RC Enthusiast

Difference Between Shock and Diff Oil?

I just bought the Traxxas diff oil set (10 wt, 30 wt, and 50 wt). Don't ask me why I got a set with such high viscosities, I just did. When I opened it, there was a sheet about rebuilding shocks. I have been wondering if there was a difference between shock and diff oil and i'm wondering if this is the smoking gun. Is there really no difference between shock and diff oil or did Traxxas just put the wrong sheet in the box? It sure would make life easier if you could use one for the other.

RC Enthusiast
    So I just opened the bottle of diff oil and it was obviously very different from the shock oil. It was much thicker and "stickier". Oh well, I guess it isn't a conspiracy, just a packaging issue.

RC Competitor
    yes shock oil is the 10wt 30wt ect but if you look at the diff oit it should be 10k wt 30k wt ect. Much thicker, if you ran diff oil in your shocks you might as well just mount a solid rod in place of them

RC Enthusiast
    Gotcha. I never noticed that before. Thanks for clarifying.

RC Qualifier
    shock oil is thin, like 30-70 weight, so it can flow through the holes in the pistons in the shocks. thin oil allows the shocks to move with less resistance; heavier oil stiffens up the shock and makes it harder to cycle

diff lube is thick, like 10k (10,000) - 120k (120,000) weight; it's sticky and makes the spider gears in the differential act more like a limited slip. thicker oil in the diff stiffens the differential action, while a thin oil will keep things lubed but leave the differential loose and more "open"

although chemically, they're both a silicone based lube, but you cannot use one for the other. well I guess you could but not only would it give undesirable results, it would just be stupid and pointless, lol
    fix, run, break, repeat