RC poster

My 10 year Jato Build

Hey all! So it's been almost 10 years since I've started my jato build. I'd thought I'd share some of the history I've had with this truck.

Back in late 2006, I bought a used jato off of EBay. I was really worried I was going to get scammed. I watched the tracking non stop. I even stayed up all night with excitement waiting for the delivery in the morning. It finally showed up. I was so happy. It was lightly used, 2.5 and RTR. Travelled from Arizona to Canada. The elevation change caused some serious tuning issues. Easily fixed and ran strong.

I broke an a-arm clipping the curb a few days later. I stumbled upon some online hobby sites and saw the amount of aftermarket parts there were for this truck. What turned out to be a purchase for a set of arms and glow plugs, turned out to be a $1400 shopping spree.

I took my truck to the hobby expo and it had a phenomenal response. All the Traxxas booth guys were coming over taking pictures and the Integy guys too.

I decided to send in my pics to Driver magazine. What do you know! It was in the readers ride section and I got a free subscription and some loot.

Sadly, I put the truck in a tote and locked it away in storage for years. Never to see the light of day until November of last year. I stumbled upon a YouTube video of a guy who converted his jato to Electric. I got really excited and decided I was going to convert the truck....after hours of digging, I pulled the truck out. The engine was seized. I didn't store it properly. The shocks were all drained and it was covered in oil. I stripped it down and began building the E-jato.

With the E-Jato, I had one goal in mind. To be in the 100mph club. I never realized just how expensive this build was going to be. Let alone what I've already put into it....

I had little knowledge when I began the project. It's surprising just how little information there is out there on this conversion.

So, I started with what I had kicking around. And Squirrelrod's YouTube channel.

I used a 1/10th sidewinder system I had kicking around and a motor plate from an old 2wd electric. It clearly wasn't rigid enough and limited my pinion options.

Once I got it in the truck, the performance was laughable and I had no brakes!!!

I had to lock the 2 speed tranny with a pin in order to use motor braking.

RC poster
    It won't let me paste the last 4 parts :/

RC poster
    I read that I can use an E-Maxx motor plate. It was twice as thick and gave me the adjustability I needed. For the gearing I was running

I also had to do away with the sidewinder setup. I was limited to 3s lipo. That wasn't going to get me to 100mph. So I got a castle 4 pole and a Tekin RX8 power plant.

New tires.

I also picked up one of these! So I can see how fast I'm going.

RC poster
    And I decided I needed a stronger motor mount. The Emaxx plate had a lot of flex. So I found a direct fit on eBay.

Here's a 4s half throttle test.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2JBksZqFt2E

And here's my latest addition. A small light bar.

And sadly, my latest victim. My tranny on a 93.6mph pass

RC poster

great batteries from China

I should have a video up in the next couple of weeks of me achieving my record and ending my 10 year Jato saga.

I'm still waiting on parts

Cheers!
    Last edited by Jatofan69; 03-28-2016 at 10:55 PM.

RC poster
    Wow dude that’s pretty intense. I can’t imagine all the planning, work, and research that went into all that. Let alone all the $$$. You would have been better off just buying a new kit, but sometimes its more about the journey than the destination

RC poster
    You're absolutely right. The journey has been a great learning experience. It has made me appreciate the Jato like no other RC I've owned. The researching and waiting on parts and the building has been an absolute joy. This build will always be an important part of my involvement in the hobby.

RC Qualifier
    Great Job. I was thinking of convert my JATO but i love the sounds of nitro, especially at the shift point. Looks great.

RC Qualifier
    Every time I say I am done with nitro, I wake in a cold sweat. Kudos for the epic journey. Looks amazing. Maybe 1 day I will buy a roller and do an electric version.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod