RC poster

Help with possible E - Jato build

Hi all,

bit of a story firsts - I own an old 2.5 jato which I got many moons ago, I used it for a while but it has been sitting for several years since. My nephew who turns 7 this year has just gotten into RC's, possibly because he has seen my jato & Lotus big 6 sitting hidden away in a room! Anyway we got him the little 1/18 Teton about a year ago and he loves it, uses it basically every day. Over Christmas I sorted out my jato, gave it a little run and tune up and took it over to my brothers to show my nephew. Straight away he wanted to race, Teton vs the Jato. We had a little blast around which was fun and I let him drive the jato since there was not many obstacles in the way. To my surprise he was actually pretty good with it, throttle control etc was good although he did bump into his teton snapping its shock!

I think my nephew is now starting to get to the stage of wanting a bigger RC, I had a chat with my brother and explained how expensive new RC's can be especially 4x4 monster trucks etc. So i mentioned that the best way might be a second hand one, ether in good condition that he can run straight away or something that is cheaper that might need a bit of work, turning it into a nice little project for when he is a tad older. So I have been keeping an eye out on Ebay for any decent second hand trucks etc, but yesterday I saw a jato roller for a very good price, I first noticed it because it has the red upgraded camber and turnbuckle rods which I thought would be a nice little thing to add on mine, plus id have some spare parts etc. After buying it (still not delivered, so not sure of its exact condition) I thought it might make a nice little project for me and my nephew to turn it into an E -Jato.

I am thinking for more off road use, which I am planning to do with my 2.5 also, 20T(or 18T) clutch bell and 2.8 proline badland tyres. But for an E - Jato I am not sure what motor, pinion and spur to go for, and maybe what esc too. It will be used on short grass/dirt and I am thinking a top speed of around 40/mid 40mph would be fine for him. I have seen there are a few mounting options for a motor so I think I will be fine there, though I cannot get any in the UK so I may have to import or make one. The gear box/tranny is on the roller so I will probably just add the single speed gear for it. I do not really want to spend mega money but I would not want to do it to cheap either, so its not up to the task. So my questions would be.

advice on:

- What motor would you recommend? a few options would be great.

- Pinion and spur combo? I guess this might depend on the motor too and temps.

- esc and lipos. The roller should have the stock steering servo.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated, I have only dabbled in RC's really so I am no expert.

Cheers

Macey.

Quote Originally Posted by Macey View Post

- What motor would you recommend? a few options would be great.

- Pinion and spur combo? I guess this might depend on the motor too and temps.

- esc and lipos. The roller should have the stock steering servo.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated, I have only dabbled in RC's really so I am no expert.

Cheers

Macey.
    I did a conversion while ago, first you need to lock the tranny on a single speed to achieve more speed out of it. Second you need a motor plate for the brushless motor, you can find one on ebay. Motor for 3s lipo get a 3500-3800kv, ESC I would say castle MMP is probably the best shot it will never get hot, stock steering servo is enough.