Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm

Vintage trx buggy.

Looking into what it will take to join my tracks vintage buggy class. The only rules are that the chassis must be pre 1994, and use a 27turn brushed. The Bandit was released in '95 so its out. What are my options? Dont know much about the old trx buggies. I dont need a world beater, just something that can legally run. I'll just out-build, out-drive and out-tune 'em 8) .

P.S. If I could use parts from my 2wd pede/slash/bandit/rusty parts pile, it would be a big bonus. The chassis is the key...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

I prefer the TRX-1 the most out of all the Traxxas buggies. But judging by the vids of where you race, the TRX-3 would be the way to go. It's a good amount shorter wheelbase and will work better on a tight track. Very stiff chassis too. Should work nicely.

Or you could wait til next year and make a shorter chassis for the Bandit. That's still my master plan for my budget Bandit. That reminds me, maybe I should update that thread.

Since they're easier to find, I'd get a Bullet. It wouldn't do as well as the TRX-1 or 3, but I bet it would do quite well with the right setup. Once I got mine dialed in, it handled pretty darn well!

what other buggies are typically out at your track?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Hey guys!

My name is Leonardo, and i am from Brasil!
    So, i had one Traxxas TRX, that seen to be an TRX III, but it wasn't running, until last week. I buy one 27T Midnight motor, and installed it on my TRX. I was running with him, and i jumped one obstacle, in a street. With this jump, i broke the dogbone, or shaft. I didn't had one dogbone, to spare part. So i search, and i found this:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJJ82&P=6

So there is my question, will this Half Shaft fit in my TRX?

Thank guys
    Cebolinha

P.S: Sorry for my bad english... i am learning
    Last edited by cebolinha; 03-25-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cebolinha View Post
    Hey guys!

My name is Leonardo, and i am from Brasil!
    So, i had one Traxxas TRX, that seen to be an TRX III, but it wasn't running, until last week. I buy one 27T Midnight motor, and installed it on my TRX. I was running with him, and i jumped one obstacle, in a street. With this jump, i broke the dogbone, or shaft. I didn't had one dogbone, to spare part. So i search, and i found this:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJJ82&P=6

So there is my question, will this Half Shaft fit in my TRX?

Thank guys
    Cebolinha

P.S: Sorry for my bad english... i am learning

If you have a TRX-3 or even the TRX-1, chances are you need the 1651 or 2751 drive shafts. The ones in your link are for a truck and are too long.

These should be the correct sliders:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Half-Shafts-...item3cc41fb508

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Since they're easier to find, I'd get a Bullet. It wouldn't do as well as the TRX-1 or 3, but I bet it would do quite well with the right setup. Once I got mine dialed in, it handled pretty darn well!

what other buggies are typically out at your track?
    I will be running a small carpet oval.
    alum RC10's, and a losi team guy has a couple jrx2's and trx1. He did not run them today, but I got the trx 1 in my hands to check out. If I can tune it I can make it work. What are the limits of the bullets tuning? Simple is better on this track. I do want to wait to see if this class is just a passing fad. The attendance goes from 2 to 6 buggies from week to week. If it keeps growing, I will invest in a chassis.

Are any of the current 2wd suspension parts compatible with the bullet?

I bet a well setup Bullet would do alright; it's fairly adjustable for its age. I run a 15-turn Trinity Speed Gem motor in mine, and it's quick.

The problem would be parts. I'm sure that you could retrofit newer parts to it, but I personally wouldn't (takes away from the vintage feel, in my opinion). The good news is that the Bullet is a really durable buggy.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    harry697

Thank you guy!
    So i was thinking abou the broked shaft, and i get an conclusion: The plastic was resected! The car have too much years, so the plastic resected, and it brittle!

But is ok, as didn't came the new shaft, i am running with my RC10 Graphite Team Car!

My TRX III, will be with the Midnight 27T motor, an Cheap esc (30A), and an Metal Gear, super quick servo, and the best part about it is the proline tires! It had tires from On Road and Off Road!

I was thinking about put an Vellineon System in my TRX III, what you guys think about these?

rag6 sorry to pollute your topic, but like you have too many questions about my TRX III...

Thank Guys!
    Cebolinha

This post has been edited because of language abuse violation(s). If you see a starred out word in your post, the word has been blocked by the language filter. The language filter was put in place to block words that Traxxas deemed inappropriate for use on their forums. Please remove these words from your post in the future, or warning points will likely be issued. This includes website names that have been banned.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-27-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Pollution is necessary lol. Just have to clean it up when it hurts something, and you are not hurting my thread. Its ok.

The reason I ask about the suspension arm compatibility is that there are so many options with the newer arms to offset the chassis(cog) to the left by using shorter left arms and longer right arms. Someone once posted somewhere on this site that moving the battery to the left would not make a difference in handling on an oval. I call bull. It made a huge difference with my sct build. The truck did not get any faster in lap times, but it made it 10x easier to be consistent and smooth in the turns.

