears and using the 54 spur will get you more in the range your looking for. Or do what was mentioned above and ill sell ya a brand new in box vxl esc and motor when you burn yours up. Staying on 2s you will get some longevity out of your system and be able to use the center diff without issues.

RC Competitor
    My house! Right down the hill from my chicken coop.
    I agree! 3s is not the way to go for racing! The 2s with proper gearing is to way to go. 3s are just a lil too big and can create balance issues. I've watched myself and my buddy already go wrong here. Stick with 2s!!!

Peace,
    Story

RC Racer
    ^^^ Words from the wise.

You can run 3s! Just be very mindful of your temps!!!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Qualifier
    over time the 3's will make u upgrade faster.i have my son and grandson running 2s .for me and my peps this is a good set up with stock gearing it get them a little more speed and more run time than the stock nimh. if you want to be absolutly sure experiment thats what i did. El's advice is good nothing wrong with it there are upgrades that will help run the 3s better with the slash. there is a ton of info in these forum what works for you may not work for others. the one thing i would change if i put him up to 3s would be the x-duty mip cvd's( kingheadz motor mount and bearing slipper if you bash center dif if you race) not gonna list all upgrades every thing else is a matter of choice some say alumin shock towers i disagree for the bling yes very cool to bash a waste.just do some experimenting and find what you feel is good for you.

RC Qualifier
    stock pinion is 13t your optional gear is an 18t for speed runs leave the spur gear at 54 and try different pinions 14,15,16,10, 11,12 see which one gives you waht you want watch you temp on 14,15,16. shocks i run are the powerstrokes again everyone will have a different opinion on shocks there are a number of options

RC Racer
    In my opinion any battery can cook a motor if not monitoring motor temps. I have run 3s lipo's in my truck for almost a year now, if running in grass I will have to take a break once to let motor cool, but other than that it's fine. If using a 2s but gearing high, (for speed) that will also give you high motor temps. I love the feel and power of a 3s, no 2s can give you that feeling.