Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

basic must have revo upgrades

Hi guys.

Just ordered a brand new Revo 3.3.. should be here next week or so.

Ive had a 2.5 S-Maxx in the past, but really out of the game in terms of whats good in recent terms.

Im asking (been trying to look for) what most people do in terms of the most basic must have upgrades for your revo.

Not looking to do any actual proper racing. Mainly just bashing around the BMX/RC race track, backyard, construction site etc etc. With abit of onroad driving here and there.

I have been looking at a set of road tyres/wheels..
    Pro-Line 40 Series Road Rage - Axial 8-Spoke Oversize
    or
    HPI Phaltline - HPI Blast

...thats about it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

**feel free to just post a link to point me in the right direction
    OkGo Performance, RC Division.

RC Racer
    Congrats on your new revo lincoln. I would try and use the search function ....keyword: Revo upgrades. And trust me you'll get plenty threads telling you what upgrades are a must. Good luck
    "My Ideas always work sometimes"

RC Champion
    I feel the most important upgrades for a Revo are RPM "A" arms and steering blocks. Second would be the Forward Only conversion. Other than that its pretty good stock. Again, just my opinion.

RC Racer
    Rear wing is the most important thing if you ask me, rear wing makes driving on loose surfaces so much easier and acts as a wheelie bar and protects your engine cooling head.
    |Traxxas|Revo|3.3|#5309|FIN|

RC Racer
    whenever i use the search function i end up in threads that are unrelated and/or from 5+ years ago??

Rear wing not a bad idea =)

And keen on the FOC, didnt have reverse in the Smaxx and how often do you really need it eh.
    Also had RPM A arms and shock towers on the Smaxx too

I understand gearing, im keen to give it some more top speed (we'll see how fast she is out of the box), but dont want to overgear it.
    Plus ive read abit about the stock clutch failing??

RC Racer
    The stock clutch should be able to handle about 2 gallons, with more careful driving and cleaning, you should be able to at least double its life.

RC poster
    I found my truck much more enjoyable to drive when I added the following:
    Not saying you need all this but,

The vented disc brake if it came wit the $3 single one
    FOC & a proper failsafe
    Pull start after break in
    2075 servo or better if yours came with a 2055 on throttle/brake
    Stiffer springs than stock ones
    Those are my picks if I had to do it al over again.

wing and sway bars
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    This is what I have sway bars, heavier weight shock oil 40-50 wt, play around with the shock springs to see which set-up you like I have blues all around but that's just the extra I had laying around.

This guy has a nice set-up

Click me!
    Revo 2.5r, Slayer Pro 4x4 Picco .26 max.

RC Champion
    I'm not sure about the exact size of the phaltline/blast combo, but it seems to be very popular for on-road use. You could jump to a 15 tooth bell and/or a 36 tooth spur.
    I would start with the foc, pullstart, and single servo. You can simply remove one servo or go out and get yourself a nice one. A 3 shoe clutch is a good idea, since 2 gallons is really asking alot of the stock clutch. A ths pipe and manifold will wake up your 3.3, and some good fuel with about 12% oil will also help performance.
    Rpm arms are great, but I'd do the other items first.
    +1 for the wing, it's great crash protection if nothing else.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Champion
    wing
    sway bars
    definately RPM a arms. ( id also suggest the rpm true trak a arms on the rear.
    heavier shock oil.
    stiffer springs.
    FOC recomended
    i wouldnt get to enthusiastic on upgrades out of the box though . revo is a very sturdy truck to start with.
    i went from a tmaxx to a revo myself and figured out that i break totally different parts on my revo then i did on my tmaxx.
    signed by me

Scott<pretend its fancy letters

Whats with everyone wanting the FOC upgrade? I like having reverse. and whats with a pull start...BORING! am I missing something? is this to save weight?

why a wing? when it tumbles? does it really provide any stability? curious minds wanna know

RC Racer
    FOC saves much weight, some of it is rotating masses, and you can only go forward with center diff... I don't know about the pull start, I keep hearing it's the best starting system when you have perfect tune. I'm going with roto start. Wing has many good sides, it protects the engine cooling head, makes steering on loose surfaces possible, acts as a wheelie bar and looks good.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    Whats with everyone wanting the FOC upgrade? I like having reverse. and whats with a pull start...BORING! am I missing something? is this to save weight?

why a wing? when it tumbles? does it really provide any stability? curious minds wanna know
    None of that stuff works, we're just saying it does

RC Racer
    thanks again guys for the suggestions.

got a nice big box today =D

will be breaking it in this coming friday and be playing all long easter weekend

..just hopefully my mates parts come so we can have abit of a session together.

Will defs just be upgrading as parts break/when the wallet allows.. and will most likely order some extra hop-ups on the same order (mostly will order from USA to AUS, saves abit on shipping doing bulk orders)

Quote Originally Posted by lubecakes View Post
    None of that stuff works, we're just saying it does
    I am old enough to know that if everyone is saying it, it must hold some water...

I am just curious, new to nitro so I havent gotten the slightest idea. If I know why I am doing something, it makes more sense doing it. Thats why I ask.

Any amplification regarding the pull start would be great. I did my electric start but if I should ditch it for a pull start I will. I dont race, I just "fart around" where ever I can

Thanks a ton - I do love learning...no really, i do

RC Racer
    i do the same as you just fart around so thats why i choose to have my ez start makes it easier when you flip and it shuts off to just walk up to it plug your ez start and go again then to have to sit ther put ur glow plug igniter and pull your life away just my opinion as well as the whole foc thing i like having reverse i may get a foc for my maxx but not my revo
    TO MUCH TO LIST ON HERE

RC Racer
    For me I'm kinda cheap but I'd say for the RPM stuff just wait till the stock stuff breaks then if RPM makes it buy it lol
    Revo 2.5r, Slayer Pro 4x4 Picco .26 max.

RC poster
    You guys have any input on a good wing? I keep breaking mine, or should I say my son (he's 6) keeps breaking it more. He's a good driver, he has an electric 2wd Stampede with super fast esc, I can't even control the thing. I dunno what he's doin but every time he drives it something happens to the wing

RC Champion
    You didn't say what wing you have now, but try a tekno wing maybe?

RC poster
    I don't know what I have now. Bought truck used. If I'm going to have to buy a new one, may as well get a decent or good one. I haven't driven either of my nitros since weather changed so much, wow do they need tuned.

RC Qualifier
    As far as other important items go, if you don't already have them consider buying a good set of hex drivers and a dremel tool with some cutting discs and sanding drums. Great for notching or removing screw heads, grinding, working on lexan bodies, etc. etc...I have literally used mine dozens of times. Also consider a cheap heat gun, I think I paid $14 for mine on sale at Harbor Freight.

RC Qualifier
    Pretty sweet out of the box. But my personal best upgrades were heavier shock oil and stiffer springs. And also 1/2" offset wheels helped alot.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Racer
    Cheers guys. I rememeber back when i had my Smaxx on the traxxas website it had an extensive range of write ups (by Slaydon), everything from the 2.5 to specific trucks and cars (both electric and nitro)
    There must have been 3 "stages" of setups for the Tmaxx, and then a seperate Smaxx and Sportmaxx writeups.

I found these pretty helpful.

However, i can only find the part 4 of this write up and nothing else on the Revo..??

Does anyone know if these are hidden in some archive somewheres, as i would love to pass on some of these write ups on the Maxx series trucks to my mate *who bought my old smaxx.

Hey Lincoln, in the MAXX NITRO TRUCK threads of the MAXX section, you can do a search at the top of the page. I just went there and typed "SMAXX" and got 120 threads going back a few years.

check that out to see if it has what you are looking for

http://traxxas.com/forums/forumdispl...x-Nitro-Trucks

search through that forum i posted above

"Red"

RC Racer
    Just hate going through threads (spesh old ones) as they normally go off topic with links/pictures missing or incorrect.

The Slaydon articles were just such good write ups, like straight from a magazine or something.

All good mate =)

RC Racer
    I like to have:
    Wing
    pullstart
    40 tooth spur
    2075 waterproof gas/brake servo
    stiffer springs (I have all blue)
    Other than that, I think it is great stock. I replace most stock things with rpm when they break.

