Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Help a guy out, I've got to be missing something.

Hey all. I'm just getting back into the world of RC vehicles and bought a Slash 4x4 Ultimate last week. It showed up on Wednesday afternoon.

I have a pile of aftermarket parts for it, but I'm sure I'm missing something. I have no plans of racing it, but I'll probably build a track like I used to back in the old days. For the most part, it'll be used to bash around with a friend.

Here is the list of goodies. Let me know what else I can buy to make it a better truck. What about the drive axles? It looks like MIP may make a couple good sets. Which are the better ones? Is there anything below that I made the wrong choice about? The motor and ESC are stock. I have the normal 7-cell battery that came with it, 5 2s batteries, and 2 3s batteries. Thanks ahead of time for your help!

RPM Front Bumper

RPM Rear Bumper

RPM Nerf Bars

RPM Front/Rear A-Arms

RPM Front Bulkhead

RPM Adjustable Body Mounts

Duratrax Pit Tech Deluxe Car Stand

Traxxas Cooling Fan Velineon VXL-3 ESC

Traxxas Aluminum Steering Blocks

Traxxas Body Clip Retainer

Traxxas Telemetry GPS Module

STRC CNC Mach Alum HD Front Shock Tower

STRC CNC Aluminum HD Rear Shock Tower

Tekno Big Bone Center Driveshaft-Outdrives

Outerwears Short Course Truck Shroud w/Zipper

VG Racing Chassis Brace

MIP makes great axles but the only downside is that they are heavier. With that outerwears cover I would get a fan for the esc and a fan/heatsink for the motor.
    Too much power is just enough

The ultimate comes with aluminum steering carriers as well as caster blocks and rear carriers.
    Some people like the vg brace others are removing them to give the chassis back the flex its supposed to have, thats pretty much a personal choice.
    Imo stay with the 2s and the stock setup will run until you have to have more power, 3s you'll be needing a new system soon since that little motor has it's work cut out for it moving that rig around.
    Welcome to the forums and enjoy the new rig.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

IMHO I'd add in an HR alum motor mount, Alum bearing adaptor and RPM mud flaps.

Otherwise it looks all good to me!
    Seek forgiveness, not permission

Caveat lector!

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

I prefer the King Headz motor mount. I also have the Hot Racing motor mount and I will never buy another. You are going to want to look into a better motor system soon.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    If any of you guys get bored, feel free to post up a link for which items you think I should buy. Thanks for all of the replies so far! I haven't been into this stuff since the middle of the 90s, so it's all new once again.

RC poster
    I see Castle Creations has a popular name for motors and speed controls. Reedy and Trinity were the hot names when I used to do this. The numbers on these motors are beyond confusing right now. I'll read up on them when I get a chance.

Spare bearings, a temp gun, and a good set of hex drivers 1.5-3mm. Blue GTR springs front and rear.

Most of that RPM stuff you don't need, same with the aluminum shock towers IMO.
    RC blog:
    http://razorrcblog.blogspot.com

RC Qualifier
    I agree with the quality set of hex drivers I have MIP'S . They're a little pricey but worth every penny. I haven't had a stripped out bolt head yet. And a temp gun. I got one off Amazon for $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Monkey View Post
    IMHO I'd add in an HR alum motor mount, Alum bearing adaptor and RPM mud flaps.

Otherwise it looks all good to me!
    Pretty sure they come with aluminum adapters as well. I definitely agree on the HR mount.
    I'm just the opposite of El Sob who is a great guy and taught me a lot of things, but I bought a kingz head first and three HR motor mounts since, I'll never buy another kingz head.
    Kingz head is fine dont get me wrong but there heavy, HR did much more machining to lighten theirs up;for me this is a big plus, HR's also have the bearing 0 ring which really makes them stand out as the superior unit imo.
    The HR's happens to cost $8 less as well.

RC Qualifier
    What's the point of the oring in the HR?
    Rustler VXL/Stampede 4x4 VXL/Slash 4x4 HCG VXL

Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    What's the point of the oring in the HR?
    It helps absorb a lot of the vibration the bearing takes thru the center shaft as well as the beating the truck takes as a hole.
    If you go with the Kingz head be sure to get El Sobs mod for prolonging bearing life, its a great mod and has helped a lot of people.
    I've never had any bearing issues with my HR mounts but only two of them see regular use, the third I bought a few weeks back for mounting my center motor plate so I can mount my motor on the top center of the truck.
    Heres a pic of it mocked up to and old stock mount I had, I'll use for measuring points.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 07-25-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling error

RC Qualifier
    Is the El Sob mod the tire foam of is there another one?

Is the El Sob mod the tire foam of is there another one?
    You are correct! It is the tire foam! I still use it to this day. It is a great mod that works wonderfully

RC Qualifier
    See I learn lol. I just got my Kingheadz mount today in the mail. Now I just need the time to change it. Looks like I will be cutting up one of my stock Slash tires to sacrifice to the El Sob foam mod lol.

See I learn lol. I just got my Kingheadz mount today in the mail. Now I just need the time to change it. Looks like I will be cutting up one of my stock Slash tires to sacrifice to the El Sob foam mod lol.
    I wish you the very best of luck, I have one in the parts drawer and there good solid mounts.
    Follow El Sobs mods and you'll be all set
    The main reason I run HR mounts now isn't the $8 you save or even the vibration damping 0 ring, I didn't even know about that till I open it,.
    I wanted a lighter mount, only after purchasing an HR unit found there were more things then weight that IMO make it a better unit for my needs.
    So much so I bought two more.

RC Qualifier
    Well I haven't opened it yet so maybe I should get the HR one and sell the KH lol. What other benefits do you think the HR has over the KH? I'm personally not really worried about the weight savings.
    Last edited by tallj2000; 07-26-2016 at 04:18 PM.

RC Racer
    You need the telemetry expander for the gps module. Dont know if you have it already as I dont see it in your list.

Well I haven't opened it yet so maybe I should get the HR one and sell the KH lol. What other benefits do you think the HR has over the KH? I'm personally not really worried about the weight savings.
    Both top quality...Billy has both, likes the HR only for weight.

I love my KH, still original bearing
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Spare bearings, a temp gun, and a good set of hex drivers 1.5-3mm. Blue GTR springs front and rear.

Most of that RPM stuff you don't need, same with the aluminum shock towers IMO.
    Do you have a link for the Gtr springs? Will they work on the stock shocks?
    Pede VXL Slash 4x4 Platinum Erevo Vxl Aton

Oh goodness no, just as MikeMcE mentioned there both great units.
    I'm sure my KH will see service again one day, I was just giving one mans opinion and thats not a lot.
    Your KH mount will do a great job and there's nothing the HR does so much better it would be worth selling the KH unit.
    Keep in mind El Sob runs both and prefers his KH, we both bought the KH first I just found personal advantages to the HR for my specific driving conditions and over all usage.
    Install it and have some fun, you bought one of the best motor mounts on the market.

RC Enthusiast
    Below are the upgrades done to my Slash 4x4 Ultimate. Sharing

Body
    - Traxxas ProGraphix Body Slash 4x4 with truck bed liner spray on the outer, and inside of fenders

Slipper Clutch Component
    - Traxxas Heavy Duty Slipper Clutch (aluminium friction pad)

Chassis & Attachment
    - Hot Racing Chassis Dirt Guard Cover
    - RPM Front Bumper Black
    - RPM Rear Bumper Black
    - RPM Nerf Bar Black
    - RPM Skid Plate Black
    - Traxxas Battery Hold-Downs (Tall)
    - VG Racing Chassis Brace

Differential
    - Front: Traxxas Differential Oil 50k
    - Rear: Traxxas Differential Oil 100k

Driveline Component
    - Front and rear: Steel-Spline Constant-Velocity Driveshaft Assembly
    - Tekno RC Big Bone Center Driveshaft / Outdrives

Front Suspension & Steering
    - RPM Front/Rear A-Arms Black
    - RPM Front Bulkhead Black
    - Traxxas Aluminium GTR Shocks Blue
    - Traxxas Aluminium Shock Tower
    - Traxxas Aluminium Turnbuckle for Camber Link
    - Traxxas Aluminium Turnbuckle for Toe Link
    - Hudy Silicone Shock Oil 65wt (-ish)
    - Traxxas Shock Spring White GTR Long 0.810 (Pink)
    - Sway Bar (Hard)

Rear Suspension
    - RPM Front/Rear A-Arms Black<)
    - Stock xx-long shock with Piston 1 (1.1mm) in Variable Damping Kit (flexible valve plate on bottom)
    - Traxxas Aluminium Shock Tower
    - Traxxas Aluminium Turnbuckle for Camber Link
    - Traxxas Silicone Shock Oil 40wt
    - Traxxas Shock Spring White GTR xx-Long 0.884 (Pink)
    - Sway Bar (Hard)

Hardware
    - RC Screwz Stainless Steel Screw Kit

Motor & Electronic
    - King Headz Aluminium Motor Mount with Bearing
    - Velineon VXL-3S ESC Cooling Fan
    - Integy Super Motor Heat Sink / Cooling Fan Blue

Battery
    - Traxxas 10,000mAh 7.4v 2-cell 25C LiPo Battery
    - Traxxas 8,400mAh 11.1v 3-cell 25C LiPo Battery

Tire & Wheel
    - Pro-Line Street Fighter SC 2.2"/3.0"; on Black Renegade Wheel on all four (for speed run and bashing on tarmac surface)
    - Pro-Line Caliber 2.0 SC 2.2"/3.0" on Black Renegade Wheel on all four (for buggy track with a thin layer of loose dirt on top of hard-packed dirt)
    - Stock Traxxas SCT Off-Road Racing tire on SCT Chrome Wheel with red beadlock........and a 45mm width x 110mm inner diameter UPVC pipe fitted on the outside on all four (for drifting on hard surface)
    - Traxxas Alias 2.8" Ribbed Pattern on All-Star Black Chrome Wheel on all four (for bashing / power-sliding on concrete surface)

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryan93civic View Post
    Do you have a link for the Gtr springs? Will they work on the stock shocks?
    If you bought an Ultimate, then it came with GTR shocks and you need to buy GTR springs. They come in different colors (stiffness), I'd start with blue. Part #'s 7448, 7449
    RC blog:
    http://razorrcblog.blogspot.com

RC Qualifier
    No the Platinum Slash is my boys and his has the Gtr shocks I think. My Slash is just the basic 4x4 Tsm Hcg model. I am trying to upgrade my shocks but still learning how this stuff works LOL.
    Pede VXL Slash 4x4 Platinum Erevo Vxl Aton

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I wish you the very best of luck, I have one in the parts drawer and there good solid mounts.
    Follow El Sobs mods and you'll be all set
    The main reason I run HR mounts now isn't the $8 you save or even the vibration damping 0 ring, I didn't even know about that till I open it,.
    I wanted a lighter mount, only after purchasing an HR unit found there were more things then weight that IMO make it a better unit for my needs.
    So much so I bought two more.
    What is the weight difference between the KH and HR mount?
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BenModelBouw View Post
    You need the telemetry expander for the gps module. Dont know if you have it already as I dont see it in your list.
    I found that out today when most of my stuff arrived, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by badaml View Post
    What is the weight difference between the KH and HR mount?
    Its been sometime since I weighed them but if I recall ( this is trying to remember nearly a year ago) is was around 8 grams.
    I remember the KH was about 27 grams total and the Hr was 19grams if memory servers correctly.
    When you hold them next to each other you can see HR took more aluminum from the back where KH left theres flat.
    I'll have to get out my scale and both mounts to give an exact number as its been nearly a year since I weighed them.
    Both were done without the bearings installed.
    My reason for buying the other HR's was when I found the 0 ring as well.
    Both are perfect fits and great replacements.
    Also KH is 7075 aluminum and I believe HR is 6061.
    While 7075 is actually a stronger and heavier aluminum, 6061 with a tensile strength of 45000psi an rc would be hard pressed to hurt it before destroying the entire rig.

RC Qualifier
    Oh goodness no, just as MikeMcE mentioned there both great units.
    I'm sure my KH will see service again one day, I was just giving one mans opinion and thats not a lot.
    Your KH mount will do a great job and there's nothing the HR does so much better it would be worth selling the KH unit.
    Keep in mind El Sob runs both and prefers his KH, we both bought the KH first I just found personal advantages to the HR for my specific driving conditions and over all usage.
    Install it and have some fun, you bought one of the best motor mounts on the market.

Sorry that was meant with sarcasm. Sarcasm doesn't work to well over the computer lol. I don't plan on selling it. Still gonna do the El Sob mod and mount it in my Slash. My Stampede might get the HR mount in the future though.

Sorry that was meant with sarcasm. Sarcasm doesn't work to well over the computer lol. I don't plan on selling it. Still gonna do the El Sob mod and mount it in my Slash. My Stampede might get the HR mount in the future though.
    No worries, just didn't want you to think you had a bad product when in fact you have one of the best.
    Heck if we all liked the same thing it would be a pretty boring forum,

RC Qualifier
    Why yes it would. That's why this hobby is great. Build options are endless. That's why this forum is so great. I can't take ideas from all these different builds to make one that suits my taste.

RC Qualifier
    Its been sometime since I weighed them but if I recall ( this is trying to remember nearly a year ago) is was around 8 grams.
    I remember the KH was about 27 grams total and the Hr was 19grams if memory servers correctly.
    When you hold them next to each other you can see HR took more aluminum from the back where KH left theres flat.
    I'll have to get out my scale and both mounts to give an exact number as its been nearly a year since I weighed them.
    Both were done without the bearings installed.
    My reason for buying the other HR's was when I found the 0 ring as well.
    Both are perfect fits and great replacements.
    Also KH is 7075 aluminum and I believe HR is 6061.
    While 7075 is actually a stronger and heavier aluminum, 6061 with a tensile strength of 45000psi an rc would be hard pressed to hurt it before destroying the entire rig.
    Thanks for the info. I have had the KH mount for a few years now, have had no issues. But...weight savings is always good.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Enthusiast
    I would look at the new Pro-Line axles. Built like MIP's but lighter.

RC poster
    I went back and forth between those and the MIP's for two days. There is so little information on how they are, so I went with the MIP's. I also bought the parts for the Revo clutch upgrade and for the motor mount, I ended up going with an STRC. Whether or not that was a good choice, I don't know. The KH has great reviews, the reviews seem more mixed on the HR one, and they are positive on the STRC one as well. KH isn't sold by the place I put my order in at, so STRC got the nod.

Why do people think I'll end up wanting a different motor setup?

RC Qualifier
    LOL...Trust us, you will. The truck is fine left stock and running on 2s. But who does that. Start adding weight (MIPS) bigger tires and 3s. Here comes the heat. Your next thread is going to be what 1/8 scale system should I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by troyfisher123 View Post
    I went back and forth between those and the MIP's for two days. There is so little information on how they are, so I went with the MIP's. I also bought the parts for the Revo clutch upgrade and for the motor mount, I ended up going with an STRC. Whether or not that was a good choice, I don't know. The KH has great reviews, the reviews seem more mixed on the HR one, and they are positive on the STRC one as well. KH isn't sold by the place I put my order in at, so STRC got the nod.

Why do people think I'll end up wanting a different motor setup?
    I am all about Mip X-Duty axles! I have had a set for over five years now. They still work great! I personally don't do anything to them. They have seen stock motors, a Novak SC 5.5, a few different El Sob special motor systems and a RC Gear Shop 2150. Billy bones is correct, if we all liked the same thing it would get a little dull here

RC poster
    So what motor and ESC is stupid fast and that is a direct fit for this truck? Since I started this post I bought another Ultimate. I'll keep the second one bone stock.

I run everything from castle 2400kv thru castle 2200kv and imo the 2650kv castle with my MM2 is my favorite all around setup.
    The only complaint if you can even call it that is the 2200kv needs 4s to really come to life imo, since its in my speed rig and runs 4s and 6s only this is no big deal.
    That said on 3s imo its a bit lacking when the 2650kv is wicked fast on 3s and a monster on 4s.
    I run the 2400kv's in my 2wd rigs and they are some sweet setups but will also move the 4wd slash with ease as El Sob can attest to as I believe he runs them pretty much exclusively with great satisfaction.

RC poster
    As stupid as this may sound, I'd like to stay away from 4s right now because I don't want to buy another charger. I bought the dual Traxxas EZ Peak thing and I'm not so sure that's 4s capable. I'm sure it's not the best available, but it's simple and easy enough for my nephew to use when he has to. I also didn't expect to be dropping this much on one, and most definitely didn't plan on buying a second week later. What are the differences going to be between the motors you mentioned. You said the MM2 is your favorite all around? That's an ESC, correct? Sorry for the questions. I should've just started a thread and said you folks can pick what I buy and made this a whole lot easier, lol.

RC Qualifier
    I would also recommend the 2650. Its a great motor for the slash 4x4. It runs great on 3s. I'm geared 20 tooth pinoin, 54 t spur and hitting 55mph. It will wheelie on demand if you want and no heat issues. I paired it with the hobby wing Sc8. So far I like it. Also no heat issues. And not very expensive.

RC poster
    Or should I consider buying something that is 4s capable yet pretty wicked on 3s? This is becoming a battle with a friend of mine and myself and it's getting expensive! Neither one of us like to be outdone. I've had better luck between the two of us, as the first day he had it when he bent his driveshaft, next time he drove it he stripped a serval gear, and the next time he broke an axle. Mine has remained injury free so far.