RC Qualifier

Differntial Question and hex screw

Took my XO-1 for a spin around the parking lot .. Didnt crash into anything still with 50MPH pinion and as I got home inspected it . The front left wheel would make a clicking noise spun backwards none other wheels made that noise . So I took to my LHS they said its my differential . I thought its coming from wheel/steeringblock area . Anyhow get home take apart my diff everything seems cool no messed up gears , I notice the rubber ring gasket is torn around where the screw hole is . So after putting everything back still same noise .
    Now trying to take apart at the wheels and see if somthing binding the factory put so much loctite on the sterring block hex set screw that it messed up two hex screwdrivers I had and is completely rounded out and have no idea how to get at it unless I drill it because its set into the block with no little bit sticking out to be able to notch it .. HELP

RC Qualifier
    Ok lets try this ...
    Is anyones shaft cover scratched up like this ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nope, no scratches on mine yet.... but it wouldn't surprise me if they start appearing over time... its an exposed spinning shaft...

Also, can you take a pic of the screw you were talking about? I think you've answered your own question though, sounds like you've got to drill the head of the bolt off.

RC Qualifier
    Do you think maybe I mounted the motor to close to the shaft ? Will get pics of the hex.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It does look close.... if you're concerned you could install one of the larger spurs, and go up on the pinion too. You should be able to keep close to the same ratio, but with using 2 larger gears get more separation between motor and shaft.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    It does look close.... if you're concerned you could install one of the larger spurs, and go up on the pinion too. You should be able to keep close to the same ratio, but with using 2 larger gears get more separation between motor and shaft.
    ok thanks alot

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyG6 View Post
    Ok lets try this ...

Yes, my shaft cover has the same scratches on it and has worn through at least half of the thickness....using the standard pinion...I have at least 2mm clearance from the motor. Any Marshalls have an explanation for this??

Quote Originally Posted by gt500dreamer View Post
    Yes, my shaft cover has the same scratches on it and has worn through at least half of the thickness....using the standard pinion...I have at least 2mm clearance from the motor. Any Marshalls have an explanation for this??
    Send me one and I'll be happy to test it out for you. Otherwise, our fellow members and Traxxas Support are your best bets.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    My shaft is pretty much the same as well. Its from rocks and debris getting in between it and the motor. Its gonna happen.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    Mine looks exactly like yours there was a rock stuck on the side of it that caused the scratches

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I could see one rock or two but I think it might be either motor moving to the side at full throttle or shaft flexing under load , don't see a rock causing all the lines.
    Either way that is least of my worries right now .

RC Racer
    i can tell you im 100 percent sure that was the case on my car i actually saw the rock logged in there between the moter and the shaft and thats exacly what it was doing.

RC Qualifier
    Your front wheel is clicking because your hub is to tight putting pressure on the bearing. I had the same thing and you can prove this by disconnecting the shaft from the diff on the side of the noise then turn the other tire and no more clicking. I was about To change open my diff and decided to inspect more and luckily my hub was to tight.

RC Qualifier
    So took my wheel apart , took the part to my lhs see if anything they could do about it , they didnt even wanna mess with it so came home got the drill out and uh ohh .. Started drilling the hex and DOHH ended up making a hole where it shouldnt have been .. I ended up breaking 2 bits and still didnt get through where I needed .. Called traxxas and explained my situation and the rep clearly said just send the part or send the whole car in .. So that was kool but Im thinking maybe I can just buy a new setup just dont want to buy 4 of each part just to replace one.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You didn't do the center insert first... which locks that pin, which will strip your tool or hex...

Did you loosen the insert and try again?

RC Qualifier
    yes the insert was removed before trying it

RC Qualifier
    @ducati: what insert?

@BennyG6: we are talking about the setscrew, right, did you try to heat it?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lcaa View Post

@BennyG6: we are talking about the setscrew, right, did you try to heat it?
    Yes I did ..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by lcaa View Post

Black cylinder in center of pic... it threads onto stub axel and fits inside the hex to reduce slop.

RC Qualifier
    Ok can somone explain to me , the TRX customer service told me just send the complete part in they will fix it or replace it and return to me .. Now the Rep over the phone didnt take any of my info or didnt state anything other then send the the KLINE RD iirc address along with a discription of the issue at hand .

So do I just write a letter explaining what happened and mail that along with my part ? When they see I tried to drill the hex out and see that it created another hole will it void any coverage because I was told over the phone dont sweat it just mail it in well send u a new one or fix this one . Not sure if I'm gonna be charged for it or not because I can probably just source another setup quicker for the time that my ride will be down by mailing this in waiting for them to process and do what they do and then waiting for shipping .. Not sure which route to take here

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'd expect a returned item order.... or whatever its called. Like at Castle you fill out a form, and they say ok now send the part in, but reference this number!!!

Then when it shows up there's an existing case log.

RC Qualifier
    Does anyone know how long TRAXXAS takes to respond after they recieve your parts sent back to them ? I sent my messed up part back to them last week and Tracking # confirms it was delivered Friday morning and just wondering if it take couple days , weeks , or even a month before everything is all said and done . Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Dunno... never sent anything back to them. I'd expect a couple of weeks though... this sort of stuff rarely has a fast turn around.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyG6 View Post
    Ok lets try this ...

I noticed that the interal splines are off center from the shaft, I thought it was just mine, so I bought an extra shaft and they have the same off center splines. I am bringing this defect to Traxxas attemtion, lets see how they respond.

RC Qualifier
    So I called TRAXXAS lastnight and asked if they have received my package and they stated that it take 48-72 hours after they actually get the package for anyone to enter into the system , then another 4-7 days for their techs to look and hopefully fix the issue , then upto 10-14 bussiness days before its sent back . REALLY , thats like 3-4 weeks .. Now I kinda wish I had just bought the whole setup online and kept the spares in case any future mishaps arise . We are finally getting 70+ degree weather and this is a very bad time for downtime .

RC Qualifier
    Man its been long wait .. Had I know it would of took this long would of put this peice under the knife myself and ate the cost for parts . Sent traxxas one peice they sent me these .. I think they forgot to put my bearings because I dont see any . Ehh just glad I got my stuff . Ill get some bearings at my LHS . Time to get it on the road again .
    btw they sent this all free of charge , TRAXXAS A1 baby
    Last edited by BennyG6; 04-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow, looks like they hooked you up. Well done Traxxas.

(looks like you might be missing the internal CV parts too)

RC Qualifier
    Which piece are you speaking of ?

Anyone have clue what size bearing go in this
    Last edited by BennyG6; 04-05-2012 at 06:46 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Bearings are 10x15x4 and 6x12x4

RC Qualifier
    Just picked up some bearings
    I think I got it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oh sweet, then you're RTR!