RC Qualifier

marble paint effect tips?

hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone has any experience on using the marble paint effect on a body as i am planning on using the effect on the next body i paint. is there anything i shud keep in mind while doing it?i was going to use either a plastic bag or some soft foam to rub it in with but iv never done it before. thanks, and any input is helpful.

RC Champion
    That sounds like a really hard job. You could just randomly smear with a paint brush...with different colors. Not sure how that would work though...

RC Racer
    Use a Plastic Bag ot Seran wrap. DONT over work it. Remember it cant be done wrong.. Every time you do it will have a different effect. Just spray on your base color lay the bag on top and pull off. OR Ball up the bag and blot the wet pain. Bot till have different effects but yet both come out great!!
    Rally Red Rider I & II
    Race'em RC

RC Qualifier
    alright i think im gonna use the plastic bag becuase i can put my hand in it.... i was just origonally going off of what squirrel said on one of his youtube vids so i wanted to see if that is one of the best methods

RC Qualifier
    also, what would different colors look like i was gonna just use white but it got me thinking

We use saran wrap when doing marble on 1:1 cars. Mainly because you can lay it out in large sections and also you can see what you're doing. Not as important on a lexan body because you can see it from the outside of the body if you do decide to use a bag.

RC Qualifier
    ok, do you know anything about different marble colors?, what they will look like?

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I think maybe the pearl or metallic colors would work the best. Never tried it, though. Don't forget to post the pics when you're done!!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Does anyone have pics of this? Sounds cool.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Here is how I do it with an airbrush:

1. Spray a light coat (or 2) of transparent color similar to the paint used in step 2. Let it dry. I use a blow dryer to speed things up.
    2. Blot the inside of the body with the main color, using either a crumpled up plastic grocery bag or saran wrap. Let it dry.
    3. Back the area with opaque black.

There are tons of ways to vary the effect, but this is what I prefer to do. I think using a transparent color first gives the effect more depth. Metallic paints for the main color really make the effect stand out, especially in the sun. Before trying this technique, I would advise practicing on some lexan scraps first. That way you'll figure out how much paint to pick up with plastic bag and develop a repeatable process to keep the blotting more uniform. You really can't screw this up, unless you use too much paint or too little.

RC Qualifier
    ok sounds good, but y back it with black? just for protection or does it give it a kuel look?

I'm a little confused. I'm thinking of the marblizer like you get from House of Kolors. That's what we use on 1:1 cars. Is there something like that for r/c or are you guys talking about a marble-look by using regular paints?

RC Qualifier
    marble look with regular paints if go to youtube and watch squirrels video on it that shud explain it

RC Qualifier
    Here are some examples of my work...

RC Qualifier
    pretty good looking, did you use white as the marble?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by eschmitt4 View Post
    pretty good looking, did you use white as the marble?
    The "marble-lized" (blue) sections are Createx transparent blue, then blotted with pearlized blue, then backed with opaque black.

Nice work.

I wonder if you could do that with rattle cans?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by redbarton View Post
    Here are some examples of my work...

Good job bro
    "Nothing is meant to be stock very long"