This is a thread I wanted to start to help answer any questions about upgrading to Hot Bodies D8 shocks.
I was tired of bottoming out hard on big jumps, so I decided to do something about it. It was either between these shocks, or the Team Associated SC10 4x4 shocks. Both I heard were very good, seemed very high quality, and cost around the same price.
Hot Bodies D8's
-8th Scale size & strength
-More shock body volume
-Metal Shock Caps
-Comes built in 97mm & 112mm sets
SC10 4x4 Shocks
-Less oil per shock
-Plastic Shock Caps
-Comes as a kit with 30 or 26mm shock bodies
I decided to go with the D8's. I ordered 2 sets of 97mm for $40 each. Both in one pack come built, with a baggy full of mounting screws and 2 stand-offs. Got them from RCHobbies4Life.
3 Front Options:
1. Just 97mm shocks on the stock front shock tower without changes. It will fit, but you have to mount them with the outer A-arm wholes. Not much ajustability.
2. 97mm up front using shortened rod ends and Kyosho spring cup. Takes minor modding and added time to wait for the other order. Will make the D8s a little longer than stock fronts.
3. Rear Shock Tower mod. Lets you run the shocks without changes and gives you back the ajustability.
1. Stock D8 setup works fine on the rear.
2. Stock setup with longer D8t shock ends. If you want a higher ride height.
With rear shock tower mod, front shocks use the stand-offs on the top, flush on the bottom.
D8 97mm next to Traxxas Rear Big Bores. Notice they are the same length.
Right now I'm running Losi 35wt all around, might need a little thicker.
Mounting Pics: Let me know if more are needed.
Very useful info. Thanks
Why did you pick the 97mm instead of the 112mm? I think the 112mm is closer to the length of the stock rear shocks.
But, if it keeps your from bottoming out on jumps, how does it handle? Is the shock too stiff to move up and down with terrain, and allow the body to roll a little for traction in dirt and offroad?
460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D
BL Race Emaxx
Castle/Tekin Slash 4x4
Flux Scream Muggy
When your d8's arrived pre-built, did they have oil in them, if so what weight?
Secondly how. Do you get the tops off without ruining ans scratching them up. Thanks