I cannot run a Bandit even know it was produced under the cut. The chassis has to be out of production. If this class grows and I get in, it will be with an old school trx chassis. Losi?? AE??? NOT ME! LOL...

The only rules are 27t brushed, and an out of production chassis produced before 95. Anything else goes... Frankenbullet?

RC poster
    Rag 6

I strong recomend, or the TRX III, or the RC10. The both cars, are very great, i had both. I like too much, the design of the Chassis of the TRX III, and, he run beutifully with an 27T motor. This car is awesome! The motor, put an Midnight, or the Axial 27T motor, that will run very great, and put an duratrax esc with reverse, or, if you want an cheep esc, how runs very great, and had lipo cutt of, go with this 30A HK esc!

Sorry for my bad english, i am learning, like i said before!
    Cebolinha

RC Champion
    battery placement is very helpful in the turns and if its on a high bite surface (blue groove/carpet/concrete) than itll be a little rocket ship however a left side battery will hurt you coming out of the turn. that car will get loose and it takes a lot to reel it in, atleast on a looser surface.

now if i was gonna get into it id get me a vintage oval car like a trackmaster, dynotech, or some rc10 based oval conversion and whoop the crap out of them... but thats just me.

the bullet is more than capable on an oval imo. good geometry, well planted car. my only reservation is the gearbox. not great but neither was the rc10's 6 gear or a lot of other gearboxes from that era, not without some work atleast.

what kind of 27t? rebuildable? sealed? mod or stock can/endbell? find yourself a tuned p2k, co27, revenge of the monster, or something along those lines and you will be very surprised. easily faster than a 17.5 with or without boost. i might be able to hook you up as speed'os go get yourself an old novak or tekin 3 wire esc. first time you run a worked 27t with a good tekin or novak esc from the late 90's you will need a change of pants.
    Last edited by SRTracer121; 03-27-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

Any 27t brushed... and a 95 or earlier out of production chassis. Any other mods/electronics allowed. I am holding back to see if this class is a passing fad. One week there are 5, the next week, none. Everyone seems geeked for the class, but its not taking off...

The cars they are running, are basically going full throttle all the way around the oval, so a higher revving motor would be ideal? Torque does not seem to be an issue. this past Sunday they ran 1 lap short of my tq mod sct that has been dominating lately, so they are running strong.

If they start consistently getting 5 every week, I will put 1 together. Everyone is talking the talk, but not bringing the boogies.
    Last edited by rag6; 03-27-2012 at 06:30 PM.

RC Champion
    well torque still comes into it. your horsepower is rpm x torque (divided by 5252, but thats not what im getting at) so torque is still a part of it. thats why guys used to zap the crap out of the magnets in the can. would give gobs and gobs of torque. also that added torque, atleast for oval, means you can gear taller. im not surprised they are running near-mod class lap counts. unlike an overpowered mod car, a slower motor means your putting down more power and not spinning tire as much.

if you can geat a trx bullet that beat up but complete go for it. bandit arms will fit with some shimming and without looking, i think rc10 arms are the same story

Are you strictly looking to run oval with this car or do you want to run the offroad course too? If just oval, look into the Bullet or TRX-1.

Oval only. Thanks.

RC Champion
    yeah the bullet is more than capable in that case.

RC Champion
    Would they allow a scratch build chassis ?
    I have a TRX-3 and a TRX-TCP and a few spare 2mm G-10 sheets
    So making a replica chassis would be easy , but would that be legal ??

The worst part is finding new...ish No. 2525 battery sides and rear bulkheads in descent shape
    Last edited by SnoopMaxx; 04-01-2012 at 05:17 AM.
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

no, has to be an original chassis.

Are any of the sledgehammer parts the same?
    Will a rusty ft bulkhead fit?
    Last edited by rag6; 04-01-2012 at 05:49 AM.

RC Champion
    i guess you mean the bullet and sledge?

think stampede vs bandit and then some. same basic stuff (spring cups, rod ends, hardware, bearings, etc) same gearbox but with different main gear and motor mount. same front end bits (bulk, arms, etc)

where they differ is all those thinga-ma-bob-ers in the middle like the tub, the shocks, shock towers (more "molded things" in the case of the sledge) the front spindles, the steering and maybe front camber links as well as the rear half shafts. the reason for the different length spindles and halfshafts was because the sledge used a different wheel/mounting setup.

the bullet/trx10 and rad also share a ton of parts with the hawk and eagle. more so than the sledge. (the rears in this case)

here is the hawk

the bullet (before i restored it tho...)

and the sledge

on a side note, id love to compile a thread that lists all the interchangeable parts between the old cars as well as a parts from other brands. the veteran collectors all know what probably will and will not fit but most people dont. it would save us regular posters a lot of time i think.
    Last edited by SRTracer121; 04-01-2012 at 11:41 AM.