RC Qualifier
    For your offroad bashing get a set of 3.8" Proline Badlands to fit the 40 series Traxxas wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post

The wing acts like a roll bar and protects the engine and engine mounts in a roll over. removing the pull start and FOC saves weight and less rotating mass inside the trans. I use the center diff. which is a FOC too. I use my revo to race with and you can't have reverse in a race so might as well get rid of it.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    well the opti drive died so im just bypassing it for the mean time while waiting for my FOC to arrive.

... next order i do (ordering from tower to Australia), i think i will have to order the Slayer RX box right
    Not 100% needed but will make it abit more tidy.

What about the throttle+reverse servo box? without the extra servo in there, is there another box i can put on my truck, or what do i do, just leave it empty looking?
    *obvs not too fussed just want to tidy it up.

Am also in the market for a single steering servo conversion.
    Any recommendations??

I see there is a servo blank out plate from traxxas.. and on which side do most peeps mount there (now) single steering servo?

So basically orded some spare air filter elements, spare body pins, spare glowplug leads and head protectors, body post mounts (can u guess that ive rolled it afew times lol)
    Plus my slipper clutch shat the bed, one of the pads on the stock one decided to go missing so just tightened it up so it worked lol. So ive got he HD version coming.
    N i got the sway bar kit too.
    And a 36t spur + 17t clutchbell... anyone want to give there opionon on that gearing? too much for stock 3.3 revo?

My next order will include the wing and wing mount, wheelie bar, center diff and rear brake, plus the vented disc, adj. suspenson arm set, and HPI phaltline/blast wheeltire combo. Plus im sure i will break something that will need replace/upgrading. Plus the slayer RX box and maybe a single steering servo setup.

my mate will now have an extra spool so thinking about spooling the rear diff (or buying another diff to have it spooled) but unsure yet..

=D
    Last edited by Double G; 04-10-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: language

RC Champion
    If you spool the rear diff then you might as well forget about the center diff.

RC Qualifier
    I use the traxxas servo mount #5325r

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTG1
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NITR0 newbie View Post
    I use the traxxas servo mount #5325r

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTG1

Cheers. Thanks for the link and tidy truck pal

... i cant seem to find the slayer RX box on tower tho..could you link me up please?

RC poster
    I feel the most important upgrades for a Revo are RPM "A" arms and steering blocks.

RC poster
    Hey everyone.
    I'm new to RC and recently bought a brand new Nitro Revo 3.3. I've went through the engine break in procedure and basically just tearing it up in my back yard. I see all the posts about upgrades and since spending that much $ on my new hobby, I'd like to keep the expense to a minimum. What is usually the major parts that I need to worry about breaking? I also read that after 2 gallons (I assume of fuel) that your clutch goes out. Is this true and is there anything I can do to prevent it from doing so?
    Thanks in advance.

RC Qualifier
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

hey Dawgbone,

Just drive it like you just spend 700$ on it and you wont tear much stuff up.

this is a pretty tough truck so unless your Revo has tea with all the stationary objects around where you bash, I dont think you are going to have an issue.

when it stops running, replace something. when something no longer looks like it did when you got it, replace that too. I have yet to break a single part but I suspect when I start getting air, A-arms and axle shafts will be the first order of business.

OH, and run it a little rich and that will keep the engine better lubricated, making it last longer
    "RED"

RC poster
    Thanks Red. I was hoping that'd be the answer. I am running it a little rich as you suggest. Is it normal to have a little blue smoke coming out the exhaust? $700.00 bucks is quite a bit, but I've been wanting to get out and do something since I won't be able to work anymore after 8 major back surgeries. I really appreciate everyone's help. Thanks again.

RC poster

These are my two trucks. Of course my new Revo and the bye one is an older generation T-Maxx that I acquired and trying to get going. The front end was broken up so I've replaced the A arms and bracing rods (if that's what they are called)? It definitely widened the stance. Definitely a learning experience, but I enjoy it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NITR0 newbie View Post
    thanks for that. Just noticed your running the older 2.5 airfilter... any reason as to why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast