RC Qualifier

Craftsman 19.2v motor builds?

I know most builds consists of the 14v Dewalt motors, just trying to see about 19.2 craftsman. I've got 2 drills that I don't use anymore, just sitting in the garage. I can't find any builds with one, a few posts here and there, but not much. Any reason why? Thought about doing one, but not if there's a reason not too. Thanks. Chris
    FLM EMBE P4de "Digger" Slash MT Backsl4sh Summit

Cuz it requires 19volts to move

the stock evx-2 supplies a max of of 16.8 volts. Meaning you would have a slow and weak summit. The evx2 can be tricked into running 5S (19+ volts) which is where this motor needs to be at to perform well.

But since the drills are just sitting there give it a try. It might suprise.
    Last edited by noir 522; 02-15-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. Makes sense, is this the reason behind the 14v Dewalt being more popular than the 18v? Can't run the optimum voltage? I'll wait until the 775 bites the dust, then might try it. Appreciate the advice! Chris

You could also gear it low, it would be slower but would increase the torque. The ultimate performance of any motor at any set voltage depends on the gearing.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. I'll have to read up more about the Dewalt upgrade. Don't think I want to go brushless. I really want to make this a off-road crawler/trail vehicle and not worry about water. I've got the go fast Traxxas vehicles. Thanks again. Chris

RC Qualifier
    I think one of the biggest reasons people use the 14v Dewalt is if you get it from Kershaw he sells a conversion kit for the motor that makes it very easy to install. There are some threads that go back a year or two on the Summit forum where you can make your own conversion kit, if your handy you can do it yourself. I have a number of the Dewalt setups on my summits and the one that works best for crawling is the stock spur gear with an 11t pinion. You can get various pinions from Kershaw when you order the motor and kit from him.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I just fried my Hitec servo programmer trying to mess around with it. Now my 4WS is steering the wrong way again, getting a foot of snow and can't get the Summit out in it! Oh well.
    Last edited by EmaxxChris; 02-16-2015 at 12:09 PM.

It did a 4ws set up long ago that required a reverse servo (like yours it was linked to a normal direction servo so I could not simply reverse one servo without affecting the other).

Your gonna need some sodering skills and gonads to do this (along with an analog servo) but you can upen the servo and desoder the potts and resolder them in reverse. Afterwards I took a grey sharpie and marked on the outside case "reversed" so I would not mix it up later.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...s.asp?th=42253

also look on youtube for servo reversing
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Qualifier
    I thought about doing that, but all posts that showed that were on analog servos. My Hitec is digital, so I don't think it would work.