RC poster

Traxxas Summit 1:8 Brushless - which pinion gear?

Hello,
    maybe this subject was already discussed before, but I really need this advice.

I am looking for a good pinion gear (14T) and spur gear (68T) to run the summit with a
    Xrerun 150A 2200kv brushless sensored system.

Looking for a solution to run fast and to have good crawling characteristics.

Any experience what combo of pinion and spur gear is a good choice?

Thanks for your help.
    Karsten (Berlin, Germany)

RC Qualifier
    I have that exact motor/ESC with stock gears (14/68) and I'm very happy so far. But I should point out that I'm no expert and I don't want to drive in Ludicrous Speed. My dealer recommended to try stock gearing before making any investments, and it seems ok to me

RC poster
    hi michaelsjo,
    thanks for the quick reply.
    I will sure try out the stock gears before I will go maybe to 15/68 or 19/68.

regarding the programming, do you often use the crawler mode

RC Enthusiast
    I drive the same Combo (M6B) with 14/68. For me it's a good choice. Be carefull with the slipper setup.

RC Qualifier
    Re: crawler mode from program card: Nope, never tried it. But I'm new to these sorts of things so maybe someone else can fill you in

RC Qualifier
    Il tell u what u need to get for speed. Make sure ur not running stock tires for start get trenchers or rock rage. If your running 4s then go get a 23tooth pinion its the biggest that will fit with stock spur and ul get 75-80kph all day like that. I have a mm2 and i ran that setup for long time and it works great. I then moved up to 6s where i cudnt even go half throttle so now im geared 20/68 and still go over 100kph if i try. And with those setups i just gave u u will never have heat issues.

RC poster
    hey mother rocker, thanks for your advice.
    sounds great and I planned to try 19/68 on Xerun 2200kv for the beginning.
    hope to have no overheating probe with it.
    tires are already changed, Louise 3.8" uphill and other springs.
    I even want to have the chance to crawl with this set up.
    just want to have the speed power in the sand dunes and to go fast enough uphill and for jumping..

did you ever crawl with your set up (20/68)?

RC Enthusiast
    Be carfull with Louise Tires, they have more weight than prolines or stock ones. And they are balloooning.
    With this Tires i would drive less than 14/68

RC poster
    I do not ride street tires, need the power and speed to accelerate uphill on sandy ground… almost every off road tire is ballooning also
    trenchers...

RC Qualifier
    Yea trenchers and rock rage will all ballon up over 70kph. And yes i still crawl but the difference is now my truck goes faster in 1st gear then it used to in 2nd gear stock lol. People all talk about cogging with brushless but what they dont realize is that all the cogging is when your in 2nd gear which is what u dont use to crawl. When u go in 1st gear it eliminates all the cogging for the most part.