RC poster

S-Maxx Not moving (narrowed down the cause)

Hey guys, I am completely stumped here.

I have got an S-Maxx with the 2.5 and I have added reverse and AWD.

The reverse never switched over the greatest but never had a problem driving forwards. Well unfortunately she sat in the basement for a while. Well yesterday I decided to break it out and go for a spin. Motor was seized up a bit but cleaned it out and she started right up.

Well after that it went down hill. Hit the throttle and I got no movement. Tinkered with reverse because I have had this issue before where it was stuck between gears. Not this time! I took apart the tranny found no missing teeth or any binding or non moving parts. Everything in the tranny is moving as it should until you get to the Forward and Reverse gears. Something its not working with them or contacting the black piece that it is supposed to catch in order to turn the drive shaft.

It seems to me that the metal piece that is supposed to come out of the forward and reverse gears just isn't coming out and contacting the drive shaft. But the chances of both gears being broken? I have tried pushing them out with my hand and they move freely.

Maybe too much tension on the springs not letting them pop out? I have never touched those gears besides adding reverse (a long time ago) and everything worked OK after that.

What am I missing guys?

Generally the metal pieces in the gears (pawls) if moving freely do not need adjustment unless someone tinkered with the adjustment screws.
    The pawls only swing open and grab the black piece (clutch bell) when there is enough rpm input from the engine (you can not spin the spur gear fast enough by hand to engage the pawls and make the output shaft spin).
    Have you checked that the slipper clutch is tight enough and the spur is spinning the input/slipper shaft? There is also a pin that anchors the forward and reverse primary gears (smallest gears on the middle shaft) to the shaft and if broken you will not get any movement from the truck.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC poster
    Thanks for your quick reply.

Ok by Slipper clutch your are referring to the clutch at the center of the main spur on the outside of the trans? I just checked that and it was slipping which makes complete sense. Completely overlooked that not thinking there was a clutch there.

All the Friction tabs (red) had been worn down and it was now slipping on the spur itself. I tightened that nut down and the truck moved a bit when I started it then it began to slip again. So, I will be purchasing new spur and slipper clutch tomorrow.

For my next question, how tight do I tighten the slipper clutch?

To me it would seem reasonable to just put the bolt on snug, but there is a spring there. I'm thinking too loose and it will slip and prematurely wear out. Too tight and it doesn't do its job slipping when it needs to. Not sure why it would need to, maybe if something goes wrong internally in the trans to prevent more damage?

Quote Originally Posted by magiccowinuse View Post
    For my next question, how tight do I tighten the slipper clutch?
    Tighten the nut until the spring if fully compressed and then back it off 1/4 turn. You will want to replace the friction pegs, filling all 12 holes in the spur gear is a big +.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccowinuse View Post
    To me it would seem reasonable to just put the bolt on snug, but there is a spring there. I'm thinking too loose and it will slip and prematurely wear out. Too tight and it doesn't do its job slipping when it needs to. Not sure why it would need to, maybe if something goes wrong internally in the trans to prevent more damage?
    The slipper is there to slip when needed to prevent driveline damage in instances of abuse like landing a jump while on throttle or a tire off the ground that balloons into a pizza cutter and then makes contact with the ground and such.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.